Electric Guitars and Tough Decisions

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Westernrider, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Holy sh!t, they're gone! I'm forever in your debt!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  2. Yeti Soul

Yeti Soul New Member

I find the blog to be an inspired expression of passion for a guitar and sharing of that experience. Is that not what this forum is about? If not I am in the wrong place.

3. Von Trapp

Not at all. But just because you find something inspired doesn't mean others do, or have to. I think that when you publish something you're subjected to a different level of scrutiny than say if you write a post here. The piece you quoted just wasn't interesting (to me) It had no focus, no development, no tips and tricks, no moral (as in moral of the story) and wasn't written in an interesting style or with wit and humor. So yeah, to me it was rather bland I'm afraid. Perhaps if one knew the guy, or of him, or if it had been written by insert famous guitarist it would have a different value but as is? Meh.

Also, if you put something out here for evaluation, you must be prepared to get both good and negative feedback. Because we are all different, have different reference points, different tastes and different values. Some people may find this post rubbish, for instance. That's fine with me, and if they can point out why then they may actually have valid points and I would learn something, or just have some interesting banter. Or just put them on ignore. That's the name of the game here on the world wide webs as far as I'm concerned. So keep posting and you'll find some interesting knowledgeable people, I'm sure.

4. Yeti Soul

Yeti Soul New Member

I misunderstood the purpose of the forum. I thought it was a discussion forum open to everyone. A discussion forum can be interesting, boring informative or entertaining. Just like in a conversation you listen and take the good with the bad. When a person is simply scrutinized out of the conversation it means that everything they have to offer is shut down. It is no longer an open discussion and it loses any potential to be worth anyone's time. Nobody will share the precious tips and information because you might cut them down. Or they will eventually catch on and intentionally give bad or misleading info out of spite.

Sorry, that last part slipped out because that's how it is where I work.

But if I am off track here, I apologise and I will simply thank the op for submitting the writing. The writing is simply a muse, and I know people who speak this way so I kind of enjoy that type of discourse. I'm not judging and I'm just taking it at face value.

5. Von Trapp

I don't understand what you feel you misunderstood, it is a discussion forum and it is open to everyone.

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I had an SG before I had a Strat , and I certainly didn't jump ship with that purchase. I play both, and both demand identical attention to get the best out of them. I get the feeling that the writer of that blog was just trying to sound smart, an insider with arcane knowledge.

To quote a wise man "Shut up and play your guitar"

SG standard likes this.
  7. Von Trapp

I had a Strat before I had an SG but there's not much of a story attached to it I'm afraid. Other than that I discovered there are different types of Gibson necks...

8. Von Trapp

I just read the piece again and realized there's JUST NO STORY. He played one type of guitar, then another. That's not a story. A story is "For years I played a Fender strat in celibacy, then I realized that in order to get laid I had to play the SG instead. I practiced day and night for weeks, months, years almost drowning in sweat and the tears of my sexual frustration. Finally one night I was ready! I hit the stage running, Unchained if you will, eager to reap the rewards of so much hard work. But I was shivering so much from antici....pation that when I strapped on the guitar I cut my finger on the high E-string. Oh no! How was I now going to dazzle the female audience with my licks and tricks?! Would I despite everything now still not get laid? How will it end?!!!" etc etc etc

Also he seems to want to use as many high brow words and likenesses as he can possibly get in there but since he doesn't seem to master that kind of writing, it just results in a bunch of sentences stacked on each other with no natural flow. There's seemingly no reason for using those kind of words, it doesn't make the text better or the story more interesting. Almost every sentence has something that irks and irritates. "An electric guitar, like a fine-looking woman, should have a neck that is proportionate and comfortable." - I mean git da fck outta here! (and how is a womans neck fine and proportional other than to a strangler?!)

So yeah, people here didn't like it. No big deal, someone, somewhere probably did. Good for him.

Robert Morris and SG standard like this.
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

If you've got nothing to say, and say it plainly, it's immediately obvious you've got nothing to say. The more you dress it up with elaborate words and comparisons, the more it seems like you might've actually said something notable.

Richard Dawkins expressed it it well, with regard to Intellectual Impostures:
    "Suppose you are an intellectual impostor with nothing to say, but with strong ambitions to succeed in academic life, collect a coterie of reverent disciples and have students around the world anoint your pages with respectful yellow highlighter. What kind of literary style would you cultivate? Not a lucid one, surely, for clarity would expose your lack of content."

As for: An electric guitar, like a fine-looking woman, should have a neck that is proportionate and comfortable - that made me cringe. Too Swiss Tony:

Von Trapp likes this.
  10. Von Trapp

Hahaha, I think I'm going to be stuck with Swiss Tony on youtube for a while, that sh!t is funny!