eastwood airlines?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DisclaimeR, Sep 7, 2007.

1. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

no, im not a white stripes fan :coolsmiley:

anyone here played one? theres a used one on elderly right now that i dont know if i should pass up. it just looks cool and goofy and doesnt sound too bad from the soundclips and vids they have on their site. http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

experiences? good? bad? thoughts?

2. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Looks well...

Cool & goofy : )

Funny thing is, Jack white bought his from a friend for about 50$
    I think his was made from something other than wood though...
    And now the non wood ones are worth like 2-3 grand!

Personally i wouldn't like it though, because i can see myself smacking my hand on those tone/volume knobs an having blood fly everywhere...

It actually did happen to me while playing an intense flamenco jam where my thumb started bleeding and the guitar ended up with blood sprayed all over it.

If you have more controlled picking than me i say go for it!

3. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

;D ;D
    sometimes i get pretty close to bleeding when i drop my pick in a fast part of a song and just whack away with my thumbs until i get a spare moment.

they were made out of res-o-glass (basically carbon fiber) by Valco in the 60's.

chambered mahogany doesnt sound too bad tho.

i look around a bit and people said the knobs dont really get in the way, they must be low profile or something.

anyways, i went ahead an got the highway 1 tele. always wanted one, and now i wont feel as bad when i get a chambered deluxe body to replace it later on down the road.

4. wildelectric

wildelectric Member

The one on Elderly is the lower grade model. If you're seriously considering getting one those things, do yourself a favor and go for the Airline Deluxe, which is what you're looking at when clicking on the link you've posted. The one on Elderly is lower quality all the way around, not to mention a bolt-on instead of set neck.

I sold one of those to finance a CS reissue SG. For being so goofy looking, the guitar (the Airline) plays quite well. The neck is very similar to a Gibson "50s rounded" with a nice rosewood board, fret access is just like a Les Paul, and its fairly lightweight. The knobs don't get in the way much once you adjust your style a bit, and it sounds killer, especially for any louder volumes. Very crunchy and pronounced sound. Also cleans up reasonably well, but look at the guitar - does it look like a clean channel axe??

5. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

umm...that is a deluxe on elderly, which is what i linked to on eastwood's website. and all the airlines have bolt on necks. the only differences are the 3rd pickup and a bigsby.

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

7. DisclaimeR

DisclaimeR Member

8. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    :funny: :funny: :rofl: :rofl: ;D :D

9. jetlag

jetlag Member

I love this company.

Purely on the fact they have a great selection for lefties at the same price! Bang!

10. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

does any one know if there mosrite copy sounds like a mosrite, i've been gassing for a real one for years but never have the funds when i find one

11. TNT

TNT Active Member

1982 version of an Eastwood Airline:
    [img width=345 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/straycat68/firefox-clint-eastwood-movie-poster.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :p

12. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

this looks familiar... cant quite place where ive seen something like this before ;D

[img width=609 height=480]http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/Corona/images/corona-big/coronared_big.jpg[/img]