Couple of super cheap pedals...

Sweetums

Reaction score
Just got these recently and have really been enjoying them...

[GALLERY=media, 542]IMG_2950 by Sweetums posted Jul 25, 2015 at 10:32 PM[/GALLERY]
First up is the Donner Alchemy with 8 modulation effects (chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, pan, rotary, univibe, & vibrato) and 2 modes each, so there are many unique sounds. The normal and deluxe modes just sound different like how 2 different chorus pedals from different makers will sound different. From what I can tell this is the same pedal as the Nux Mod Core. I've been pretty impressed so far, I've been mainly using the tremolo, chorus, and flanger but they all sound good to me. The vibrato's deluxe mode has a pretty cool feature, where you actually press down on the footswitch to activate the vibrato "bend", so a short bend would get a short footswitch tap, a deep bend would need a longer press down on the footswitch.
- Two inputs and stereo out
- Good sound quality
- You can lock your favorite setting for traveling
- Comparable casing, knobs, and switch as the TC Electronic Hall of Fame it's sitting next to on my pedalboard
- Covers a wide ranger of sounds, like a modulation sampler
- Should be able to get it for under $50 US. Mine was 40 from Amazon with free shipping.

[GALLERY=media, 541]IMG_2951 by Sweetums posted Jul 25, 2015 at 10:32 PM[/GALLERY]
Next up is the Lock, Stock, & Barrel Distortion from Outlaw. It's got 3 types of distortion to choose from, selectable from a small 3-way switch. My favorite is Barrel, which has a very retro feel and reminds me of some classic rock sounds from the 70s. The other two are a crunchy distortion and more high gain. The controls are Level (aka volume), Tone, & Gain. The small Level and Tone knobs only had a notch as a marker, but I put a little white correction fluid in the notch and wiped the excess off so you could actually see where it was pointing. The pedal is a bit noisy but if you don't care about a little buzz this may be a lot of fun.
- 3 good distortions in one small pedal
- Can change sounds with the flip of a switch
- Should be able to get it for under $50 US. Mine was 49 from Musician's Friend with free shipping.

[GALLERY=media, 537]IMG_2949 by Sweetums posted Jul 25, 2015 at 9:29 PM[/GALLERY]

Last edited:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Two very interesting pedals, and a great board you have there. With 4 distortion pedals and an OD, I suspect you make a lot of noise! :dude:

Sweetums

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm a sucker for the dirt pedals. If something had to get kicked off the board it would be the Double Muff just cause it sounds too similar to the Germanium Big Muff in double mode and the Hot Tubes in single mode. That's crazy because on it's own the Double Muff is a fantastic pedal!

Last edited:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
full

How are you getting that Double Muff to work well after the OD/Distortion? I find it's a great pedal, but a bit of a bastard to sort out with others...

& how are you using that compressor if you don't mind me asking; everyone keeps suggesting I get one, but I've never used one - I've seen them used to keep the notes ringing out in a sustainy kinda way; sound pretty good.

Dave_Death

Reaction score
I run the fuzz before a lot of other pedals, before my wah and auto-wah and I don't use OD or distortion together with fuzz

I figure fuzz is noisy anyway so you might as well go the whole hog and squeeze a fuzzed out signal through a wah like Hendrix

Sweetums

Reaction score
Bettyboo, you're right about the Double Muff not getting along with some of the other OD/distortion pedals. I haven't really been using it with other pedals, more by itself. However, most of the other pedals on that board sound good with each other. That Double Muff will probably be moved off the board soon because it sounds too similar to the Big Muff 4 and the Hot Tubes.

In addition to using it for sustain, the compression is also good for making pick attack or fingerpicked parts even and uniform. You can set it so that a lightly plucked string will have the same volume as a strongly plucked string. I find this really helpful for some styles and sounds.

Latest posts