Derek Trucks SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by jigman, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jigman

jigman Member

Duz anybody know if Truck's SG is a reissue or an original-and what year is it? He is an incredible player-saw him live at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle.

2. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

No idea, but I love the way he plays!! 8)

3. stairway27

stairway27 New Member

DT's SG

Hey Jigman -

Don't know if you ever got the answer to your question, but according to the DTB website, Derek's SG is a "custom" 62 reissue. Although it said "custom", it appears to be a standard. I had heard at one time his SG was an original early 60's and was a gift from Butch (of the ABB), but I have a hard time believing DT would take a vintage guitar on the road with all the gigging he does. So, I'd have to go with a reissue standard.

I saw DTB at the Great American Music Hall in SF on the same tour as you. I was about 5' from him the whole night and he just blew me away. Unbelievable tone from just a SG, cable and Super Reverb. He had a little teak wood Buddha on his amp. I've been searching all over for one just like it since I heard it's "the mod" that helps him get his incredible tone - ha!

You should check out dtbsetlists.com. They have the Tavern show available for (free) download.

SW27

4. Clearview

Clearview Member

The Tractor Tavern is a small, killer little club in Ballard. I used to live right up the street. That must have been a great show

5. stairway27

stairway27 New Member

Oh, 1 Other Thing...

By "custom", I'm assuming that meant that DT ordered a reissue standard w/ the vibrato tailpiece factory installed. When I saw him in SF, he had taken the arm of the vibrato, but still had the vibrato tailpiece on.

Similar to putting an aluminum stop tailpiece on, I'm sure that particular set up has a big impact on his overall tone. Kinda like a Bigsby on a Gretsch, Les Paul or 335.

Well, gotta get back to my "Volunteered Slavery"...aka WORK

6. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Re: Oh, 1 Other Thing...

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth! :?

7. jigman

jigman Member

I cannot even explain how good that show was. Probably in the top 5 guitar shows/display's of talent I have ever seen. Of course, that's just based upon the list of folks I have seen live. My order would go like this:

1. Steely Dan (Jeff Baxter, Denny Dias)
    2. The original Allman Brothers (featuring Duane)
    3. The unbelievable collective prowess of Lynyrd Skynyrd (S. Gaines, A. Collins, Gary Rossington, Sorry Ed King you werent in the band when I saw them)
    4. Jimi Hendrix
    5. Jeff Beck
    6. Derek Trucks
    7. Jay Roberts (son of the great Howard Roberts ) In a jazz duo in a small club

8. lanman

lanman Member

Jigman, great taste in music bro. I saw Derek Trucks last year at the Greek Theatre here in Los Angeles......I'm still smilin'.......You are right about the Skynyrd Boys......the original band live was an assault on the senses.....they just kept comin at ya.

9. jigman

jigman Member

Yeah Derek's awesome. Its funny sometimes watching him play with the Allman's. He'll take a solo slide break and Warren Haynes will just kinda shake his head. And you can tell Warrens trying to hold back his awestruckedness at "the kid". And that's something coming from a player like Haynes. No wonder Derek is into all sorts of eastern mysticism and stuff, since its almost like Duane found a way back to finish what he started. Just slightly change "the look" to not blow too many fragile minds.
    Be interestin to know if Trucks owns a Harley.