Empty speaker cab recommendations

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Hey, I'm ready to put together another speaker cab. Last time I did this
I got great recommendations from this forum, but I can't recall the great maker
who built my unfinished cab.

I spent some time sifting through threads on this
forum looking for the contact, but you know how that goes... you look up an hour later
and you've been lost in amp/cab discussions and forgot why you came in... *shrugs

There must be a way to organize threads as a reader, but I don't know it.
So I'm just asking again: Who knows a great maker of unfinished cabs?
Shreddy, are you up and running with your Cabinet making?

Kep

Reaction score
What are you looking for? 4 x12? Light wieght? What type of amp will power the cab?

MojoTone has a bunch of good cabs relatively cheap.

ivan H

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't used the Mojotone speaker cabs but have a couple of the amp head cabs, Marshall plexi types (bought through Valvestorm). They are built exactly the same as the origonals, using the same materials, great cabs. I imagine their speaker cabs would be built to the same quality. Hope this helps. Cheers

67plexi

Reaction score
That's a loaded question Leo Fender used pine not for tone pine was dirt cheap. Howard Dumble used mahogany plywood for a warm mid-range.
My personal best sounding speaker is the EVM-12-S 300 watt. very heavy. How much of a foot print on stage do you want.
The green Hornet is one of the best sounding combo's I have ever played that's the silver face amp.

001 (5).JPG

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I'm looking to make something fairly small, I got a good deal on an 8 ohm 10" sub woofer speaker, and
am thinking of putting that in its own cab or combining it with a couple of 8" midrange drivers. Those
are 4 Ohms each, so if I wire them in series they ought to match up okay.

The idea of one cab with 1/10 and 2/8" is intriguing for guitar, and if I put the 10" in its own cab
I might use it as an extension speaker for my bass amp. Haven't decided yet, and the amount of
money people are asking for empty cabs seems high. You might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
the only one.

I'll check out some of these contacts. I've also got my eye out for a Blackheart 15W head which would
certainly run one or both of these.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
Hi Col! My cab is almost done . I had a bit of a set back when routing my edging. Let's just say I need more practice with the table router.

I know prices seem steep but I spent over $70 on a sheet of plywood ! Then there's the cutting , assembling ... you get the idea.

Good luck !

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I've wanted to try this guy's PS210 for a while:

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/index.html

I just don't have the space to spare though.
They look nice to me...

Thanks Don! That's the one I used before and could't remember or what. I already bought one from him, and have no hesitation
getting another one. As a matter of fact, I just completed my order. Thanks guys for all the answers. The other makers
look great too. But I really like my lightweight pine cab from this guy, and will be delighted to recieve another one.

Prices are NOT cheap, but for excellent work I'm willing to support a craftsman. I ordered an unfinished ported 1/10 cab
and the total including shipping from New England came to just under $190.00. A lot for a whim, but I really like the
wood look. I may end up getting a cover for it from Connie's Covers, another one of my fave crafts persons.

https://www.facebook.com/ConniesCovers/

I have a bunch of her covers and really like them for protecting my equipment in and out of the minivan.
Roland Case@100.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Why did you put the cover on ? We want to see that 10" cab, the one you just ordered.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Hi Col! My cab is almost done . I had a bit of a set back when routing my edging. Let's just say I need more practice with the table router.

I know prices seem steep but I spent over $70 on a sheet of plywood ! Then there's the cutting , assembling ... you get the idea.

Good luck !

Well, I read your thread with interest and enjoyed looking at all the pictures. I thought your wood shop looked
very cool. Keep us all informed if you decide to go public with your work. And if you do, make me a bid on a cab
that will house 1/12 and 1/10. I built my own out of 3/4" scrap plywood, and painted it black. *laughs
Not much finess doing that, but I used up some old wood and got my two speakers going.

Ready 09@100.jpg

The tone from a cab with 1/10 and 1/12 is very interesting to my ear. I used Jensen MOD speakers and they're all
right. Anyway, since I've done this project, I appreciate the work you've been doing, and the joinery and all.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Why did you put the cover on ? We want to see that 10" cab, the one you just ordered.

Doc, the cover is covering my Roland CB 60XT bass amp. This one:
Acorn Theatre 09-14-12@100.jpg

but here's a photo I dragged off the Tim Metzger site that bastard Don reminded me of...
Metzger calls this a "ducted Port 1/10 cab" although the picture itself is of the 1/12 version.
ported_cabs_u_003.JPG

syscokid

Reaction score
Hey, I'm ready to put together another speaker cab. Last time I did this
I got great recommendations from this forum, but I can't recall the great maker
who built my unfinished cab.

Hey Col,
I think I remembered that, and you liked my suggestion. I'm not sure if you went with that builder though. It was for unfinished cabs, too.
He goes by sorrycharly on ebay... out of Fresno, California.

Linky winky:
http://www.m.ebay.com/seller?sid=sorrycharly

gball

Reaction score

antichef

Reaction score
I got a Mojotone 4x12 maybe a year ago (with speakers) and I have been using it instead of the 1960A I've had since 1986 - great cab

thatbastarddon

Reaction score
Doc, the cover is covering my Roland CB 60XT bass amp. This one:
View attachment 21823

but here's a photo I dragged off the Tim Metzger site that bastard Don reminded me of...
Metzger calls this a "ducted Port 1/10 cab" although the picture itself is of the 1/12 version.
View attachment 21824
Oooh! I forgot that he was offering a 2x10 version of that cab! Sweet! If I ever get around to building that 18watt Baby Will....hmmmmm....i wonder if I could turn one of those in to a combo cab.....

Latest posts