Couple of questions re bridge pickup volume/Maestro setup

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by electricfurnace, Jan 27, 2015.

1. electricfurnace

electricfurnace New Member

Further to my thread about dating my SG, had a couple of other questions if you don't mind.

Firstly, pickups:

Guitar has untouched solder joints and the original T-Top pickups. All wiring is original as are the pots. Now, even with the bridge pickup raised right up to the strings and the neck pickup wound down, the bridge pickup is ALOT quieter and weaker sounding than the neck pickup. I've stuck a multimeter on the end of a jack lead and the resistance of both pickups in ohms is appx 7.5ohms on the neck and 7.8ohms on the bridge. Any idea why my bridge is sounding weaker?

Secondly, trem setup:

with the Maestro trem, does any one have a pic of how the strings should 'sit'? There isn't much clearance between the bit of the Maestro nearest the bridge - the plate bit - and the strings at present - they are nearly touching the plate and a couple of them may be slightly touching if that makes sense. Back of the trem is lower than the front bit near the bridge. Also when I stick the arm back out of the way, the tip of the arm touches the back of the body. Is this normal?

Thirdly, bridge:

The bridge sits slightly at an angle - whats the best way of repairing this? Will it need re drilling/mounting?

Cheers
    Alex
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. electricfurnace

electricfurnace New Member

3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Pickup volume: The strings vibrates with less amplitude near the bridge and less volume as a consequence. I'd don't tend to notice the difference with louder volume and in a band setting. The human ear does not have a linear response. (One of the reasons a bass amp is usually four times more powerful than a guitar amp). The treble pickup stands out more in the mix (and sounds louder) because it picks up more of the higher frequenciy component of the sound. The neck PUP tends overlaps with the bass guitar and needs a bit more volume to stand out.

Angle:
    The Strings angle from the bridge to maestro looks fine to me. Any greater angle and strings would rest on the bridge. Any less angle and it wouldn't seat on the bridge properly.

Maestro spring: sits above the body. So many new model maestros rest on the body. Bad. Plenty of clearance to swing through the movement.

Bridge posts: the bridge postion looks ok. You have clearance and the front and at the back of the bridge. (You don't want the strings rest on the bridge). You could check if posts are bent. Over time posts can bend slightly due to string pressure or hand resting on the bridge. In any case, if it plays well, I'd leave it as is.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Here's what I would do:

1. Lower the bridge pickup some. Always leave at least 1/4" clearance between the pickup and the strings.

2. Make sure the strings are grounded. Measure with your ohm meter from the bridge/strings all the way to the output jack nut. Also make sure the strings are conductive. I've seen certain acoustic brand strings to be non-conductive and have almost no magnetic output.

3. Simple test: When you tap on each pickups pole pieces with a small metal screwdriver, are they at the same volume level? (check at each switch position).

Please report results.

H.

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member

What do you mean at an angle? Do you refer to not being parallel with the surface/top of the guitar? Or, do you mean not parallel with the pickup?

The 2nd, is the way it is supposed to be so that the guitar will intonate properly.

The first, I don't really see it in the pics.