ebony boards on faded SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by oldrockfan, Apr 20, 2009.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

OK guys, I stumbled across neat SG and want to figure out what exactly it was. I assume was a faded SG special but it had some interesting features for a faded series special. The guitar had an ebony fretboard, dots, chrome covers on the pups and a slim neck. Anyone ever heard of those before? The only ebony boards I've seen on faded SGs were those ones with the moon inlays. Never seen one with dots and also never seen them with the slim necks, the ones I've seen have the thicker necks. It also looked like it had a longer neck tenon than the usual faded ones I've seen which makes it even more unusual. Anyone ever seen something like that? Oh it also had a brown finish but was nicer than a faded. Not quite gloss but not porousn grain like a faded. More like a satin finish.

2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

it could possibly be a transition model between the moon inlays to dot while still maintaining the ebony board?

3. philosopher

philosopher Member

I used to own a faded sg with ebony board, dot inlays, thick neck, no pup covers.
    Great guitar, I regret giving it away.
    It was a 2003 model as far as I can remember.

4. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

mine is one of those that was made right after the moons..its an 04 , and its ebony..[​IMG][​IMG]faded(ebony) top...classic(rosewood) bottom

5. crippe

crippe Member

I have one of these, it's faded brown and was (according to guitar dater project) made on september 15 2003. I bought it new in 2004 and it was my 30th birthday present to myself :) I added the witch hat knobs myself, it came with reflector knobs.

[​IMG]

6. oldrockfan

thanks for the pics guys! The one i saw looks just like those. the one I saw definately had chrome covers on the pups and a slim neck profile. I really liked the look of the ebony on that natural brown finish. I think I am going to have to take a second look at it. Looked very cool for a faded finish. I am guessing maybe the previous owner did the polishing trick on that faded finish to give it that semi gloss look.

7. crippe

crippe Member

I haven't used any polish on mine and it's a lot glossier now than when I bought it - just from playing it and the occasional wipe-down.

8. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

I don't know, I suspect it could just be a normal faded with PUP covers added, and dark Rosewood that the seller has mistaken for Ebony.

Crippe, your FB looks like dark Rosewood to me.

9. nomad100

nomad100 Member

mine has ebony, dots and a thinner neck than my zakk wylde. I want another just like it. Soon will have a copper pick guard

10. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

[quote author=nomad100 link=topic=19120.msg231921#msg231921 date=1240519094]
    mine has ebony, dots and a thinner neck than my zakk wylde. I want another just like it. Soon will have a copper pick guard
    [/quote]

Let's see a pic of the FB...

11. philosopher

philosopher Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19120.msg231922#msg231922 date=1240521244]
    Let's see a pic of the FB...
    [/quote]

There have indeed been faded sgs with ebony boards and dot inlays man, why are you so skeptical about it?
    There are many who claim they have (or have had) one, they can't be all wrong.
    There's a mile and more difference between a dark rosewood fretboard and an ebony one.
    The feel is night and day, you can tell the difference in a second.
    I, for one, did have an ebony board sg faded with dots, I don't think I had the only one.

12. oldrockfan

I checked on it and definately looks like ebony to me. Rosewood is porous and streaked and this one was dense and not porous at all. Also a rich black color and a slim neck. I was not in the market but have to admit I am tempted to get it. Looks like a great players guitar and I seriously doubt gibson will ever again put ebony on their budget priced guitars. So was it just my imagination or did those ebony faded guitars have a longer neck tenon than normal? I didn't get to compare it side by side with another SG but sure seemed that way. Either that or just a deeper cut for the horns.

13. mikeystool

i got my faded before i got my classic, and to be honest i just didnt even think about what wood it was....when i got the classic , right away i noticed the difference in looks..and when i cleaned the fretboards with lem oil, i noticed the rosewood soaks the stuff right in, the fadeds fretboard, the stuff sat on top, hardly penetrating..its almost like a chalk board..the rosewood was porous, and grainy..ah, :roll: look at my pic .i like the feel...i use something other than lem oil now for the faded btw, it works a lot better...

14. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

Here's my faded made in May, 2003 in Nashville TN. The fretboard is definitely ebony (mikeystool had a good comparison to a chalkboard -- I agree). Also, the body is almost one piece. The second small piece is near the edge through the control cavity. I thought these early faded specials were great value. Mine was a bit more than $500 new.

[​IMG]

15. mikeystool

[quote author=Dorian link=topic=19120.msg231958#msg231958 date=1240554248]
    Here's my faded made in May, 2003 in Nashville TN. The fretboard is definitely ebony (mikeystool had a good comparison to a chalkboard -- I agree). Also, the body is almost one piece. The second small piece is near the edge through the control cavity. I thought these early faded specials were great value. Mine was a bit more than $500 new.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]sweet axe man!..yeah we got ours back in the days of the low prices, if there was a time..i got mine in early 05 for $669.00...mines a early 04'..from what i saw just from looking on e-bay, and seeing others, seems they stopped the ebony fretboards on the them mid to later 04'...i got to take a new pic of mine, it sure has been played, and has many battle scars, and it sure is getting,umm..character ;D its become worn like an old pair of levi's..i gave up on trying to baby it...

16. oldrockfan

Regarding that Ebony board faded SG, I may have a big announcement this afternoon but don't want to jinx it so won't say more now.

17. oldrockfan

don't want to sidetrack the thread so will start a new one but got me one of those ebony fretboard SGs!

18. oldrockfan

sas going to start a new thread with my new guitar but decided I will just continue this one since you guys shared pics of your other cool ebony board SGs. Pics of my new SG faded will be up shortly!

19. mikeystool

sorry for jumping the gun ORF, but what pups are in your new baby? i heard the chrome cover part..are they the original pups with chrome covers, or something else? wants to seee this thang :Droolin:

20. oldrockfan

ok, pic time!
    [​IMG]
    I tweaked the contrast and used a flash on this one to show the grain
    [​IMG]
    this is no flash and closer to actual wood color
    [​IMG]
    closeup of the nice ebony fretboard.