Custom Shop SG '61 Reissue vs 2019 SG High Performance

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rock-guitar, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Rock-guitar

Rock-guitar New Member

Hi Experts. I have 2019 SG High Performance (Blueberry Burst) which i absolutely love! My main genre is hard rock. Currently have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Custom Shop '61 SG Standard Reissue. Unfortunately probably wont get a chance to play the '61 reissue prior to purchase. So my question is :- is there likely to be enough difference in tone between the custom shop '61 reissue and the 2019 HP to really make it worthwhile to go ahead with '61 purchase? Thanks.

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Your 2019 SG HP is an incredible SG, only GForce tuners are heavy.

With a set of KLUSON Revolution tuners that' s perfect

SG Standard TBK 30.jpg

3. papagayo

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand your question - you make it sound as though a big difference in tone would be a good thing (worth buying for), yet you love the '19 HP, and presumably it's tone is part of why you love it. So do you really want a different tone? Or do you just want another SG... like most of us. :)

What'll make a difference tone wise is really very different pickups, and they can easily be changed, if the difference is too small, or too great, so not a massive factor.

BTW, if you happen to want to change machine heads, take a look a Graph Tech Ratio tuners - they really are 'high performance' tuners, so would suit the HP down to the ground. Nothing wrong with Klusons if you want to turn it into an ordinary SG. ;)

arcticsg likes this.
  5. papagayo

KLUSON Revolution is the best upgrage, 19:1 high ratio, very smooth tune, Hi-Tech, nice vintage style and ... Light Weight :cheers:

SG Standard TBK 43.jpg

6. Rock-guitar

Rock-guitar New Member

Hi guys. Thanks very much for your replies and insights. As it happens, my SG HP came with Grover locking tuner which work very well and dont appear to be too heavy. Good point about wanting 2 SG guitars. Made me realise that probably is my true motivation! So the question changes slightly to something like "Would a second-hand 2012 Custom Shop '61 reissue be a good complimentary guitar purchase for the owner of a late model SG High Performance that likes to play Rock?"

7. SG standard

19:1 is a good ratio for the D & B strings, less so for the others. To produce a similar tuning response to that on the low E would need a 39:1 ratio, and the top E would be 12:1 (based on a ration of 20:1 for D & B). Which is why they're not 'the best' tuners - something I can say just as categorically as you can contradict it.

Ratio tuners have balanced ratios, very smooth and precise tuning action, are Hi-Tech, have a choice of vintage or modern styles and ... are Light Weight. :cheers:

Is the pope a Catholic?

Classic and modern SGs - sounds good to me :)

8. papagayo

Very good joke, 4 different tuners on a same guitare? Brillant ... LOL

SG Standard TBK 206.jpg

9. SG standard

Four? Only if you're playing a bass... :rofl:

[​IMG]