Do the "Jimmy Page Les Paul Replica" enthusiasts know this?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SG Champagne, Oct 8, 2016.

1. SG Champagne

SG Champagne Active Member

From 1972 until well after the band disbanded, Mr. Page's Number One Les Paul had a T-Top Humbucker in the bridge position. The original neck PAF was in place, but, the bridge PAF became non-functional and was replaced with a T-Top.

SO, if one is searching for the "true" Page "tone" you'd need to put a T-Top in the bridge.

I wonder whether this is widely known or not?

Robert Herndon likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

I'd say that argues for the PAF being the correct pickup.

SG Champagne and Robert Herndon like this.
  3. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

Many people mistakenly think T-tops/PAF's are "hot" pickups. Most of the aforementioned pickups are 7.7/7.8k - same as the ones in my '68 Gibson SG and same as the 490R/T in my 2016 Gibson"T" Series SG.

Now, are we going to discuss Page's wiring mods????

dbb and SG Champagne like this.
  4. SG Champagne

"I'd say that argues for the PAF being the correct pickup."

That's correct, for all of Number One's recordings up to 1972. After 1972, a PAF replica is not the correct pup. A T-Top is correct.

All of the albums up to and including Led Zep IV used the 1959 PAF. The studio albums after that used the T-Top.

The Song Remains the Same concerts were in 1973, so, Number One had the T Top in the bridge position.

I doubt that most could tell the difference by using their ears. It's just an interesting topic to ponder.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Relic61 and Robert Herndon like this.
  5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Cool info!

6. SG Champagne

I would be very interested in you broaching that topic. I own a single LP which is a 1961 re issue so it is really an SG. And yet, I find these topics very interesting.

7. Robert Herndon

[​IMG] Bad file...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  8. Robert Herndon

Better imagery....

Jimmy-Page-Wiring-Diagram-from-Original-Gibson-USA-Schematic.jpeg

syscokid and SG Champagne like this.
  9. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

So, underpinning this thread is a consensus that there is a distinct PAF sound? Many argue that the inconsistency of production meant that there was no one PAF sound. I have no opinion on this historical argument, just pointing out its relevance to this topic.

Col Mustard, Relic61, ivan H and 2 others like this.
  10. SG Champagne

No, I'm not looking for any consensus because I'm not sure that's possible when it comes to something as subjective as what our ears hear. I love history of all kinds, so, I've always wished that we could be sure about historic things such as, exactly how a Roman shield was made or exactly what colors were the helmets on Alexander the Great's army. So I do wish that we could re-issue Jimmy Page's Number One and say, "we have replicated a correct copy of this historic guitar . . . correct in every detail." But, Mr. Page changed things on his Number One so frequently that I wonder whether it is possible to replicate it in every detail.

The push-pull wirings posted by Mr. Herndon illustrate a MAJOR modification of Number One. I'm not sure that the historical record can tell us exactly when that happened.

11. Robert Herndon

Gibson started machine winding pickups in 1966, so there would be more consistency in pickups produced after that....

Col Mustard, SG Champagne and RVA like this.
  12. SG Champagne

The proof that your argument is correct is the fact that Gibson offers PAF-Buckers numbers 1, 2 and 3 to cover the range of under to over wound original PAFs because of the inconsistency of the originals that you mention.

RVA and Robert Herndon like this.
  13. Robert Herndon

Oddly, I have played many vintage Gibson's from the hand wound era and while some did have a certain sweetness, I didn't notice huge differences in the tone...

SG Champagne, Col Mustard and RVA like this.
  14. Robert Herndon

Now, did you know that Page obtained his "Number One" from Joe Walsh in 1969 for $1,200.00???

Perhaps Walsh has something to do with the electronics???

SG Champagne likes this.
  15. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Did you know the neck had been scalloped buy a luthier to slim it down from its original
    B B bat fat neck . And that there are also two toggle switches under the pick guard that
    Jimmy never has explained nor are they included in that wiring sceme.

SG Champagne and RVA like this.
  16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

And I have also heard that the Locking tuners where Sperzels and not grovers.

SG Champagne likes this.
  17. Robert Herndon

I'd wager 5 quid that Mr. Page is likely to see this post, while enjoying his afternoon tea and lady biscuits, and have a good laugh at us all...

deMelo, Col Mustard, syscokid and 2 others like this.
  18. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Not me he never laughs at me he knows how serious I am and where I'm from and what a loyal fan I have been.
    Texas LOL okay maybe behind my back.

RVA and Robert Herndon like this.
  19. SG Champagne

Yes, that's a great story. Joe Walsh had two LPs from that year and kept the best one. The other one he gave to Page. Joe Walsh says that he wanted to recover his expenses for traveling to present the guitar. I don't think he charged much of anything for the guitar. The guitar he gave to Page was not purely stock but I can't recall the mods that he made. That info is on the internet.

20. SG Champagne

He would find the conversation quite enlightening. Remember my references to the shields of the Roman Army and the helmets of the army of Alexander the Great. The war shield and the war helmet were everyday common tools for those ancient warriors who used them. Do you suppose that the average Roman soldier knew exactly how his State-issue shield was made and what is it made from? Probably not. He had no interest in the shield other than its efficacy serving him as a SHIELD. Same thing with the helmets. It was just a tool for the soldier in Alexander's army.

Now then, what do ancient war shields and war helmets have to do with a 1959 Gibson guitar? They are all tools. All three were not regarded as priceless treasures by the soldiers and the guitar players who owned these items -- these tools were just tools. Jimmy Page selected a good fitting instrument for his needs just as an ancient Roman might go through different swords to select the one that feels best in his hand. Neither Mr. Page, Mr. Walsh, nor the ancient warriors ever thought that these TOOLS of theirs would become priceless and rare artifacts that future students would seek to learn about the tool down to practically its last molecule.

So, yes, I hope that Mr. Page does have time to read these comments. He would surely have a chuckle and agree. AND, I am quite sure that the owners of these tools would have paid more attention to their tools had they known that future students would be so very interested in these items.

:rofl: