Darn! Someone just gave me an idea for another Tele mod!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ChubbyFingers, Jan 9, 2021.

1. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

Currently I've got Fender 4th generation Noiseless in the neck and bridge, 4-way switch mod. They're nice but nothing spectacular.

The idea is to fit a Seymour Duncan 'lil 59 neck Tele sized humbucker in the bridge with a push-pull coil split and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in the neck. 3-way switch.

What say you lot?

2. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Consider wiring in a 5 position strat selector switch and using 2 dpdt push-pulls for phase reversal.

3. No Talent

No Talent New Member

I have never test driven or owned a tele with a neck humbucker but sure would like to someday. In fact, for my next guitar I have been considering picking up an Fender American Performer with a neck humbucker.

If you do that let me know how it sounds.

4. JH1968

JH1968 New Member

If you do try the mod I have an older Duncan stacked tele pup that I’m about to take out of one of my other teles. If you want it let me know.

5. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Nothin' finer than 4 single coils in parallel !

Kinda' has a ring to it !

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Only need one dpdt for phase reversal. There's no point doing it to both pickups.

7. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

My $0.02:

Leave the noiseless in the neck and put the Lil ‘59 in the bridge, then coil split the bridge with either a push-pull pot or a four-way Switch. That way, you still get that beautiful Tele neck sound and you can kinda swap between the meatiness of a humbucker and the clarity of a single-coil on the bridge. That’s what I would do, at least.

8. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

When I do "phase reversal" ,
    I reverse the polarity of ONE coil on each humbucker individually.
    On SG HP-II's, you can set their dip switches to make the pull-up pots do that.
    That's where I got it from.
    It really does sound killer !

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    donepearce likes this.
  9. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    OK I only change the relative phase of two pickups.

10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

My favorite combo is a P-90 at the neck and a Humbucker at the bridge.

11. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

I reverse the polarity of ONE coil on each humbucker individually.

Selectively, on the fly, with the push-pull pots.

12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Member

I didn't do the 4 way switch on this one, but it was a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary neck pickup and a Lil '59 in the bridge. I had the tone knob wired with a pull switch to tap the coil on the '59. I think I messed around with different pot values and dropped the tone cap to 0.022uF (maybe 0.015uF but I forget).

I used it for a few open mic/jam sessions but eventually put it back to standard and traded it for my SG. I missed the brighter bridge pickup sound that I get from my other Telecaster, but didn't care so much for the two options on the Lil '59.

Anyway, just to give you an idea of how it might look (depending if yours is a sunburst too I guess). I cut the humbucker hole as I bought an Esquire 'guard in Bakelite as I like the look.

Based on a MIM Classic 50s Telecaster:
    Full view edit.jpg

I just 'finished' this Partscaster Tele. It started off as an Esquire, but I decided I didn't need it and my other Tele (a White Classic 50s) so I put a neck pickup in it. What you can't see is that I put an Eric Clapton mid boost under the 'guard. Gives an extra range of sounds that fatten the tone, going back to a twangy tone if you turn the mid boost down (it's in place of the tone knob):

Tele 5 edit.jpg

The hidden mid boost (not very clean routing, but it doesn't show once the 'guard is fitted), before I converted it to a Tele:

Esquire 4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  13. ChubbyFingers

Update:

The MIM Tele got its Fender Gen 4 noiseless pickups back, plus a 5- way Fender Super-Switch.

I now have:

1 - bridge only
    2 - bridge plus neck in series with neck phase inverted
    3- bridge plus neck parallel
    4 - bridge plus neck in series but in phase
    5 - neck only.

I'm working on a DIY Tele-type also, which will get the Seymour Duncan stacked neck and the S-D Little '59 bridge humbucker. It too is getting a 5-way Super Switch plus a push-push to coil split the humbucker.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  14. ChubbyFingers

Clariying: one push-pull would have been to coil split the humbucker, a second to do the phase inversion. it turned out there isn't "room under the hood" for a second push-pull anyway, as the MIM has a step half-way along the control cavity and right where a push-pull volume would sit. Room for one at the tone? Yes. Volume? No.

Instead I refitted the Fender Gen 4 noiseless pickups and a 5-way Super Switch and get the phase inversion that way.

The DIY Tele I'm working on is getting the S-D stack and humbucker, a 5-way switch and a single push-push to coil split the humbucker.