Did I find a Les Paul I don’t hate?

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
No, I found 2...

I had looked at the gold top p90 Les Pauls, and kinda thought they were ok, but not enough to ever buy one...

Now I find these 2, and can’t decide which I like more...

I understand the BFG came out a few years ago and had a Humbucker in the bridge and a p90 in the neck.... totally missed them when they came out.

Classic player in satin ocean blue...
C89FD341-8596-4B01-BC31-095B789F4C3A.jpeg

And the BFG....

67180128-F005-4D44-BAE3-447ADC49B7DB.jpeg

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
What is it about LP's that you dislike? For me it's the ergonomics, or lack of it. Other than that I think they're nice guitars.

full

DrBGood

Reaction score
What is it about LP's that you dislike? For me it's the ergonomics, or lack of it. Other than that I think they're nice guitars.
It depends on which you're looking at.

This one being heavily chambered, is in SG weight category and a belly cut makes it very comfortable to "wear".

Chambered.jpg

Back-.jpg
I understand the BFG came out a few years ago and had a Humbucker in the bridge and a p90 in the neck.... totally missed them when they came out.
View attachment 34077
Nice that they brought it back with two P90. I like the bare bones concept of it. I am NOT a bling lover. I like my guitars simple.

But the Ocean Blue is beautiful.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two. I personally would choose the one with the fattest neck.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score

full

I completely love the telecaster because of the lack of ergonomics, but hated the LP for the same reason. That and a 19lb guitar was never appealing.

This one being heavily chambered, is in SG weight category and a belly cut makes it very comfortable to "wear".

Nice that they brought it back with two P90. I like the bare bones concept of it. I am NOT a bling lover. I like my guitars simple.

But the Ocean Blue is beautiful.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those two. I personally would choose the one with the fattest neck.

I’m just a about ready click the buy button on the BFG, the ocean blue is twice the price.

I stopped being a neck snob in the last couple years, I have so many types of necks I can easily switch.

My thinnest is an 89 Charvel and my thickest is a 2012 Ibanez.

PixMix

Reaction score
I remember finding a BFG in a used section of Guitar Center years ago, just about when they discounted them. It was cheap but I wasn't shopping for a guitar and I had never really thought about buying a BFG. I plugged it just out of curiosity. It was an amazing sounding piece; light, resonant, the P90 in the neck was so good (it had a humbucker on bridge). I should have grabbed that thing, I had the money.

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score

I like bling-free guitars with fat necks as well. My first guitar was a second hand 1969 SG Special with a fat neck. Since then I have been through Explorers, Flying V's, LP Traditional plain top, LP Specials (P-90 and humbucker versions), SG '61 Reissue, SG Standard, SG Junior, several SG Special Faded, Telecaster, Strat, Melody Maker. After experiencing all those guitars, my favorite is the SG Classics and SG Specials with fat necks. I can adapt to most any neck, but if choices are available I tend to gravitate toward the thicker ones.

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
No belly cut, and a chambered body and something called a
  • Fretboard: Torrified Granadillo
No clue what that is.... maybe they meant glorified richlite?

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Angel, I actually got my first SG becuase of a BFG. I was trying to win an Ebay sale for a BFG and hit my limit. Wound up finding my 3 KNOB SG for less $$$ and it had a Gib Brown case too,

Good luck with yours.

DrBGood

Reaction score
It has a chambered body ? No mention of it on the BFG page.

Is the top carved textured, like it was sculpted with a chisel, or is that just the figure in the wood grain ?

LPBG18WECH1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

Gahr

Reaction score
No belly cut, and a chambered body and something called a
  • Fretboard: Torrified Granadillo
No clue what that is.... maybe they meant glorified richlite?
I had a Les Paul Studio with a granadillo fretboard a couple of years back. Felt and looked great.

Chenosaurus

Reaction score
oh man that blue one is a beauty...

i have always had a soft spot for LPs. my only issue was i found them a tad on the heavy side and i like to move alot on stage

Col Mustard

Reaction score
These are all lovely you guys, but this one (to me) is the most appealing Les Paul I've ever seen:
Gibson The Paul 1.jpg Gibson The Paul 2.jpg Gibson The Paul 3.jpg
I've never been a fan of Les Pauls (for me to play)...
even though I love the sound when someone else is playing it.
But this 2019 Gibson "The Paul" re-issue really appeals to me.
490R and 498T pickups, the classic set... Walnut body with clear
gloss finish, Belly cut, beveling on the body like an SG...

What's not to like? Priced by Gibson at about $1400, so less expensive
than a lot of other Lesters that I would never consider. Unless you
prefer a painted one... (I don't). If I owned one of these, I might mod it with black pickup covers and a blued steel pick guard... like a
weapon. *grins

Biddlin

Reaction score
I don't mean to steal any of AngelDeVille's thunder, but the title's implications require some response, so:
After years of complaining about their weight and lack of upper fret access I found some Les Pauls I really liked. All but one are modern weight relieved. That one weighs 5kg with light strings:naughty:. Right now my main gigging guitar is my stock 2014 LP Melody Maker(r):
DSCN1155.JPG DSCN1159.JPG DSCN1191.JPG
It weighs less than my SG Classic and the slug P90s are thick and thuggish. Really comfortable and easy to play all night long.
DSCN1823.JPG DSCN1817.JPG
This one lives in a case next to my computer and only comes out to be played. wiped down and replaced, but I should be gigging it. Weighs about 4.2kg, plays like warm butter.
smlps.jpg
Honorable mention. The '98 Epi Standard was the first Les Paul I didn't "fight" to play. I still like it a lot. The LPJ is a great player, less than 4.5kg and has a vintage sound. Maple neck is super rigid and resonant.
What's not to love?

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
It has a chambered body ? No mention of it on the BFG page.

Is the top carved textured, like it was sculpted with a chisel, or is that just the figure in the wood grain ?

The AMS page lists it as chambered, I wonder if it neck dives?

The top is textured like it came out of the cnc.

These are all lovely you guys, but this one (to me) is the most appealing Les Paul I've ever seen:
View attachment 34102 View attachment 34103 View attachment 34104
I've never been a fan of Les Pauls (for me to play)...
even though I love the sound when someone else is playing it.
But this 2019 Gibson "The Paul" re-issue really appeals to me.
490R and 498T pickups, the classic set... Walnut body with clear
gloss finish, Belly cut, beveling on the body like an SG...

What's not to like? Priced by Gibson at about $1400, so less expensive
than a lot of other Lesters that I would never consider. Unless you
prefer a painted one... (I don't). If I owned one of these, I might mod it with black pickup covers and a blued steel pick guard... like a
weapon. *grins[/QUcbc.
There's a Paul in the Stories "Brother Louie" video.

In the $1400 range I like the SG specials. The bfg is under $900[/QUOTE]

Latest posts