Do the "Jimmy Page Les Paul Replica" enthusiasts know this?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SG Champagne, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I vote to move this thread to "that other forum".

Raiyn and RVA like this.
  2. SG Champagne

SG Champagne Active Member

IMHO, this thread doesn't belong in any Les Paul forum. LP players and fans have many thousands of dollars and much emotion invested in their own personal replica of a priceless piece of history that started out as a tool used by a man at his job. Some of them may not appreciate our observations.

Col Mustard and frankd like this.
  3. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Well said. Isn't it strange the way we humans can distort such as simple idea?

4. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Priceless piece of history....

You know what?
    I'm not gonna even get started,
    because if I do, it will be just like last time.

5. SG Champagne

OK, you are free to disagree. I simply predict that Rock History will deem that Number One to be a priceless piece of history.

6. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

NonononoNO.
    We will NOT let this particular Genie out of the bottle again.
    Not after last time.
    (...or did I do that on "the other forum"?)

:hmm:

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

We're not "LP Guys" nor given to corksniffery, however when you combine an LP with debate over Jimmy Page style wiring it can get ugly. I've seen it happen.

Col Mustard likes this.
  8. SG Champagne

This is the Gibson SG board. We can have our own private conversations here about Gibson's other products. Besides, I am a Les Paul owner. It just so happens that my 1961 re issue looks like an SG but the label on is says Les Paul.

I would very much appreciate it if someone can tell me why some guitar owners will take a perfectly new and good Gibson and change out the wiring harness and pots. I just recently learned about this. Can someone tell me whether the human ear can hear the difference?

9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

No, the ear is incapable of differentiating between the sound of a guitar and that of a dead horse being flogged.

On the other hand, the brain can hear a difference whenever it thinks it can. That's 'sort of' how it works in creating what we roughly call reality.

Now, is it really possible to have a private conversation on a public forum?

10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

No, this is everythingsg.com, we have no affiliation with Gibson. Gibson hosts their own discussion board. People are free to mod their guitars as they see fit, but arguing about how such 'n' such player modded their axe 50 years ago is usually pointless. I say that because without the exact parts and the exact electical values of said parts it'll never be more than a somewhat reasonable facsimile.

Col Mustard likes this.
  11. SG Champagne

First, I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm trying to learn. I do not understand your hostility. It is illogical.

12. SG Champagne

I detect an air of hostility in your tone. This is illogical. If you are distressed by any thread, you should refrain from participation.

Robert Herndon likes this.
  13. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Theres no I in we . I would disagree and be willing to bet atleast 51% of the board members here own
    one or more Gibby or epi Lp or LP stlye guitar so I'm quite sure your statement is incorrect.
    there or more Gibson Sg and Lp and Es owners on here than ya might think. I have one Gibson LP two epi LP's
    and one Gibson Sg .

SG Champagne likes this.
  14. SG Champagne

What did I post that was incorrect?

15. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Easy guys....

16. SG Champagne

Based on what I have read on the internet, Gibson seems sincerely interested in re-creating these historic and important Les Pauls from 1959 and other years. I applaud this effort and approve of it completely. I am a history fan, so, I'd love to own that kind of wonderful piece of history. I would be disappointed if I had to replace the wiring harness or anything else because Gibson didn't get it quite right, of course. So, IMHO, Gibson should keep improving these replicas as best as possible. People are willing to pay for these beautiful wonderful instruments and Gibson should not skimp like Norlin Gibson did when they would not let Tim Shaw use enamel pup wire instead of poly.

Whether people can hear differences with their own ears doesn't matter at all. People want a replica of these historic instruments and it is wonderful that Gibson endeavors to create these replicas and sell them to the general public. And, of course, any guitar player, me included would love to own one.

I don't see how my opinion here is controversial in any way.

deMelo and Robert Herndon like this.
  17. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I personally own both old guitars and new guitars.
    The old guitars are no better than the new guitars.
    They are just older.

If someone is willing to spend a lot of money on an R8 or a JP # 1 replica
    I have no problem with that. If they want to put it on display in a glass case
    and never touch it, I feel they are wasting money. Instruments should be played.

To each his own.

SG Champagne likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:facepalm:
    We're not "LP guys". Note the quotation marks, it's not the first time I've used that phrase either. It means we're not the stereotypical cork sniffing Les Paul owners you'd find on "that other forum". You can own a LP and not be an " LP guy".

19. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

Just buy a nice 21 tone Jimmy Page Wire Harness from JerseyShoreGuitarGarage.com...

Well guys, I personally have no interest in replicas or signature series models. I've never owned an Epiphone and this 2016 Gibson SG is my third Gibson in my lifetime. I have owned Fender and Schecter longer than my two vintage Gibsons, which financial/divorce issues forced the sale of in 1997/98.

I have to say my 2016 Gibson SG has none of the nasty tuning issues that seemed to plague my vintage Gibsons. I'm beyond pleased.

While not really a "retro" guitar fan, I am, however, quite interested in history in general, or how certain sounds were recorded, although it doesn't make me want to rush out and buy that equipment.

I also really enjoy you guys and learning/sharing about music history.

Peace and prosperity be upon you all....

Raiyn, SG Champagne and syscokid like this.
  20. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The 'detection' of 'hostility' is in your head, not my post. That is logical.

Why do you think I'm experiencing 'distress'? I don't feel I am, (I'm not even 'mildly annoyed' so far). But please don't presume to tell me whether or not I should be participating in a thread on a public forum. Note that I didn't tell you not to flog a dead horse on this forum... But if you're going to do so, expect others to comment on your posts. Furthermore, if you were to cause me distress here, I guarantee I'd be participating PDQ. That's just how forums work. No offence (or hostility) intended.

Raiyn likes this.