Epi LP Standard Pup Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Hammer, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I leave 3 guitars out on stands for quick fiddling...a Squier QMT HSS Strat, an Ibanez classical and an Epi LP. Of the bunch, the Epi is the most...underwhelming. The only time and effort I am really going to put into it is to throw one of Jonesy's (from MLP) pots & cap upgrades in and then upgrade the pups...hell, the stock bridge pup is so cheap and crappy some of the pole pieces won't even adjust. :laugh2:

Now...here's where I need opinions. The only other LPs I have are Gibbo and stock...a Pro and a Standard. In this Epi, without breaking the bank, I'd like to throw something in the neck that will be fat and blusey, and then something face melty in the bridge.

Actives are out, so hold your EMGs please. :p

I do have a JB sitting here doing nothing, so that is one candidate for the bridge spot...I know a 59 usually is paired with it, but is there anything else better suited?

2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I took the stock 490s out of my SG (replaced them with '57 classic and classic +). My step daughter had been given an Epiphone Les Paul Special ll, which is about as cheapo a lester as there is. Out of love for the young guitarist, I have replaced about everything on that Epi with better parts, and it actually sounds, feels and plays great now. So I put the stock 490s from my SG into the Epiphone coupled with an electronics upgrade kit from Stewmac and a TonePros bridge and tailpiece, new nut & tuners, and the guitar came alive!

So if you've got the money, and intend to play your Epi, not sell it... then put Gibson '57 classic + in your neck position, coupled with the JB in the bridge and a good quality rewiring kit. I'd recommend Tone Pros bridge & tail, Grover rotomatic tuners and a tusq nut as well. These upgrades take your Epiphone out of the "almost as good" category into "just as good if not better." But you can't get your money back if you sell it, because it's still an Epiphone. The beauty of doing these upgrades to an Epi is you can do them a little at a time, as you can afford it, and only if you want to. The stock parts are adequate, if uninspiring.

A cheaper alternative than the Gibson '57 classic + would be to buy a used 490R from someone on these boards and install that as your 'fat & bluesey' neck pup. Guys around here have 490s sitting in boxes getting dusty, from upgrading their SGs. And I'll tell you from experience that the 490 pickup sounds actually better in an Epiphone than it did in the Gibson. So it's a good choice for small money, IMHO.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

4. saxosim

saxosim Active Member

Hi Hammer I would look at an SD Pearly gates for the neck. It will give you a very deep sound like it sounds like you want, when I got back my old Epi LP recently it had a pearly gates in the neck and a custom custom in the bridge. I found the neck just too deep for me so I put the pearly gates in the bridge and put a 59 in the neck instead which gave me a less bassy classic sound but with a nice bite in the bridge.

Cheers :)

Col Mustard likes this.
  5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Active Member

i have a jb in the bridge of my epi lp and a jazz in the neck, im very happy with this combo. but if i did change it i most prob go with a set of 59's or pearly gates.

Col Mustard likes this.
  6. Phildog

Phildog Member

I have GFS Vintage 59's in my Epi LP. They sound great...not hot, but warm and bluesy. It also helped that I upgraded the harness as well.

Col Mustard likes this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

what about the bare knuckles... my first post was trying not to break the bank. are they too costly?