David Gilmour's signature GHS strings

Dadou

Reaction score
Hi all, this morning I received the GHS Gilmour signature that I bought from Thomann a couple of days ago.

As you can see from my avatar, I am a great fan of the man so I got attracted by these strings, especially considering that they're cheaper than my usual Ernie Ball (10s) and even a third of their street price here (a friend bought them in Lyon after I told him about them). I am not a fan of signature products though, so I was a bit skeptical and the price tag ultimately made me buy them

so here they are, they come in two different gauges, depending on the scale of the guitar: There's the one for Gibsons which is thicker, yet thinner than Ernie Ball Heavy bottoms, and the one for Fenders which are thinner. I have only restrung my SG so far and it screams!!! I had a little bit of loss in volume after the 15th fret and now it's all gone, the guitar sustains for days and the bass strings have that little extra bite I was looking for.

Here are a couple of "artsy" pics I took (they suck I know):
InstagramCapture_40d3abc0-138d-4a64-91e8-01f1a756b953_zpsc2d965c1.jpg Photo by Dadou93 | Photobucket
WP_20141024_003_zpsc281286d.jpg Photo by Dadou93 | Photobucket

lineboat

Reaction score
I used GHS Boomers forever. I tried some of the Gilmours on a Strat, and found them to be niticably better, but in the end went back to the Boomer 10s just to make it easier. (I've since changed to Elixers BTW, due to them being coated and lasting forever in a case) Glad you like em though!

dcwave

Reaction score
Since you went from a set of standard 10s, did you do any nut work for the gauge change on the lower strings? Granted it's only a small amount... I ask because my bone nut was cut for EB 10s and i was thinking of dropping a set of DG GHS on the strat and really don't want to screw with cutting the nut grooves.

Dadou

Reaction score
i haven't put them on my strat yet so I don't know. I had heavy bottoms on it before the current set and those worked just fine without having to file the slots.
I didn't file the slots on my sg either and no issues so far so...

Dadou

Reaction score
I'm sorry dreamscape, but I don't. My strat is equipped with TexMex pups and I feel no need for a new pup set atm.
If I were to change the pups, I'd go for a 69 fender CS pups set or lace sensors. That being said, I love Gilmour's tone with the EMGs, but I'm just not into active electronics

Latest posts