Epiphone inspired by Tony iommi monkey sg

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by purple dragon, Jun 17, 2020.

1. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

My epi monkey is almost done.waiting on the les Paul trossrod cover and pickup cover and posseble change magnets before epoxy the pickups.then posseble add the pickups switch cover on the bridge post.some relick and fine sanding on the pickguard etc before its 100%.now i will point out that i did base this on how the monkey did look In 1973/74/75 so its not like it look like to day like the gibson replica is based on.hope you guys and gals like it

2. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Dude, that is sweet! Love he zero fret, attention to detail!!! How do you like the new John Carling/John Birch pickups?

purple dragon likes this.
  3. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

That is absolutely beautiful! I'm in awe, you really nailed it :bowdown:

When I think of what Tony was playing back when I became a Sabbath fan in '74, I think of the version you created. In fact, if I had a choice between owning the historically accurate distressed and cosmetically beaten up $20k Gibson Monkey reissue and yours, I'd go with yours. Of course, you'd need to have Tony sign the headstock first, but that's a minor detail :naughty:

purple dragon and Grizzlyman like this.
  4. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Thank you.i did not go fore John birch pickups because of the price and they are not that acurate replicas of the monkey pickups because the John birch text is square and stapt on both covers and not gravert like the orginale.and other things that is wrong AS well .also they are lower In Ohm that my stock pickups i got,so i either are gone freeze the magnets like John birch did or change them before i epoxy them up and call it the day.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  5. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Thank you,that is really Nice of you to say:bowdown: i did a use a lot of time looking on poor picures online to Get it AS acurate AS i coued and i think i have come real close how it was In this time frame.well i dont know if it woued be posseble to meet Tony to Get him to sign it AS he is not doing shown.its posseble if this corona virus goes down that i am going to cruft again next years that are being held In Birmingham,so perhaps its a way i can Get to meet him then and Get him to sign it fore me.

WytchCrypt and Grizzlyman like this.
  6. ChaseB

ChaseB Well-Known Member

So which model was this originally? Is there a build thread? Looks absolutely killer btw!

IMG_1417.JPG

7. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I belive gibson did confirm its a 64 special,but it got deeper Bevels that most stock sgs,no i am sorry i did not do that.thank you

8. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Seems awesome!!