Epi G-400 Faded: A great JAZZ guitar!

shamu1

Reaction score
I know any guitar can be used for jazz, but I've played some that are better than others, tone-wise. But man, I just recently bought a used $200 Epiphone Faded SG, and I have to say that it has the best clean jazz tone of all the guitars I've ever tried!

I bought it mainly because of its great looks and feel - I love that raw mahogany look, and I actually love the top heavy/baseball bat feel of the neck, believe it or not. But what I wasn't quite expecting the great jazz tone it gets. This axe has an awesome, bell-like woody tone when you play it clean, and even with a set of 10s on it, roll back the tone control on the guitar to about a 5, and it makes a great jazz box.

I can't wait to see how it sounds with a set of flat wound 12s!

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
I know any guitar can be used for jazz, but I've played some that are better than others, tone-wise. But man, I just recently bought a used $200 Epiphone Faded SG, and I have to say that it has the best clean jazz tone of all the guitars I've ever tried!

I bought it mainly because of its great looks and feel - I love that raw mahogany look, and I actually love the top heavy/baseball bat feel of the neck, believe it or not. But what I wasn't quite expecting the great jazz tone it gets. This axe has an awesome, bell-like woody tone when you play it clean, and even with a set of 10s on it, roll back the tone control on the guitar to about a 5, and it makes a great jazz box.

I can't wait to see how it sounds with a set of flat wound 12s!
I've known about that tone for quite some time . One caveat: When you switch to flat wound 12s, you'll not only need to adjust the neck relief, but pickup height as well, before you'll get that sweet tone .
Biddlin ;>)/

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I've played some G-400's before in the store and I was surprised how solid they felt & how well they played. They even felt more solid than my Gibby.;) Great guitar and I hope when I have the cash one day to pick one up. I saw a black beauty G-400 a few weeks ago for $299. I'm still making payments on my Gibby LP Studio so I had to sadly hold off. It was so tempting. I would love to get a Vintage G-400. They have bound necks. But I love the unbound version just as equally. I'm really impressed with Epiphones these days.

dbb

Reaction score
A solid body SG type guitar can be a great jazz axe, smooth, rich, fat sounding, with no dead spots or wolf notes like an archtop.

Latest posts