Do the "Jimmy Page Les Paul Replica" enthusiasts know this?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by SG Champagne, Oct 8, 2016.

1. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

My ears can...

Usually my guitar sounds can be described as: twidily-twidily-twidily-plink-clam-plink! And when I flog that dead horse, it's like: whack-whack-snap!!!

...:iough:

ninjaking67 and JohnnyGoo like this.
  2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

back in the schoolyard................

3. SG Champagne

SG Champagne Active Member

I agree. The wonderful replicas must definitely be played. Absolutely must be played, even if it is the buyer's first guitar.

4. SG Champagne

I'm a newcomer to these issues. It may be beating a dead horse to you, but not to me.

5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That was not the intention. At the onset of this thread I was immediately interested because of new-to-me info and history. But, as this thread evolved, I can't help but feel some growing tension as I continue to try to understand the underlying debating going on. Just trying to lighten the situation up a bit... :cheers:

6. SG Champagne

I now realize that my thread title is improperly worded to express myself. I apologize for that. I should have entitled it "I'm quite new to the issue, but, I'd like to discuss the historical development of one of Rock Music's most important artifacts: Mr. Page's Number One.

7. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Yeah, internet forums......
    Ya never know what might set someone off. Not that is really matters. No matter how carefully you word it someone is bound to find a way to be offended, or even do so just to Troll.

Slight misunderstanding gets blown out of proportion over some minutia or whatever. Tensions rise with the post count.

Or, one moment you state your opinion or comment in a reasonable and polite way, next moment someone tells you "Shut the f#% up, what is your problem?!", or TELLS you something about a subjective topic their view is the definitive "right way" / vs. your "wrong way".

Among folks you hear from on a normal basis, it just comes from left field or whatever.

Funny how some folks think their opinion matters more than anyone elses in an open discussion forum format.
    Thats when I just walk away and remind myself this is interesting, informative, and entertaining, but often also a waste of time.

But most times this forum is very friendly and informative.

8. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

This is the only one of these forums I log onto because the posters know a lot and the members self police those who are challenged behaviorally.

9. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

So...I lost track...

Which replicas are we talking about...Les Paul replicas or Jimmy Page replicas?

I know...I know...I should keep up better....

My bad.

10. SG Champagne

Gibson doesn't do this, but, I think they should. They should offer the stock replica. They should then select some mods that were made and make those mods options for the customer. Here are the mods: 1) neck shave mod that Joe Walsh had done before he sold it to JP; 2) the "push pull button mod" that JP had done; the Grover tuner mod that JP had done; and I can't remember but I think JP did one or two other mods but nothing major.

11. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Problem for me is...no matter what mods I do to my Les Paul I am not going to ever sound like Jimmy Page :rolleyes:

Karathas and SG Champagne like this.
  12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Personally, I detected no hostility. Let's keep it that way. On this forum, we take pride in
    being polite and respectful of each other, and that mostly works. Let's keep that up as well.
    If you read back over the posts in question, I don't see any reason to get mad. Don't get mad.
    We all will read these things and make up our own minds anyway. Let's keep the conversation going
    with the assumption that we all can make valid points, and the reader can gain something from
    all the diversity. I certainly have.

I don't think anyone's become hostile on this thread. We are all expressing opinions, and the OP's
    desire to hear from others on this forum is to be commended. IMHO this is a great thread, and we
    have a common pool of knowledge that gets enriched by all of the experience and opinionated jargon
    of all of our contributors. I want to hear more.

One of the OP's many excellent questions had to do with whether there is any sense in yanking the parts out of a
    perfectly good new Gibson, to be replaced by whatever is the flavor of the week. Or by some kind of
    "Jimmy Page kit" ...trying to reproduce what Page played, way back when Nixon was President.
    This is one of those dead horses that we keep flogging, on this thread and on most others.
    No one seems to get tired of it. Not even me, and I should because I never cared for Led Zep's music
    back then or now or ever. What Jimmy Page did with a Telecaster and a violin bow are mildly interesting
    to me, but only mildly. I was into early Fleetwood Mac then, and the Stones, and Janis Joplin and Bonnie Raitt
    and Rod Stewart and Jimmy Cliff, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, J. Geils and Steely Dan, Laura Nyro, Dr. John... Lots of great music was around at the same time as Led Zep, and they never seemed to
    measure up, IMHO. *shrugs ...Allman Bros. Chambers Bros... Double Bros...
    Bob Marley, early ZZ Top, Eagles, Steve Miller.... on and on.

I'd be more interested in what Mark Knophler did with his Les Paul, to get
    the sounds he did, and with bare fingers only. And I recently posted a poll, to see what percent of our members
    supported modding a high quality Gibson guitar, and why...
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/to-mod-or-not-to-mod-that-is-the-question.31164/

The poll ended with about 80% saying, It's your guitar, do as thou wilt...
    And there was a good amount of interesting commentary and no hostility. So it's still and interesting question.

I personally don't think there's any way to duplicate what was recorded forty five years ago because so
    much has changed, including the insulation used on the winding wire in the pickups themselves, and including
    the material that guitar picks are made of, and the strings we use and the amps we play through and the
    mixing boards we send the signal to, and the digital signal as opposed to the analog magnetic tape signal
    and all of that.

And I also believe that Jimmy Page will sound like himself on any guitar he picks up, just as Eric Clapton does
    and many other guitar heroes. Give him a Strat or a Tele or a Lester or an Ibanez shredder and he'll sound like
    himself. Give him an SG, I'd be interested in his sound more.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I believe that this is what the custom shop is for. They'll make anything for you if you've got the Dough Ray Meee...

14. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

LOL I am so bad............... I just got a shid eatin grin.
    F the LP setup info, I wanna know what was up with that Telecaster he used.

JohnnyGoo and frankd like this.
  15. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

You jumped the gun bro and shot a civilian in gun battles that's a automatic DQ LOL
    My reply was to Raiyn if you look above my post you will see I quoted Raiyn and was responding to that not anything
    you said . Its all good its just the normal noises . In here.

SG Champagne likes this.
  16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

The Dragon Tele that's the Dragon Tele and must be addressed as so because he had a few others he used later
    he just said they didn't have the DRagon Tele mojo the dragon tele was taken apart by a friend and re painted
    which gave Jimmy a near nervous breakdown as he had painted the Dragon Tele himself he then beat the guy
    senseless with it and the Tele and the guy was never ever seen again! :redface::mad:

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  17. chilipeppermaniac

LOL I read this thread backwards, not up to post 48 yet. I missed some fisticuffs?

Pages 1, 2?

NM, I am sure there was not hostility. Glad we don't need to NYC gun permit in here.

Oh Dragon Tele Beat downs,,,,,,,,,,, now it's gittin good in here

18. chilipeppermaniac

BTW what exactly are the R number guitars?

Do they play themselves or sumn?

19. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

in early Yardbirds videos hes playing the Dragon Tele.love that thing

20. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well he never says it out loud he just gets the crazy Irish look when he starts talking about it what happened are lack of
    first you can tell it pains him he doesn't want to discuss it he only says it was destroyed when the guy took it apart repainted it
    and put it back together . I'm thinking it was destroyed when he went into a fit and beat the crap out the guy with it ala Keith Richards style.