Does the bridge need to be notched??

Walrusgumboot

Reaction score
Okay so as I mentioned yesterday I've got a 64 Junior that I'm needing to update some parts on... Looking around at nickel wraparounds and the guy at Mojoaxe says the zig zags do not need to be notched?? Huh?? Surely he knows what he's doing but then why do I see bridges for sale all over the place that are pre notched? Thanks in advance again.

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Honestly, the notches probably are totally unnecessary. The only purpose they serve is to keep the string from sliding around, and as close as the saddle is to the anchor that string ain't going anywhere. Most of the ones I have seen are notched, and honestly if I was replacing one I would probably have cut the notches like the one I was taking off just out of reflex and habit. Obviously the notches don't really hurt anything either, but after thinking it through I am prepared to call them optional. :hmm:

Last edited:

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
On a wraparound bridge they are unnecessary. The string gets all the location it needs from it anchorage point and the fact that it is touching metal all the way to the "saddle". A stopbar is a different thing. Heavy picking is very likely to shift the string sideways. This will do two things - make picking harder because the string isn't in the right place, and put the string out of tune because it is now under a little more tension. And also while the string is moving across, it is quite likely to "ping" on any unevenness. So for a stopbar setup, I'm going to say go ahead and notch the bridge. You have nothing to lose.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
No.
All the lightning bar wraparounds that I’ve ever had do not have notches.

If you’re seeing notches, then the string probably created the notch over time.

Aluminum Wraparound Bridge is softer metal than steel strings.

Colnago

Reaction score
I’ve never seen notches in a wraparound tailpiece/bridge. I have 8 guitars with this setup, 3 with the lightning bar and 5 with plain tailpieces, none with notches.
No notches needed.

Latest posts