Epiphone G-400 Pro - solid Mahogany? Nah...

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Erik Holm Nielsen, May 27, 2017.

1. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Solid? Veneer? Whatever it is, it looks good to me :thumb:

AlexEP, Raiyn and dub-setter like this.
  2. Erik Holm Nielsen

Erik Holm Nielsen New Member

Thanks, no it's the original veener.

3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Not an easy thing...keeping that intact. Nice work!

4. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

No, that's not possible because Gibson runs their own plant in China. Search youtube for the factory tour. It's pretty obvious it is their factory, not shared.

They aren't.
    The CEO of Epiphone has stated unequivocally that they do not and have not used photoflame since Asian production started. If you have evidence of photoflame usage I'd love to see it.

PeteR and DrBGood like this.
  5. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Fotoflame has moved on to a lazer etching onto an ultra thin slither of wood (which has been described as mdf pressed into a laminate on a couple of sites I read up on); as I explained in an earlier link. These epis are a sandwich construction with a fotoflame veneer (a lazer etching process) front and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/rebuilding-a-epiphone.282533/

Here's an Epi 'rosewood' neck for you:

[​IMG]
    http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/1228876-

Endless examples on the net - not quite the solid wood construction the marketing material states, although you can consider mdf plywood pressed into a veneer then sandwiched front a back of a guitar 'solid wood' if you wish...

Why folks defend dishonest business practices is beyond me; we, the consumer, lose out.

There's nothing wrong with these processes for affordable guitars, just don't pretend they are a solid wood made in the traditional style - that'd be a 20mm maple cap with the top coloured; which is exactly how $350 Korean guitars are made (I've seen clear descriptions of between 12mm to 20mm maple caps).

drown likes this.
  6. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

False.
    No where in that thread did anyone say anything about foto/photoflame nor was there any whining about maple blah blah.
    Quote=ShelbyDude
    How interesting to find this post. I am working on the same basic project. Just for something to do and to see what's what.

I stripped the veneer off the back. And started removing wood for a belly cut. May also shave the heel. Not sure yet.

[​IMG]

Then I removed the veneer from the front. This one was much thinner than the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No maple cap for this one. It's all mahogany. I'll be working on a neck pretty soon if I can find time.

ShelbyDude, Jan 28, 2014

[/quote]
    That photo was posted on HC second hand with no sourcing link. The OP states it's from a thread entitled "eBay Follies" but provides no link to the original thread or site. We have no reason to believe that's an Epiphone (real or fake) other than the HC thread's OP statement about it being an Epi Dot.

It's as valid as this photo from Sarah Palin:
    [​IMG]

No politics involved here, just a comment about using an unrelated picture to try to prove a point.

That's actually a picture of the last day of the 2011 Florida State Legislature. It had diddly to do with the Paris Accord.
    http://www.politifact.com/florida/s...palin-facebook-meme-climate-accord-uses-unre/

Now, if you'd like to stop beating a dead horse......

Don't like 'em don't buy 'em, and don't berate people who choose to.

Ya'll are getting as bad as that French ****.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    PeteR, ScottMarlowe and DrBGood like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thanks Raiyn ...

Boo's reply is what I'd call bullcaca. I guess, you know, with the alternate reality concept nowadays, it could be ... real.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    PeteR and Raiyn like this.
  8. ScottMarlowe

Yeah, veneer <> laser etched / photoflame. I'd like to see any real evidence of it. Veneer, plain old veneer, is cheap as dirt. You shave a log of stripy-ish wood (mahogany or otherwise) and the final product costs pennies per guitar.

If they're using photoflame I'd imagine we'd get guitars with exact finishes over and over, and we don't.

You can hate on veneers, fine. But to say they're photoflame with no actual proof is just making up stories.

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Tales of the Boogie Man ...

10. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

There is a near zero percent chance that the "epiphone" factory is under complete Gibson control. That's simply NOT how china does business with foreign corporations. China retains ownership and always has the option to take over some percentage of production time on those factory lines.

drown likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

12. ScottMarlowe

http://www.epiphone.com/news-featur...ingdao-factory-all-epiphone-all-the-time.aspx

Direct quote from the article:

"EPI: Many factories in Asia make guitars for many different brands. However, GQ makes only Epiphone guitars. What competitive advantages does that ultimately offer the Epiphone customer?"

