Epiphone Korina Explorer needs pickups. Looking for input.

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Chuteboxehero, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I've had this one going on a couple of years now and while I love the neck and low action, I don't love the pickups. I'm thinking something PAF in nature and not wound too hot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

What do you feel is wrong with the ones it has?

3. Chuteboxehero

The neck pickup doesn't fatten up like it should. Kinda gets farty. The bridge is getting microphonic and likes to squeal. I've adjusted them up and down. I don't want to try to pot the bridge pickup.

A while back I swapped a set of 496R 500T's into a mid 90s Epi LP and that guitar sounds incredible now. I was thinking a set of something a little more mellow for this one would be awesome.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

How low did you go for the neck. Did you try ring level or even lower ? Farty sounds like too close to the strings to me. If they are the original pups, they are Alnico Classics ? I have them in my LP Ultra and they sound great to me. The bridge is a bit microphonic, I thought it was because of the body being heavily chambered. I don't play loud high gain, so I manage.

Here's what they sound like (it's not me).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  5. Chuteboxehero

Those sound much better. I think the Explorer is an '05. So it should have the same Alnico Classics? That LP sounds much better. I'll have to pull one and see what's in there. As far as neck pickup height I've had it about equal to the ring. If I could get it to clean up a bit I wouldn't be opposed to leaving it and replacing the bridge pickup.

6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Gotcha, yea fck it then. The combo you mentioned or 498/490 kicks ass. I'm particularly impressed by the great unmuddy sound from the 490 Neck.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/Explorer.php#1958_Korina_Explorer

8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I have a Epi Korina V and had the same experience as you, really love the feel a playability of it but couldn't bond with the pickups. They are indeed the Alnico Classic and Classis Plus pickups (57CH and HOTCH) and I found both were just too hot for me. The bridge is like 13.5K and the neck is 8.5K. I usually prefer around 8.5 for the bridge and 7.5 in the neck. If a neck pickup is much more than that it can be muddy/farty IME.

I did like the basic tone of the neck pickup though, so I swapped it into the bridge position and got another inexpensive PAF style for the neck that was lower output. It sounds great now, exactly what I was looking for. Another good trick for a neck pickup that is overly muddy is to wire it in parallel rather than series.

Good luck, I hope you find a combination that works for you.

9. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

Genius post, I say swap that neck pickup to the bridge and see what you think. If you like it find a used neck pup to replace it. Or find some used burst buckers to swap in, or the 490s