DH is trying to figure out a chord...

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Aquablue, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

Hi! I'm fairly new here...and 1st time on this forum...DH is trying to figure out 2 chords in Joe Cocker's version of Chain of Fools...

He said it happens though out the song, but he noticed it first after the lyrics "....link in chain".....and "you got me where you....."

I didn't notice anything special there....but he is leaning toward the C w/added 9th and B w/added 9th...but still not sure if that is right...

Sigh...since I understand a lot of y'all are pro's at this stuff....he would appreciate your help! I'm jut the middle man! His fingers are busy on the fret board at the moment!

TIA!
    Megan

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Is there a link to the exact song anywhere so we could hear it?

3. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

Well....I downloaded it from Walmart for him...I'll see if the 30 second clip will give the 'right spot' of the song....brb!

4. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

I had DH listen to the clip from Walmart....the chord progression is at the 22-24 second mark...

http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/catalog/servlet/SearchServlet;jsessionid=CKHNFfbk2YbxfXxQXxfJrDGdRmqix1NbAGpwE9n6697xIcryEcDC!1590082487?term=chain+of+fools&action=song&x=14&y=9

TIA for taking the interest! DH thinks it may be a 'minor' type thing...but it will drive him nuts to play this song out w/o the right chords...sigh....

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

Joe Rooster or Joe Cokker? :D :? He's censored!

Does DH stand for "da husband"?

6. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

:) Yep (he crows!) And Yep! DH is Dear Husband, or Darn Husband....depending on the day! (or moment!) ;)

7. ess

ess Guest

sounds like a D chord shape up at the 12th and moving the thinny down one to me.

8. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

:roll: DH is now ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz in his BFD chair! I even tried to wake him to tread this to him...he snorked!!!! :shock:

I wrote this down for him to see later...geez....and who the heck has been up since 5am! No nap for me yet! Guess I sound a bit jealous...

Oh...and BFD stand for Big Fat Daddy! :p

9. Voxman

Oh you'd be surprised at the hours we keep here as I'm up at 4/4:30 am too....... :?

10. Voxman

Ok There's a lot going on there....the horns, guitar, Bass, and keys! Depending on what you want to say there are many options some can be too busy and clutter the motif....

The basic movement is typical R&B I believe with the 1st chord being a "D" @ the 5th fret....then an "A" /C#, A being barred @ the second fret but the third finger is on "C#" on the A string......Then An "A" again BUT with a B on the A string which is "A add9" and the horns are also doing "Stabs" on that chord with a "D" on the B string, so we get into an ambiguous sounding "A 11 add9" chord to a line resolution to "E"! Depending on the instrumentation one needs to be careful not to step on the other instruments lines there...In a three or four piece there's Carte Blanch as long as it's in context and then there's a whole can of R&B worms to open up which are traditions and techniques that are that style! That's my over analyzed take on that riff...hope it helps?.... :? :lol:

11. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

THANK YOU! DH stumbled up to bed before I read this...I copy/pasted and printed it out...it is next to the coffee pot! Maybe I should move it next to the guitar....he may see it there first!

I'll let ya know if it makes sense to him.....I agree...there is so much going on in 3-4 beats...who would notice what he played....he would! So I guess that counts....we have a keyboard and bass player in the band....singer also plays harmonica...along w/DH...so it can sound a busy as they want it to be....

Thank you again! Megan

12. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

13. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

Thank you once again! I sent him the link...off to eat! Take care!!! :)

14. Voxman

Cool one BW! But if you cop the Proper R & B feel and technique it doesn't much matter what you play as long as the chords are right! Later ion the evening I've also heard some other cool things that are hidden back in the mix that are fun to play! And I listened to the other offerings there and sole a bunch of cool R & B ideas from each one... I especially liked Bill {Fisrells} ? version for some nice ideas too....

15. SG Lou

Very True Vox ! :wink:

16. Aquablue

Aquablue Member

Sorry it has taken so long to get back in here! I printed a few pages of stuff off for DH...he thnx y'all for taking the time to help him out....me too!!!!

The band has kind of decided (not DH) to put new music on the back burner...so...they won't be playing this one soon.......DH is still playing it though! Thank you for your help and the link for the tabs...bookmarked for the future!

I'm getting the old boot from here now....DSS#1 (Dear Step Son #1) needs the computer for homework....yes...he has had allllllll week to get it done! And bedtime in in 25 minutes....a 2 page paper to write and type...Geez....

Hugs to y'all! :)

Have a good one!

17. SG Lou

:lol: Typical Teenager :lol: :lol: