Derek Trucks Vibrola unit?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by saxosim, May 20, 2012.

1. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hi All

I have been thinking for a while about getting a maestro Vibrola for my SG but am always a little worried about tuning issues plus I didn't really want to leave 2 holes in the body when removing the stop bar.

Anyway I was on the Gibson site today looking at SGs and noticed that the Derek Trucks SG has a Vibrola fitted minus the mechanism so he still has his stop bar fitted with no tuning issues and it looks good.

Anyone know if you can buy one like this aftermarket so I can fit it to my SG special or if I bought a maestro Vibrola could I remove the mechanism so it looks like the Derek trucks one?

Cheers :)

2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

allparts sells a maestro unit, tho you wont get any fancy engraving on the cover.
    and i dont see any reason why it wont look like the derek trucks one.

3. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

I have some experience of Vibrolas (on my '64 SG Std and the Allparts one on my "Fool") and I can't be sure how the Derek Trucks one has been modified. The trapeze that supports the lyre cover has a flange at the strap-button end linked to the block that hold the spring steel tremolo section. The cover screws into the sides of both ends of the trapeze so by cutting the trem piece off the end you may eliminate two of the fixings. You'd then need to find an alternative method of holding the cover in place behind the stop tailpiece. That's not to say that the things can't be modded, I just think it's an ugly and expensive way of going about it. Have a look at pics of Clapton with the Fool SG in various incarnations and you will see that he too modified the Vibrola, going from a standard set-up (albeit without the cover) to one without the comb string holder, and finally, one where the strings seem to be fixed straight to the trapeze. How??? :dunno:

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

You could wrap a string around the holder by looping it through the ball end..or removing the ball and/or using a plain loop end.

5. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Cheers I think I will keep hunting for an original maestro for the right price and fit it working to the SG, I suppose if i get tuning problems I could just take the arm off and hopefully it should stay in tune it it is not used as a trem. The main reason I want one is for the look of it, the Bigsby on my goldtop is mainly for aesthetics even though I have fixed the tuning issues so it mostly stays in tune now I am please
    To say

6. javamagic

I can't quote specific pics of the Fool SG but from what I've seen the "trapeze", as I have described it, is essentially the long vibrola, sans cover, and with the curved spring steel section removed (or so it appears to me). That bit is held into the bar end of said trapeze with a couple of pins, so easily removed. The big question is how did Clapton hook the strings to the bar end of the trapeze? It looks to me like it is screwed down onto the top of the guitar so you couldn't loop them around it. Any suggestions for the ways in which the Fool's vibrola was modded through its various incarnations? Perhaps we need some input from Eric himself - or someone closely connected with him? :dunno:

7. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Yeah, Eric might just show up in here after selling out to Fender.
    Gimmie a break.

8. javamagic

He sold out to Fender about 40 years ago and I dare say he's forgotten he owned a psychedelic SG prior to that! Y'know what they say: "If you can remember the sixties you weren't there." :laugh2:

Off the Derek Trucks topic I know but I'm still interested to hear theories about the modded vibrola on the Fool.

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

This may sound silly, but I like his stuff better before:

He switched to Fender (other than the Layla album)

He cleaned up and detoxed

He went unplugged

He got influenced by Delaney Bramlett (sing more play less is the idea)

and more I'm sure I've forgotten.

Yes he can still play very well; I just haven't heard anything more innovative from him than his early playing, particularly Cream and that era give or take a few years and bands.

Don't flame me too much for stating my opinion - I do love Clapton.

10. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I know I've said this already in some rant but....

The high point of his career is the last twelve notes
    of the solo in I Feel Free. First Cream album first song.
    Nothing before of since has come close. Raw emotion!
    The sheer joy expressed in those 12 notes........

11. javamagic

Did I say I was a Clapton fan? I'm in agreement with you and Tony M in that he was a much more explosive and exciting player when he was doing the drugs.

That said I did recently watch a Youtube clip of Blind Faith playing "Had to Cry Today" in Hyde Park, June 1969 - a gig I was at!!!!:thumb: - and his playing there was first rate. :)

12. stdio

stdio Member

I hope no one flames me either, but my basic problem with Clapton - in terms of being a "blues god" or whatever label you want to use, is that I'm young enough to have heard his influences first. It kind of ends there, for the most part.

13. TNT

TNT Active Member

The '70 Standard when I bought it had a trapeze tailpiece mostly hidden under the frame of the Lyre cover. The plate on the trapeze with the diamond shape embossed positions over the curled part at the top of the Lyre's frame where the string holder bar/ vibrato arm would go and the frame of the trapeze just sits inside the Lyre's frame with no mods . It wouldn't look exactly like Trucks' but would give a similar effect.

14. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Doesn't the Trucks SG have a stop tail and
    a regular lyre with the curved part removed
    to make room for the stoptail?

15. Brownsound

Brownsound Member

Im really considering one of these....I like the look of no pickguard and the cover piece. I dont know how that will affect tone but it seems good enough for Derek. Its an interesting model at a good price too.

16. Dave24309

Dave24309 New Member

I'm wondering myself about how the Derek Trucks SG differs from a 61 Reissue SG. Other than the lack of pickguard, addition of "nonfunctional" tail piece and different value pots, how else might it differ? The bevels? (I also noted the price difference.)

17. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

derek trucks does use a 61 reissue, but it is the limited edition from 2000/01 that came with a maestro.

from guitar player mag.
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/derek-trucks/8986
    What’s your current gear, and what kind of adjustments do you make at sound check?
    My main guitar is a 2000 SG ’61 Reissue loaded with ’57 Classic humbuckers and tuned to open E [E, B, E, G#, B, E, low to high]. We hacked off the vibrato, and put a stoptail on it.

so if comparing that 2000/01 with the production '61 reissue, the main difference is basically the bevels which is more 60s like, and which i guess his signature model also follows.

18. Dave24309

Dave24309 New Member

Thanks for the response. I would also assume that a standard reissue pick guard would fit as well? It sounds like a good value in an SG....

19. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

I just read on the Vibramate site that they are developing a new kit to allow the fitment of a Maestro Vibrola called a VM100 kit. Not sure of a release date as it doesn't say but I will definitely be putting one on my special faded now if I can reverse it without fear of leaving any damage if any tuning issues etc bother me too much. Will have to start searching for a reasonably priced Vibrola to buy and keep ready if such a thing exists as I know they usually demand a premium. If anyone sees one for sale reasonably priced please let me know. I looked at but don't really want the Allparts version though as the cover isn't engraved.

20. javamagic

Get the Allparts cover engraved with the image of your choice. :)