Electric Guitars and Tough Decisions

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Westernrider, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

This afternoon I came across an article, located in the American Thinker - a conservative blog, that deserves our attention. The blog's author addresses the age old question - why would a young man that starts out with a Fender jump ship and get a Gibson?

First, I am giving the link to the original blog. Next, I have copied the blog and am posting it below.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/06/electric_guitars_and_tough_decisions.html

June 30, 2020

Electric guitars and tough decisions

By Michael James

I write about music to offer a fleeting digression from the unhappy news of the day.

You should interpret this blog post as well expressed opinion rather than absolute fact. I recommend a tempo of adagio; you may go off the path for a moment if you like.

An electric guitar, like a fine-looking woman, should have a neck that is proportionate and comfortable. Guitars vary in the qualities and styles that catch an individual's attention and later devotion.

In stating this I mean absolutely no slight upon the many marvelous instrumentalists who play, say, an oboe or a tambourine. Deft description should run in an open pasture of personal application.

For those who have not spent the last 60 years ruminating upon electric guitars, I will offer a short primer. There are two basic models; everything else is of attractive hybrid. There is the bolt-on neck and clean pickups of a Fender model or the glued-on neck and less ethereal sound of a Gibson. After that, it is all proportion, individual recipe, and feel.

My first electric was a strange beast my father bought from the local shopkeeper. It was a Fender Coronado II, and it mimicked the dimensions and temperament of a pterodactyl. It was once red and flashy; today, it has aged to a light and unappealing orange.

You might think I would be a Fender man the rest of my life, but I'm not. My favorite Fender is a Stratocaster, and I own one with a beautifully clear voice, but it's too hard to control on stage. This is not a failing of the instrument; it demands an attention to detail I have no gift or appetite for. Jeff Beck is a genius. I'm not; I'm just a really good sideman. I need consistent reliability of response.

As I prospered, there were interludes with several Gibson Les Pauls of uncommon beauty and talent, but eventually they all grew heavy and stiff. They made my left shoulder ache and pinched my lower ribs.

Then I found an old Gibson SG Special, a '63. Its pickup configuration was of two single-coil P-90s. The neck was warm and beautifully sculpted; it had a give and elasticity that fit me immediately. It looked older than it was. I put a set of Grover tuning keys on it, and together we went on a thirty-year run.

The old SG is retired now; it was already a hard used twelve when adopted. She had what one might refer to as a checkered past. Today I play a 2006 reissue of similar design and demeanor.

Sometimes, I watch a moment of the many "Guitar Tone Tests" that litter YouTube. Too many of the testers have an unrefined technique, which always renders the same shallow tone regardless of model being tested. No one thinks to call them "Technique Tests."

Your fingertips have to understand at what pressure point a string will sing in its clearest and most sustained voice. It takes thought and patient trial and error. Rash decisions will never obtain.

The pleasure derived from such thoughtful examination of physics and athleticism is immense. It keeps you off the streets.

Michael James has been a professional guitarist and public school music educator for over forty years.

Also, I have included a picture of the author's guitar.

SG on a bench.png

SGBreadfan and Piper68Special like this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Until now, I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe a Fender Stratocaster as "too hard to control on stage". It's a comment that deserves explanation, but he just says "it demands an attention to detail I have no gift or appetite for".

Then he goes on to describe playing in general: "Your fingertips have to understand at what pressure point a string will sing in its clearest and most sustained voice. It takes thought and patient trial and error. Rash decisions will never obtain."

That sound like enough 'attention to detail' for the average Strat!

Reminds me why I don't read blogs: Life contains enough crap without adding to it in my spare time.

Looks like a Yamaha SG on the rack behind the Gibson. I wonder how much 'attention to detail' he needs to give that one to control it on stage? :)

fos1 likes this.
  3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

yeah... he kinda lost me at conservative blog.

Hard to see how those things go together in any kind of weather.

flognoth and gball like this.
  4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Agree there. And the post doesn't seem to say anything, really, about why he considered it a "tough choice." He found something that worked better for him and used the right tool for the job...why is that to be considered it "tough."

flognoth and Norton like this.
  5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

So, what is he saying?

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I suspect what he isn't saying is more relevant.

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Phew, I thought I didn't understand what was written at first because I really couldn't find a point anywhere in that text.

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Mental Constipation

fos1 and flognoth like this.
  9. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Or verbal diarrhea.

10. cerebral gasket

Diarrhea Writing Disorder

11. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

****, I have more people on "ignore" that there are active posters...

Biddlin likes this.
  12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

I have to say that the display of intolerance is absolutely amazing. Pile right on, oh open-minded ones.

Bob

Robert Morris likes this.
  13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Like my signature says:

14. Von Trapp

I don't get it, what is it that would be considered intolerant?

SG standard likes this.
  15. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Good question.

FWIW, I like your signature. Some might say that's intolerant too, but why should we have to tolerate a GIF endlessly jerking back and forth whilst we're trying to read text on a page. Once in a post is OK, but endlessly seeing the same one on every page...? How does anyone think that's a cool thing to do?

Von Trapp likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

What signatures?
    I have them disabled in the preferences.
    Most of them quotes from other people.
    Can't come up with their own ideas.

17. Von Trapp

Hang on what? This is possible?

18. Von Trapp

Good question. Since the eye is trained to get drawn to moving objects (and/or light) it's only natural that it will irritate the hell out of you since they keep going there. It's mainly grandma/grandpas that use it I think because of the novelty value. (to them) and yes, my statement and position on this matter are extremely intolerant, and I have no problem admitting it. There's absolutely no reason why everyone should tolerate everything all the time, some people don't tolerate me - but I totally tolerate that.

In this thread however I believe my signature is the only intolerance.

SG standard likes this.
  19. cerebral gasket

Imagine if they allowed GIF's as avatars here.

20. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I’m a conservative and a guitarist and fail to see the point of this blog post. :confused:

Biddlin, fos1 and Von Trapp like this.