Epi Special II needed some love

Sweetums

Reaction score
Thought I would share this project. Picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Special II a few weeks back from a pawn shop for $45US. Wasn’t really that bad off, just loose tuners, a few deep scratches, and crackly pots.

- Cleaned and oiled the fretboard with lemon oil
- Replaced stock plastic nut with GraphTeck Tusq XL
- Replaced stock speed knobs with reflector knobs
- Replaced stock plastic jack plate with chrome jack plate
- Was going to put a Switchcraft jack in it, but it already had one
- Replaced stock tuners with some better ones I had from the parts drawer
- Changed strings (D’addario half-round 10s)
- Put chrome covers on the 650R / 700T pickups
- Used Deoxit on pots and selector switch to solve crackling
- Colored and buffed the deeper poly scratches
- Slight adjustment to truss rod and bridge height

It is almost impossible to photograph, but it has a transparent black veneer on the front and back of the body. Turns out it’s a “limited edition” run for Guitar Center. From across the room it looks like the ebony version, but up close it has a nice flamed maple top.

I’m pretty impressed with the sound of the stock pickups, so I didn’t change them out. The neck has the same feel as the one on my Epi G400 Pro SG, which is definitely a good thing to me.

Great fun for around $100!

[GALLERY=media, 1208]IMG_3661 by Sweetums posted May 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1210]IMG_3665 by Sweetums posted May 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1217]IMG_3648 by Sweetums posted May 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1215]IMG_3672 by Sweetums posted May 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1214]IMG_3670 by Sweetums posted May 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM[/GALLERY]

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Bravo on rescuing a pound puppy! Now take it out in the sun and see if you can get some shots of that flame finish.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Looks great, and those standard pups are pretty good.

Wookiee

Reaction score
Do I see a flame top on that? I thought Specials only had plain tops. Neat!

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I too have rebuilt an Epiphone Les Paul special ll. The instrument responded very well to
upgrades. And like you, I thought the stock pickups sounded very good after I replaced the
wiring harness with good quality parts. I replaced the p'ups later with a set of Gibson 490R and 490T
pickups that I took out of my SG, and they sound better in the Epiphone than they ever did
in the SG. Go figure.

The bolt on neck of this model does not interfere with sustain... just like it does not
on a Fender. The plywood body seems to have no effect on the tone, which is excellent
now. Enjoy your project, and give us a review and more photos when you're done.
entire@100.jpg
Epi bridge@100.jpg
Epi headstock 7@100.jpg
Epi Tribal Rose TRC@100.jpg

Chubbles

Reaction score
Rebuilding a special II too. Deoxit fixes everything! It's better than duct tape.

Latest posts