But by all means, keep spreading lies. sigh.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Will do Scotty!

Thanks for the inside info...as in inside the company....and the accusation. Super helpful and nice.

14. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

And raiyn... it's just information, it's all just interesting information about guitars.

Like what kind of wire is in your pickups? Do you care? Does it matter? How about the pots in your guitar?

Does it matter? Depends. Is it interesting ? Maybe. Is it about guitars? Then it's probably interesting to me.

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Don't waste your keystrokes. Nothing will sway a dedicated conspiracy theorist. Just look at those Flat Earth nutbars for an example.

PeteR and DrBGood like this.
  16. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Nice.

Insults are always the most persuasive way to prove your point and win allies.... Always.

Not a conspiracy even near this thread....or my statement on Chinese manufacturing practices.

While it's true that I haven't personally spent time there.... my family has... in large scale commercial product manufacturing. So while the information is second hand.....it is still direct information about how business is conducted in china.

The guitar market is much smaller than the market I'm referencing. But I'm sure epiphone was able to negotiate a special and unique deal with the Chinese gov't.

It totally makes sense.

17. ScottMarlowe

You write a big enough check, you get what you want. That's pretty much how all governments work. In light of any other evidence I'll believe that's exactly what HJ did.

Raiyn likes this.
  18. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. And probably is exactly the kind of thinking that got Gibson in the financial mess they are currently in.

What you say makes sense. But it's not how China has operated in the past. Maybe things are different.

It sure Seems like folks like the Nike family could write a much bigger check. Maybe they just aren't as smart as HJ.

19. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

As a former global business exec who has been involved in countless marketing meetings, it is truly shocking how dumb the consumer will go out of their way to be... I stopped working in business, earning a massive salary, flying around the world first class and staying in 5 star accommodation because I was sick of the unethical practices and deceit - if only idiots like Raiyn understood what contempt the marketing folk, who earn massive commissions based on cutting product/manufacturing costs and increasing company profits, hold consumers like him - they literally laugh about such people and their willingness to be shafted, quite literally laugh about such folks in meetings when they propose new ways to charge the consumer for less... His aggressive apathy and ignorance damages all consumers; we get less and we pay more.

In the last couple of decades the executive salaries have increased x10, and this is due to the dumb consumers willingness to repeat cliches and slogans and just buy products they are told are the best ever product without doing any research...

If somebody wants to defend this as a 20mm maple cap:

[​IMG]

...in whatever round about way they attempt to defend it or win the argument, the fact remains they are a braindead, brainwashed moron - and this is exactly why the likes of Trunp get voted in or Hilary, and this is why the elites have more profits than ever while there are more unemployed and lower wages.

I'm off this forum. It really is a waste of time trying to have a discussion when morons dominate.

This is a $500 Epiphone:

[​IMG]

This is a $400 Corona with a 20mm maple cap, free $100 boss pedal, free headphones, orange drop caps, CTS pots, the list goes on:

[​IMG]
    http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/Shop/index.php3?var=Good&Good_no=29124&version=pc

Epiphone are raping you, they have massively cut production costs, increased prices and are not at all competitive when judged against dozens of alternatives, yet some total imbeciles, ironically the same imbeciles who endless attack Gibson 'cork sniffers', will defend them inanely.

Handmade at Fujigen, Japan and US - cut costs/increase profits, so...
    Made in Korea - cut costs/increase profits, so...
    Made in Q, China - very cheap labout, very cheap manufacturing costs, increase prices...

Enjoy your stupidity, the execs and their country estates are loving you for it...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Norton and drown like this.
  20. drown

drown Well-Known Member

They are not different. I live here. Everything is a scam. A friend of mine had a guitar made recently as a prototype. they cut as many corner as they thought they could get away with. Other friends of mine manufacture fishing rods here, they copy and steal from everyone. That's the culture. There are no consequences and the system is setup to function in a way we would find repulsive. That's just the way it goes.

Norton likes this.