Dumb and getting dumber.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
"I still remember my first ever lesson in secondary school (age 11), and I still have the text book from it "

Forgive me Don. <------He probably has the same shoes from age 11 too. Nicely kept and restored at the cobbler as needed. :D

Oh yeah, and a hard life growing up and thru adulthood gave me my only lessons on "critical thinking" I am often the most surly, look at the crap that guy pulled, OMG "what a boob" WTF was he thinking? kinda critical thinker ever.

Some of the worst offenders to me are engineers.
From a lifetime of using products engineers design and not liking over designed failure prone crap,,,,,,, I call a spade a spade and shake my head in disgust when I see junk some engineer created to fail.

I am forever "fixing" and modifying parts on gadgets, equipment, vehicles etc just to keep them functioning as long as hard earned money deserves a product to last.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
The engineer comment makes me laugh as I recall a day when a buddy and I were doing remodeling work for a lady and I heard her consternation at her vacuum cleaner malfunctioning or basically being crap. I blurted out,,,,,, " an engineer designed it to do that"

She replied, "Yup, I am one"

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Well, I'm half engineer, half scientist, and as you can see from my sig line at the moment I'm helping my friend Anita design a new knitting machine. My approach to it is that nothing is going to fail - it's a Victorian style project. For example, here is the part that guides the needles into the knitting head. Chrome steel and heavy...

extended carriage.png

So yes, I know exactly what you mean about some engineering - particularly the software front panels we have to deal with.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I've been accused of "Soviet" engineering. Cheap as possible, but way overbuilt.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Don, That looks like a finely engineered item.

I do take both sides of the position and give credit where credit is due. If I find something well thought out, easy to service and disassemble and reassemble if needed, I put 2 thumbs up and say, " now that was a good design"

This is a story to illustrate a bad design which drove me nuts at the piss poor engineer that caused me to wrestle with a job that should have taken 1 minute but turned into maybe an hour to fix.

I was trying to disassemble the combination tail/brakelight/inner rear fender skirt/frame that houses these parts on an early 2000's Harley Davidson motorcycle. I wanted to disassemble the tail light and fender skirt etc to do a thorough cleaning of the parts and then put it back together as I wanted to make bike remain as clean and new in the years to come. The issue I encountered was brought about when I discovered they used a knurled brass cylindrical insert that was encapsulated in plastic within the tail light assembly. Then as I tried to remove 2 bolts, 1 on each side, I was able to get 1 out but the other seemed to hold fast to the insert. The more I worked to loosen the bolt, the more it just spun inside the plastic. Now what?

My solution was to take a Dremel tool to the plastic to expose the ferrule insert and grip it with pliers as I loosened the bolt completely.
After getting everything disassembled, I decided to strategically remove plastic around the inserts on both sides to create a recessed access area whereby a nut could replace that stupid insert and a wrench or socket could be used to hold the nut while tightening the bolts that held the assembly together.

Gee,,,,,,, WTF was some dumb cluck thinking? A simple nut and bolt from the get go, and I would not be needing to tell this story.

The sequel to the story is, a few years later I took a look under the fenders of some newer models. The company changed the design. Something tells me I wasn't the only one to experience spinning inserts.

donepearce

Reaction score
Don, That looks like a finely engineered item.

I do take both sides of the position and give credit where credit is due. If I find something well thought out, easy to service and disassemble and reassemble if needed, I put 2 thumbs up and say, " now that was a good design"

This is a story to illustrate a bad design which drove me nuts at the piss poor engineer that caused me to wrestle with a job that should have taken 1 minute but turned into maybe an hour to fix.

I was trying to disassemble the combination tail/brakelight/inner rear fender skirt/frame that houses these parts on an early 2000's Harley Davidson motorcycle. I wanted to disassemble the tail light and fender skirt etc to do a thorough cleaning of the parts and then put it back together as I wanted to make bike remain as clean and new in the years to come. The issue I encountered was brought about when I discovered they used a knurled brass cylindrical insert that was encapsulated in plastic within the tail light assembly. Then as I tried to remove 2 bolts, 1 on each side, I was able to get 1 out but the other seemed to hold fast to the insert. The more I worked to loosen the bolt, the more it just spun inside the plastic. Now what?

My solution was to take a Dremel tool to the plastic to expose the ferrule insert and grip it with pliers as I loosened the bolt completely.
After getting everything disassembled, I decided to strategically remove plastic around the inserts on both sides to create a recessed access area whereby a nut could replace that stupid insert and a wrench or socket could be used to hold the nut while tightening the bolts that held the assembly together.

Gee,,,,,,, WTF was some dumb cluck thinking? A simple nut and bolt from the get go, and I would not be needing to tell this story.

The sequel to the story is, a few years later I took a look under the fenders of some newer models. The company changed the design. Something tells me I wasn't the only one to experience spinning inserts.

Unfortunately I can visualise the series of meetings that resulted in that pice of sh*t. In the end it was that saving of half a cent per unit that swayed the decision.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Raiyn, "I've been accused of "Soviet" engineering. Cheap as possible, but way overbuilt."

I hear Hiwatt Amps had the reputation of that 2nd aspect.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Don,,,,,,,,, the funny thing is I bet you know what happens to 2 fasteners, one made of steel which is threaded into another made of brass.

My solution was to replace them both with Stainless steel fasteners. No more headache.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
"Yer quote or reply links busted?"

My "quote or reply links" are overengineered...... The gray box miniscule writing thing that requires 9 clicks to post and then for someone to read, PROVES MY POINT yet again.

donepearce

Reaction score
Don,,,,,,,,, the funny thing is I bet you know what happens to 2 fasteners, one made of steel which is threaded into another made of brass.

My solution was to replace them both with Stainless steel fasteners. No more headache.

Add in road dirt and damp, and yes, it is pretty obvious what happens. But then again, the light is probably going to fail after the warranty peiod is up, so the replacement pod is just added revenue.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
1/2 the time I click stuff and think it sent, Come back 30 minutes later looking for replies from you guys and it is still sitting there because it is waiting for me to hit the Post reply spot for the 100th time b4 it will post.

Raiyn

Reaction score
1/2 the time I click stuff and think it sent, Come back 30 minutes later looking for replies from you guys and it is still sitting there because it is waiting for me to hit the Post reply spot for the 100th time b4 it will post.
Something's broke on your end then. Been using the Kindle mainly for months on here with no issues....

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Never used a kindle.

I am mainly on PC and the whole INSERT quotes after clicking to quote or multi quote or reply or whatever, then it kind of disappears and ya say Oh, I have to go click another place, then go to another place to type what I intend to say, then hit enter or send or whatever ad think it goes, but nope, it seems to want something else,,,,,,,,,,, In other words, what used to be simple and efficient is now a multi step pain in the AZZ

alexander paul

Reaction score
Or one can Cut n Paste other people's stuff then type my stuff and Hit send and Simple as that, the words appear.
if it ain't broke than don't fix it...

iu