Do all SG body types have neck dive?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Kareem Badr, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

I keep reading about the SGs infamous “neck dive”.

My Samick copy doesn’t seem to have that issue. Is it possible that some copies don’t have that problem, or is it more to do with how I position the guitar/strap on my body? I have a leather strap, maybe that’s providing enough resistance? I really don’t feel the headstock pulling towards the ground at all.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Why do you call it a copy ? Isn't it written on the truss rod cover that it's a SG ? If it wasn't legit, Gibson would have sued Epiphone. They sued ethers for much less.

There's a lot of exageration with the neck dive syndrome.

3. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

It does not say SG on the truss rod cover. Truss rod cover is blank. It is a Samick Artist Series, not an Epiphone. I understand that Samick technically manufactures Epiphones (or used to, anyway), but mine is a Samick by name.

Doesn’t Gibson own Epiphone? Why would they sue Epiphone?

I assumed if it isn’t a “Gibson” or “Epiphone”, it is classified as a copy, hence this sub-forum. Is that technically incorrect? What makes something a SG copy?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    papagayo likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Don't feed the troll.

5. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

Wait, who’s being the troll in this situation? I’m confused. If my legitimate question is seen as trolling, I’ll happily **** off from this forum.

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

No.

Anyway, neck dive isn't one 'thing', it ranges from a neck that will plummet towards the ground within a second of taking your hands away, to a neck that will stay in place - but gradually start to drop down as you walk around. I wouldn't call that neck dive - but some people experience this and think, "I guess that's neck dive, why does anyone make a fuss about this?" No surprise people struggle to understand each other on this one - their expereinces can be very different.

As for 'copy' that's a term you can define for yourself. I'd see any guitar that looks like a Gibson SG but isn't a Gibson as being a copy of a Gibson SG - after all Gibson first created the design, anything else is copying that design. But I'd accept that Epiphone are owned by Gibson, and calling their SGs copies could be questioned. :)

This forum has an SG copies section for a reason...

No idea what the troll comment was about, but I don't think you need to **** off in a hurry. ;)

7. cerebral gasket

8. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

I appreciate the thoughtful response.

Some of the other responses were giving me a shame-the-noob (which I am not) energy I have seen in other niche fan groups. Unhelpful assertion of status. Hopefully that’s not a common thing here.

ValResnick and SG standard like this.
  9. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

I will make sure to search more before I post.

On review, none of those threads you linked to actually ask the same question I did. They are all asking for solutions to neck dive. I was asking if different copies are less prone to it, as mine seems to be. Thanks for the links, though. Had I searched and found them, I would have still posted, using what is apparently a sensitive topic for some. Now I know.

Clarence001 likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

The search function on the site does not work very well.
    For better results, use search engine from browser and type in the following:

www.everythingsg.com neck dive

You can substitute "neck dive" with any keyword.

Apologies for the troll comment.
    The "neck dive" discussions just get old after a while.

I've had 18 different SG over the years and have never experienced this phenomenon called "neck dive".

Ricouxx and Kareem Badr like this.
  11. DrBGood

Sorry, I wrongly assumed it was an Epiphone.

Gibson hasn't always owned Epiphone.

It is very possible that your guitar doesn't have neck dive if the body is heavier than a regular SG. So many factors.

Ricouxx likes this.
  12. laza616

laza616 Active Member

I have 4 SGs currently :
    Gibson SG standard 2009: no neck dive at all, perfectly balanced
    Epiphone G400 made in Czech Republic 2000: no neck dive at all, constructed like a tank, balanced flawlessly
    Vintage VS6 made in China 2009/2010 - neck dive is there
    BaCH SG (unknown year) made in China - neck dive is apparent, the headstock is huge, has grover heavy tuners too, so its falling on the head, but while i play i dont mind so i am used to it
    These chinese copies are most likely all lousy made when they are so cheap, so the neck dive is absolutely no surprise
    I had Korean Epiphone SG G400 too and it had a little neck dive but when i took the shirt off, it would stay on the spot not diving. I also had Chinese Epiphine SG G310 - this had no neck dive, maybe because the construction was different as the neck and body were connected with screws and not glued. So maybe the screws and the metal plate under it caused the body was heavier than the neck. But i have held a lot of SGs, copies like SX or so and neck dive was also there almost every time. A friend of mine had SG made in Italy or something from like 70s and it had no neck dive, Eko was the name i think. pretty heavy guitar

Would you mind posting a picture of your Samick SG? We love pictures of SGs here.
    And welcome!

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  13. SMWRG

SMWRG New Member

A leather strap with a sueded back shoukd fix the problem. It works for me. I have an Epiphone 61 SG Custom 2020 amd owned a real 61 Les Paul Custom for 35 years. Both are headstock heavy, but with a sueded keather strap it is very manageable. It isn't that bad as long as you are aware of the tendency. It's a small price to pay for the lightest guitars with the fastest necks. Love SGs!

Kareem Badr likes this.
  14. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

I have two vintage SGs and neither has neck dive. A huge cause is heavy tuners like grovers. And they were designed with tremolo systems back in the day.

15. DrBGood

Nothing to do with added weight of the plate and screws. Simple physics. A bolt on neck is recessed in the boby, making the whole guitar close to 1½" shorter than a set neck. Thus the lever that is the headstock is closer to the center of gravity of the guitar. TADA !

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Do a few curls with a five pound weight if you're not strong enough to balance a couple of ounces. Or take up badminton.

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

But Epiphone never made SGs prior to being owned by Gibson.

Biddlin likes this.
  18. NiteGoat

NiteGoat New Member

No. My 1991 Gibson SG Special weighs about 10 lbs, and therefor has no neck-dive.

19. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

20. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Hello. Good to see you!