Don't Worry - Gibson is still on their game

AC 30

Reaction score
I just received my SG Standard and it is without a flaw anywhere.
2021 - SG's are still the deal.
Binding, string alignment, fret dressing, finish,...just drop dead gorgeous!
It plays fantastic right out of the box. And the beautiful straight grain is just
the icing on the cake. Yeah it won't look like this for long but it sure is nice to see that Gibson's work force
(at least those working on the SG's) are taking their job serious and putting out a product anyone would be proud to own and play.
Here's is an unforgiving shot on the bench with spots lights shining directly on it.
172112959.jpg

Yeah I'm not short of over the top happy with this purchase.
Don't over look a "new" SG purchase. I almost did.

AC 30

Reaction score
Oh the neck is certainly not a 61' neck - so if you like SG Juniors and/or a little beefier neck ... you will love the Standard.
But having said that it isn't over the top and I think many will love the fact you have a choice with SG's.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
Love mine!

I believe they’re trying to do better in QA issues.
Love the neck.
Love the sound.
No cosmetic oops details.

So I bought a B-stock LP to go with (from 2019).
Also perfect:

B63E5D99-652C-401B-B530-9C8A6595F2F0.jpeg

papagayo

Reaction score
Beautiful SG Standard, congratulations :cheers:

My Ivory SG Standard has a medium C neck profile too.

Gibson SG White 150 1.JPG

I play the guitar but I prefer slim taper, may be I will sale it. The only brake is the look/finish/ebony fretboard, awesome.

MR D

Reaction score
I just received my SG Standard and it is without a flaw anywhere.
2021 - SG's are still the deal.
Binding, string alignment, fret dressing, finish,...just drop dead gorgeous!
It plays fantastic right out of the box. And the beautiful straight grain is just
the icing on the cake. Yeah it won't look like this for long but it sure is nice to see that Gibson's work force
(at least those working on the SG's) are taking their job serious and putting out a product anyone would be proud to own and play.
Here's is an unforgiving shot on the bench with spots lights shining directly on it.
172112959.jpg

Yeah I'm not short of over the top happy with this purchase.
Don't over look a "new" SG purchase. I almost did.

CONGRATS, you got a SHARP AXE there ! I’m sure you know: a GIBSON SG STANDARD, from any year, is an AWESOME Guitar. all they ever need is a lil fretboard attention, a new set of strings and a good set-up!
An SG Standard purchased new, and looked after properly will provide a player with a life-time of playing enjoyment ! Sounding Awesome all the while!
$$$$ well spent !

MR D

Reaction score
That’s a beauty!
Here’s my COVID19 “Stimulus Guitar”.
6lbs of awesomeness

View attachment 46264

D.D., your GIFT from your country ? Your tax Dollars coming back to you ? All In the form of an SG Standard ‘61….. OUT FRIKKIN STANDING !!! NICE ONE !!! Of course, I have to go to another machine to post my ‘STIMMY’ 2020 SG Stamdard, Modern series! AKA: the “STIMMIE” Modern, li’l BEASTIE !!!

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
D.D., your GIFT from your country ? Your tax Dollars coming back to you ? All In the form of an SG Standard ‘61….. OUT FRIKKIN STANDING !!! NICE ONE !!! Of course, I have to go to another machine to post my ‘STIMMY’ 2020 SG Stamdard, Modern series! AKA: the “STIMMIE” Modern, li’l BEASTIE !!!

Mine is a “Modern” too (batwing).
I knew Gibson was just getting back on their feet when the pandemic hit. So why not support them and get a new guitar?

Last edited:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Lucky me, I have three Gibsons...
Two SG specials and a J-45 AG.
three Gibsons@100.JPG
Left to right, an '07 SG faded special, a 2018 J-45 AG and a 2012 SG special '70s tribute. In 2018-19 I sold all my 'vintage" and most valuable instruments for medical reasons, but these I could not bear to part with. The J-45 was my consolation prize.

Mine have had no quality problems, just excellence of design, building and tone.
Lucky me I say. I read all the crybaby posts where people find fault with their new guitars and bash Gibson up and down the street, and I just feel sorry for the poor sods. Seems like those of us who are happy with our Gibsons don't often come aboard here to say so.

I've been a Gibson fan since like 1964 when I learned on my dad's old ES-125
which he probably bought in a pawn shop in the fifties for $20 or so. By that time, it was hopelessly obsolete by Les Paul standards, but still an excellent instrument.
First Band@100.jpg
we were probably playing "Mustang Sally" or "Let me see you shake yer Tail Feather" or something of that ilk. "In the Midnight Hour...."
So I'm a fan, not a Gibson basher. I do believe they should be held to their own high standards, so that if they screw up something, they should make it right.
But I've had very few problems with my Gibsons, and all were easy to fix.
Gibson guitars deliver awesome tone. Anyone who doesn't agree needs to learn how to EQ their instrument.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
My first guitar teacher had an L-7, and sniffed at Fenders.
I grew up on a ‘61 J-45 that the bridge looked like it was lifting on (for the 20 years I owned it).

Had many guitars over the years. Seen many flaws and fixes.

Still like Gibsons best.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I don't see how anybody can dis Fender guitars and have any credibility.
Fender guitars also deliver awesome tone. And they are all built like ye proverbial Sherman Tank. Google "Keith Richards decks a crazed fan with a Telecaster" if you don't believe me. He got right back into the song afterwards,
and was probably almost still in tune. A fine testimonial.
Tele 72_5x6@100.jpg
Me, I'm a "gimme both" kind of guy. Any time there's a cosmic choice to be made... Cherry pie or Apple... Gibson or Fender... Ginger or Mary Ann... a shot or a beer... Chevy or Ford... Karen or her sister Sharon... Rhythm or Treble... my answer is usually "Gimme Both..."

I had both a Jazz bass and a Precision bass for the same reasons...
I play guitar and bass for the same reasons...
But when the doo-doo hit the foo-foo, I sold off half my collection of
guitars. The black Tele above is the only Fender I kept. But I kept
three Gibsons.

By your choice shall ye be known...
IMG_1108@100.jpg

Les537

Reaction score
Of the 4 gibsons I own the worst quality was the 2018 bankruptcy year SG special (worst quality, but best playing of the bunch). Endless flaws including a headstock logo 1/4 off center and 2 dead on arrival tuners.

The best quality gibson is my 2019 SG '61 stop bar and I bought that one as a 'second' and even 'demo' because of a very tiny halo in the paint around the rear strap button. I saved a couple hundred bucks. This guitar was flawless other than the halo which I covered with a felt thing behind the strap button. I dropped a wrench on it shortly after and put a big ding on it, but that's rock and roll!

My best sounding gibson is my '97 LP special with p100 swapped for p90 because of course and old school direct screw to wood abr with wire. This guitar is on a completely different level with harmonics. It's best guitar in the world, imo.

My only complaint with the modern gibson are the steel bridge posts sound harsh in the high end and the latest version of the abr1, at least the one that comes on the '61 is rattly junk. Replaced it with tone pros abr1 style and it rattled more...I filled it with rubber and glue. No more rattle. Next time I'll stick with the tonepro nashville style I use on another guitar because it doesn't rattle.

Latest posts