Early Melody Maker D - 1965/66

mrk

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Melody Maker D body on eBay that had been parted out, refinished, you name it. The provided pictures in the auction showed virtually no trace of a serial number. I didn't give a lot of thought to this, as my plan was to sand it down and refinish as new, since it obviously didn't have an original finish, and I know enough about these old MMs to know what I was buying. However, upon wiping it down with a slightly damp cloth, I noticed that the serial number appeared to be RAISED rather than stamped
(Indiana Jones moment!) - see accompanying picture. Has anyone out there seen this before with these mid-60s Gibsons?

IMG_5147.JPG

Biddlin

Reaction score
Did it seem like the numbers "raised" when moistened?

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
I'm betting they did. The numbers get punched into the wood, crushing the fibres down. Then the final sanding and finishing happens, removing a little of the flat area. Finally, along comes the water into the crushed fibres, and they pop right up above the lowered area surrounding them.

mrk

Reaction score
Yes, the wood is in great condition. No weirdness that I've been able to identify. I will post progress pics as I get going on this.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I'm betting they did. The numbers get punched into the wood, crushing the fibres down. Then the final sanding and finishing happens, removing a little of the flat area. Finally, along comes the water into the crushed fibres, and they pop right up above the lowered area surrounding them.
enhanced-buzz-15088-1349791497-3.jpg