Do all SG body types have neck dive?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Kareem Badr, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Southpa

Southpa New Member

I guess the extreme example of an SG with noticeable neck dive would be the unpainted, thin bodied swamp ash or light mahogany, set neck design and heavy tuners. The factory Gibson SG is very thin. Lots of those SG copies and knock-offs might have thicker bodies and covered in some poly paint and /or clear coating. I've stripped as much as 1 lb of finish alone from some factory made Ibanez etc. brands. Lots of SG copies also feature bolt-on necks which add a bit more weight (neck plate and screws) to the body. One poster mentioned that his factory SG weighs 10 lbs, that's HUGE considering SG's in general. Chalk it down to the frequency in wood density within a species, I've seen ash almost as light weight as balsa and as heavy as oak. Mahogany has quite a density range as well. I guess every little bit counts eg. TOM w/ tailpiece vs. wraparound bridge. Or presence of a Bigsby.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Jumpsuit Pete

Jumpsuit Pete New Member

My 1960 Epiphone Wilshire may be the pre-curser of the SG model with its P90s and the lightweight double cutaway mahogany body. It also has the front strap peg on the back of the neck heel, but somebody way back when screwed another one in the end of the "horn". Much improved, but for 30+ years when it had Grovers on it, it was a complete neck-diver. It's improved slightly with Klusons back on it, but I always used the improved strap peg on the top corner. And that's where it appeared later on in the "Batwing headstock" Wilshires.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

4. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

I just got John Birch pickups installed, as well as swapping out the speed knobs for vintage-looking ones, and put a 5-ply pick guard on the body. I had to drill some holes for that, which was slightly unnerving, but ultimately simple. And I think the tuners were replaced by the original owner, since they are chrome and I haven't seen any photos of the Samicks shipping with anything other than the classic snot-green tuners. But I prefer the chrome look, and they stay in tune perfectly, so that's fine by me.

[​IMG]

(1996 Samick, if my interpretation of the serial # is correct)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Nice SG-450! I have one as well, a '97 that I put a Batwing on and installed Brandonwound T-Top replicas:

HPIM4059med.jpg

Right now, it's awaiting a re-fret because I wanted to flatten the radius at the high end of the board.

I think the reason the Samicks don't dive much, and Cerebral Gasket hasn't had any problems with his Specials, is because these are all SGs with the 19th fret neck joint. My '61 Reissue, even with light Wilkinson tuners, does dive a bit. You have to think of the physics at play; the closer the button gets to the center of the guitar, the more it becomes a pivot point and wants to do the ZZ-Top trick on you. And when you're already that close to the center of the guitar (the whole guitar, not the body alone), even small changes can make a noticeable difference.

6. Kareem Badr

Kareem Badr New Member

That looks great!

And reminds me of the “modification” I made when I first got the guitar 17 or 18 years ago. I pulled off the glued-on Rhythm/Treble ring around the pickup selector. I have *never* understood why Gibson insists on sullying the look of beautiful guitars with a piece of plastic that’s labeled inconsistently (Rhythm/Lead, or Bass/Treble, no?) and oriented to be read from the audience. Baffling.

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Well, since one hopes they didn't consider guitar players so stupid they wouldn't remember what's what on a three way switch one can only surmise they figured the audience would be interested in keeping updated on what pickup's being used.... but then again...

8. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Thank you. I look in now and then and feel that a pertinent comment is appropriate sometimes.

And quite often with another strap button in the body by the heel (possibly to add some strength to the neck joint). I've spotted this on quite a few batwing models, both guitars and basses.

9. Gbux

Gbux New Member

I’ve got a Epiphone Crestwood Deluxe & I use the strap pin on the neck heel myself, it does dive a bit, but if I stand a certain way, it’s not so bad!!!