Do Grovers look "right" on an SG?

Gibbo SG

Reaction score
The first Gibson SG with Grover threaded headsets was their Les Paul/SG Custom in 1960. You will see this guitar equipped thus, looking at the period company literature for that model.

MR D

Reaction score
I may hav said this b4 but I am bored and have nothing to do ...........so I will say it again:
IF IF IF you want to change your Tuning Machines on your GIBSON SG, GO AHEAD, PROCEED WITH CAUTION (Don't strip the screw holes !) AND ...........just get a set of........WAIT FOR IT........

TADA.....

KLUSON 'REVOLUTIONS' tuning machines.......

You will be glad you got these li'l BAD-A$$'s....best $115 you'll ever spend !

available everywhere but especially at ATLANTIC CUSTOM GUITARS !

Guithartic

Reaction score
The SG Standard comes stock with metal Grover kidney bean tuners since 2019.

smitty_p

Reaction score
I may hav said this b4 but I am bored and have nothing to do ...........so I will say it again:
IF IF IF you want to change your Tuning Machines on your GIBSON SG, GO AHEAD, PROCEED WITH CAUTION (Don't strip the screw holes !) AND ...........just get a set of........WAIT FOR IT........

TADA.....

KLUSON 'REVOLUTIONS' tuning machines.......

You will be glad you got these li'l BAD-A$$'s....best $115 you'll ever spend !

available everywhere but especially at ATLANTIC CUSTOM GUITARS !

Well, if you get to say it again, I get to agree with you again...

Plus one on the Revolutions.

Carrion

Reaction score
they do with new "buttons" :) I felt the "kidneys buttons looked wrong but love the Grover factory locks. So I flipped the buttons to Tulips button4.jpg button5.jpg for $11

dub-setter

Reaction score
i think i got mine from a guitar shop here in germany online.
but they re easy to find in the bay as well...

Reaction score
If OP is referring to Grover Rotomatics, I don't think they look good on SG's. They're also ridiculously heavy. With that said, I've never had any issues with neck dive, regardless of what tuners are on an SG and personally think that issue is vastly hyped and exaggerated on the internet, and think it's jsut a way for someone to justify to themselves the "need" (more like want) to replace something on their guitars. But from an aesthetics point of view I can't stand the look of Rotomatics! Also never had the need for locking tuners which also seem to add unnecessary weight.

Green tulip/keystone tuner buttons just look right on an SG. I've even owned a few SG Classics that have white button tuners and would take those over a set of Rotomatics any day. Only guitar I tolerated Rotomatics on was a Martin D-35, but that was because that model has always used Rotomatics on it fro day one since it was introduced.

Last edited:

Bobbie99

Reaction score
I have 12 mini Grovers on my SG-12 and they look great. I have Gold Keystone Grovers on my Les Paul and they also look great. Never liked the cheap looking plastic tulip tuners.

MR D

Reaction score
nice !! i wish i could find chrome tulips
BRO, U Can get them from ATLANTIC CUSTOM GUITARS dot com (or call them in Raleigh, North Carolina )....I got two sets of them when I bought the KLUSON REVOLUTIONS.they look BAD-A$$...your right about the Kidneys...almost hideous, they are !.. I had to swap out the plastic-oid buttons that were on the 'REVOLUTIONS' for the chrome....weren't expensive either, IIRC, $7 per chrome button ! Tjere is a whole menu of Tuning Machines and spare parts of TM's on the ACG website.
The Chome Tulip buttons I got were for KLUSON REVOLUTION Tuning Machines and IDK if it makes a difference which brand Tuning Machines you bought, u kno? The thread would just have to match I'd imagine..... or worse comes to worse just ask James at ACG and he can hook you up with the exact part you need for your new Tuning Machines......

papagayo

Reaction score
Best tuners for an SG, KLUSON Revolution.

SG Standard TBK 53.jpg

Best looking tuners, SCHALLER G Double Ring.

Gibson SG '61 Proprietary 57.JPG

MR D

Reaction score
Best tuners for an SG, KLUSON Revolution.

View attachment 49646

Best looking tuners, SCHALLER G Double Ring.

View attachment 49647
Yep, that's the BAD-A$$'s right there.....I spent the extra $$$ and got the CHROME Tulip's and they are BADA$$-ERY ! I cant post pics as usual with this web site (or my computer !) for whatever reason ('Files too big' etc ).... it was less than $125 for the set of 6 with the buttons switched to the CHROME TULIP buttons ! U kno, the Kidneys weren't so bad, not at all, but the TULIP's in CHROME are soooo much COOLER looking too !!! They are very slightly lighter as well....this is according to my digital postal scale.

My 2017 SG Standard came with Locking Grover TM's, STOCK ! AND that is one reason why, IMO, the 2017 and 2018 SG Standards were the best SG Standards to come along in quite awhile..I'm sorry I did not buy three of them....AND compared to the 2020 version, same SG Standard....pppffff the 2017 blows the 2020 away.......this due to price and stock equipment...MY '17 SG STANDARD HAD/HAS '57 CLASSICS, LOCKING GROVER TM'S (Kidneys), HARD SHELL CASE AND ROLLED BINDING and , new, it was $1299 ALL-IN !

Last edited:

lawrev

Reaction score
I just purchased a brand new Custom Shop Les Paul/SG Standard 1961 Reissue through CME and that came with aged Grover tuners. I love that look - I purposely avoided Klusons etc. And no issue with neck dive. I have to do a NGD post, I know!

Latest posts