Differences between the SG Classic and the SG Special VOS.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by imc2111, Sep 1, 2013.

1. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Sound advice. You should take it.

Hoping our new 'friend' has a very short lived stay here. :)

Saintjonah and Biddlin like this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Everyone's welcome, but, shoot from the hip and there's liable to be a ricochet.
    Biddlin ;>)/

mikeystool and mdubya like this.
  3. Saintjonah

Saintjonah Well-Known Member

You know, I'm not sure everyone should be welcome...:dunno:

4. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

I wonder who he is at the other forum. I would have give him the benifit of the doubt with his comment as just shop talk and messing about and it just read worse than what it was but I think it was a head up his arse fly off half cocked response somewhat in defence of CS guitars. He may say he is sorry and that will be that we will just have to see. Everybody should be allowed one. After that its on like bing bong.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Of course he gets a pass the first time, and we let him know that he's welcome but that what may pass as acceptable comments on other forums doesn't wash here.

We certainly don't all agree on ETSG, but we agree to disagree and be nice about it. After all we're all musicians!

Biddlin and smitty_p like this.
  6. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Or for $300 you could get this:
    [​IMG]
    Epiphone Limited Edition '61 SG Special... Ok, it isn't a Gibson, but it is a damn fine guitar for the money!:dude:

Biddlin and mdubya like this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

mrrrph... yamama...mmmmph....rrrrrt.... berloo... *sorry, comments unintelligible due to recto-cranial impairment

i suppose i come off as an insufferable know-it-all to some, (to quote professor Snape)
    *laughs ...so maybe i'm fair game when i get something wrong. may my humble opinions remain humble whenever possible.

anyway thanks for standing up for me you guys, and +1 on the Epiphone.
    get yer Epi from Sweetwater and they'll PLEK it for you (which solves a lot of "cheap guitar syndrome" problems IMHO)
    but the Classic is still the one that makes ME sweat. i don't have one like that.

mdubya, Saintjonah, Biddlin and 2 others like this.
  8. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

The custom shop wrap tail looks great but the price differential vs a Classic would kill it for me. I went for a USA '61 Reissue over the CS equivalent for similar reasons and I've not regretted it for a second: great guitars, wonderful neck.

Maybe it's just me but it does seem Gibson mess up SGs far less often than their certain other famous guitar ... ;)

Col Mustard, mdubya and Biddlin like this.
  9. ScottC

ScottC Member

I just got this thing last week and I can't put it down. Light as a feather and plays like butter!

27072715_10214629668916470_1718979948167642862_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    arcticsg, Gahr, rotorhead and 3 others like this.
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! But I think we need more pics and a full report...

Well, what do you expect from over there? And people will naturally be more critical of a $3,000+ item than a $1,500 one. Plus, the more hand work that goes in, the more room for error.

11. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I thought this might be interesting and or link to this thread:

2010, and as some posters noted it seems to be unusual in it's headstock silkscreen of Les Paul Special... &, the pickguard calls it a vintage original spec.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

It's a beautiful guitar, but at US$3500 it's a bit rich for my taste.

Ray, cerebral gasket and Biddlin like this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Thank goodness @Raiyn isn't here to rant on this necro-post, lol. Nice guitar but it'll need a wound G string to intonate. Those old dog bone bridges are like that.

Bettyboo likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

For a Vintage Original Spec model, I would interpret that to mean that it is built to the same specs as the original model. Isn't that what Vintage Original Spec means or am I missing something?

With reissues, that's a different story, they usually have omitted or updated features and are not intended to be exact replicas of the originals.

14. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I've never tried a wound G string, I keep meaning to.

I don't know. There seems to be both a range of original specs (especially during the late 50s/early 60s) depending what was lying around the factory at the time, and a range of interpretation by Gibson as to how close to original their VOS spec means at any given time - both seems to be moving targets.

Your explanation of the VOS being very similar to the original and reissues having some updates makes sense.

Regardless, this guitar seems to be similar to a '60 special, and should use nice woods and parts due to it being a CS guitar (so you're paying for it...). It just seems like a really nice guitar. A working musician might change the tuners and/or nut and/or bridge, so I'm not claiming a perfect 60s recreation is somehow the 'best'. So, perhaps a reissue, depending on what's upgraded, might be the best of all worlds for a player?

15. PermissionToLand

Actually, despite the name, VOS only means it has a light aging process done to it (basically, a light dulling/swirling to the finish and hardware). None of the specs are actually any different. IDK what the hell Gibson was thinking with that term.

16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Except for the “Les Paul” script on the headstock that doesn’t belong there or the incorrect knobs without silver inserts.

17. PermissionToLand

I meant different from a non-VOS Historic Special. The script is not on any other VOS Special I have seen.

The bell knobs are historically incorrect, but Gibson has always put those on the Historic Special for some reason.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  18. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

They are both fantastic guitars. I know the VOS is more to the original design but I've had both of these and to me the Classic plays and sounds just as good. There is a tonal aspect to the wrap around bridge that I like, but I prefer the adjustable bridge on the Classic for the intonation adjustment. I have two Classics in my arsenal and they are great guitars; and great bang for buck to boot. I'm not saying I prefer all Classics to all VOS but given the ability to weed through several guitars the Classics I found are on par with the VOS model tonally. One is very open and chimes, the other is more for sustaining leads.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    cerebral gasket likes this.