Do Grovers look "right" on an SG?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
page after page of tuner buttons...WHEW! *grins

Here's the truth folks: If you want the best tuning keys, get a set of Waverly tuners.
Waverlys have always been the best. They aren't cheap, but they aren't heavy either.
Perfect for your prized SG, using a bushing.

My Gibson J-45 AG came stock with mini-Grover rotomatic tuners. They worked fine but
I took them off in favor of these beauties. I wanted black buttons. You can get black buttons
for a set of regurlar Rotomatics, but the Waverly tuners were available with Ebony.
I had to pop for the set, because I love this Gibson guitar. For me it was like buying a
lovely dress for a beautiful woman...gilding the lily/
headstock@100.jpg
Waverly Tuners@100.jpg
Another truth: nobody looks at the tuners, except maybe the owner of the guitar.
So whether Rotomatics "look right" on an SG is entirely aesthetic on the part of the OP.
Lots of fine gears recommended here...
you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
Any and all of them will keep your guitar in tune.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
page after page of tuner buttons...WHEW! *grins

Here's the truth folks: If you want the best tuning keys, get a set of Waverly tuners.
Waverlys have always been the best. They aren't cheap, but they aren't heavy either.
Perfect for your prized SG, using a bushing.

My Gibson J-45 AG came stock with mini-Grover rotomatic tuners. They worked fine but
I took them off in favor of these beauties. I wanted black buttons. You can get black buttons
for a set of regurlar Rotomatics, but the Waverly tuners were available with Ebony.
I had to pop for the set, because I love this Gibson guitar. For me it was like buying a
lovely dress for a beautiful woman...gilding the lily/
View attachment 47792
View attachment 47793
Another truth: nobody looks at the tuners, except maybe the owner of the guitar.
So whether Rotomatics "look right" on an SG is entirely aesthetic on the part of the OP.
Lots of fine gears recommended here...
you pays yer money and you takes yer choice.
Any and all of them will keep your guitar in tune.

COL,

I would say those look like fine tuners and classy black buttons. Your J45 seems to have had 1 hole OEM mini Grovers as you said. I looks like wood fillers were expertly done in those 1 hole spots?

I like to maintain original holes when choosing replacement tuners. Having said this, I have only replaced 2 sets of tuners since my first conversion from OEM Gib Kluson ones on my first 79 LP when I was 20 ish, vs my SG's that needed them. When I bought my 08 Classic, it had the snot green Klusons. My 89 SG Special 3 knob, had the green ones too, but age had gotten them worn inside and loose for poor tuning stability. So, I bought a set of White button Klusons to put on the Classic, and swapped the reliable Keystone Snot green ones onto the 89 SG as a like kind OEM repair.

Last edited:

pancake81

Reaction score
I am really not a hear head (pun intended). And I have a few pairs of Grover’s, 1 set of Schaller’s and one set of klusson green keys. They all work great to me, I never notice the difference. The Schaller’s seem the most sensitive and stiff if I had to point something out.

Last edited:

TDA1966

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Gotoh. SG301's on the SG and SG381's on the Washburn USA
IMG-20220410-230613911-2-2.jpg

IMG-20220410-173404828-2.jpg

IMG-20220408-182340424.jpg

IMG-20220402-204046622.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts