Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Grizzlyman, May 16, 2020.
Oh yeah, forgot to say heat gun has been ordered from eBay, just waiting for it to arrive...
You made a plan, you followed though, results seem good. How can one be anything but impressed? Good show!
Ah cheers man!!
Sounds like a good plan. You should be able to achieve what you're looking for much easier with a heat gun. Have you sorted out the cross inlays on the neck yet? Last I remember the machine shop told you they didn't think they could do pieces that small.
Thanks Wytch! Yeah hopefully I can get the finish to blister without coming off with the heat gun. My idea is to heat up an area that I’m going to strip completely and see if it can bubble up without all coming off, then if it works I can use that technique on the part of the guitar below where the bridge is.
The cross inlays are still a point of contention for me. I’m actually liking the fingerboard on there more as I go through this project. And my mind keeps thinking along the lines of ‘unless you’re gonna change the headstock to look like a Jaydee then everyone will see it’s really an Epiphone so what’s the point trying to make it look exactly like the Jaydee...’ and also I’m of half a mind to celebrate the fact that it is ‘only’ an Epiphone by leaving the neck and fingerboard alone...
I wouldn’t want to end up with a guitar that played better before I messed with it so I’m not 100% decided on what to do with the neck. If I leave it alone it’ll be a proper Epiphone Old Boy relic!
Little bit more progress today, that horn was tricky with all the small bits!
Masking up the back, big thanks to SG Lou’s invaluable thread for the paint pattern!
Today’s progress... the top horn was tricky!!!
That's definitely a concern once you start messing with the neck. It would be a shame to spend the time making it "look" like Old Boy but "play" like a pawn shop disaster! I vote for leaving the neck as-is, then as you say you'll create a one-of-a-kind custom Epi Old Boy
That is some stellar and dedicated work there, nice! I wouldn't be concerned about the headstock. It's an Epi, so what? Nothing wrong with having an Epi Iommi tribute guitar, it's not as if you're trying to palm it off as the real thing. An Epi you made look like his guitar, I think that's cool.
Go for the neck if you think it's a fun project, otherwise, who cares, guitar will still look cool. I changed bindings and fretboard on "just an Epi" because guess what? I like it and that's how I want it.
Tired of the Epi/vs Gib bs, drivel. Wood is wood.
Haha, yeah I’ve played pawn shop disasters before!! Definitely don’t want to end up there! A one of a kind Epi Old Boy Relic does have a certain ring to it!
Ah thanks so much Von Trapp! I’m really pleased with how it’s working out so far, I hope I can keep this standard up! I couldn’t agree more about the Gibson vs Epi argument. Simple truth is I’ve played enough of both brands to know that sometimes you get a great guitar and sometimes not so much, regardless of the brand! TBH I’m no brand snob anyway. I usually buy my instruments used, and a lot of them are ‘budget’ instruments, Yamaha Pacifica, Schecter Diamond Series, Epiphone, Vintage, SUB, etc. I’ll use and switch between expensive and cheaper instruments mid gig without a thought. Once I’ve set them up to my liking they all play pretty much the same anyway!
OK, so progress has been a bit slow lately, the weather has been crap so not had time to get outside to do some sanding until today. I did get the chance to get the heat gun and try to blister up the finish... it seems to have worked!!!
Now finer sanding required, then a slight red/brown stain, then hardware to go on!
So that's what happens when you attack an SG with a heat gun
Yep, it gets a heat rash!
Great work cant wait to you are finish.if you dont want to change the fretboard you can keep the it AS is and just add decal stickers to Get a full cross inlay.but one thing you shoued do is fill the bridge and stoptail holes and drill a new one and use the 456 you got on it.it woued be perfekt on this projekt.
Couple of new pics. Masking tape is now off and I’m just trying to blend things using very fine grit sandpaper. It’s not easy.
Never done this before, I got 3 10ml tester pots from eBay, dark cherry, mahogany and teak, basically cherry, brown and dark brown.
I wasn’t really sure how to apply it. First of all I used paper towels to kind of wipe it on. The effect was waaaay too subtle.
So then I proceeded to squirt the stuff on and leave kind of puddles of it on there and allow it to dry naturally as much as possible then mopped/wiped up the rest.
This was post squirt - pre wipe!!!
And here’s the post-wipe pic...
I’m not happy with my sanding on the back, so will be revisiting that job!
Not sure if the overall effect is too subtle. I could keep going and see how far I can get before going too far, but therein lies the danger.
It looks more like the Jaydee Old Boy Relic rather than the original to me, but then I’m not sure what I can do to get any closer...
On second thoughts I might just re-do tomorrow what I did today and leave it on there for longer... just got enough stain left...
Separate names with a comma.