Epiphone Launches "Inspired By Gibson" Collections

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by DrBGood, Jan 11, 2020.

1. DaveSG

DaveSG Member

Not that it is Lefty Fretz's fault, but I do remember a few years back they hosted a pamphlet showing a slew of lefty Gibsons, only for Gibson to decide not to release lefties that year.

As a lefty myself, I'm going to believe it when I see it. I hope they realize the demand.

pedecamp, DanB and Bettyboo like this.
  2. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers New Member

I really want to try one. Maybe if I ever see a deal on one of the LP Customs I’ll get one of those, since the Gibsons are stupid money.

3. Jason

Jason Member

I remember that! I think it was the 2015 lineup

4. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. I'm changing the Chrome to Nickel on my SG Special - just nicer.

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

OMG ..... :facepalm: :(

Those Epiclone are ... strange .....

Temp 4023.jpg

Relic61, musicman2242 and pancake81 like this.
  6. DanB

DanB Active Member

I agree Dave about Leftyfretz,sometimes they jump the gun on left handed models, particularly from the Epiphone and Gibson lines. Still they are at least a good place to get started on looking for new lefty models. I abree,though, I'll believe it when I see left handed models on the Gibson/Epiphone site

7. papagayo

Epi should better stop with this awfull photoflame on top and back.

It' s not serious .

8. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

the clear knobs look cheap and ugly. My own opinion of course

9. pancake81

for those of us that dint know, what’s photo flame? I am imagining a veneer that has flame that is not representative of the actual wood? Somewhat on target...?

Astral Traveler likes this.
  10. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Almost but it's not veneer, it's a thin photo film on top of the wood.

The Jaoanese were big on this in the late 80's-90's.

fender-foto-flame-strat-8107-bodyvert-1512x_orig.jpg

papagayo and pancake81 like this.
  11. pancake81

wow, can’t believe I haven’t heard of it. Excuse me as I crawl out from this rock.

that is actually kind of upsetting to me. I hate to be dupped. I am fine with a plain solid wood guitar, or a veneer to add sexy appeal. But a photo film to inspire guitarist and wood enthusiast that doesn’t even exist. Common.

the veneer is as low as one should stoop to show/have that beautiful grain. YMMV

Astral Traveler likes this.
  12. Astral Traveler

I think it depends on how it's presented. The Japanese never tried to cover the fact that they were photo flames, they even marketed them as such. The audience who are listening and watching won't know the difference anyway ;)

13. papagayo

Photoflame on the top and on the back too. Not very sexy IMHO.

Temp 4025.jpg

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Epiphone never used photoflame on any guitars, but Epi haters love promoting that they do. Those trolls want YOU to adhere to their conspiracy theory, hate Epiphone too and promote the lies. This is the era of fake news, remember ?

Photoflame is a plastic film, a bit like what you can see on commercial vehicles. It looks like a super expensive custom paint job, but it's a sticker.

[​IMG]

It can be stretched to any shape. It was even used on necks ! On guitars using photoflame, get two of the same production batch and they'll be identical, exact same grain pattern. It's a sticker, so they won't make a different sticker for each guitar.

Now ... if Epiphone was using photoflame, don't you think they would stretch it so we wouldn't see a straight cut between it and the body wood ? Epiphone uses veneer on most guitars that shows wood grain, but it is still wood. The one they use is too thick to be bent at angles and it would be too labour extensive to do so, thus a clear mark between veneer and bevels on a SG. Wood veneers date back as far as 3,000 BC in Egypt.

This is veneer too.

[​IMG]
    So where is the shame of having a beautiful guitar with a thinner wood than it's most expensive sister ? Les haters be haters and enjoy your Epiphone.

Norton and Astral Traveler like this.
  15. Astral Traveler

Indeed.

I would like to extend it though and say: What's the shame of having a guitar you enjoy? Regardless of where, how or by whom it was made.

16. papagayo

Call this hideout misery photo venneer or what you want it' s AWFUL imho

[​IMG]

17. Bettyboo

You don't have to be an Epi-hater to be aware that their use of the term "veneer" is somewhat creative... Call it what you want, but it's a slither of something that looks fugly. Wood is under there, so let's see it.

If you see something negative in a guitar or brand that doesn't make you a hater.

My Gibson lightening bridge is crap. That doesn't make me a Gibson hater, it makes me disappointed that they didn't put on a better quality bridge. My Gibson finish is too thick, it doesn't make me a Gibson hater, it makes me disappointed that that Gibson didn't do a better job with the nitro.

Many Epiphones look really nice, not all - same with Gibson and any other brand...

I don't know if this is a photo-flame, wood or veneer, but it looks nice:
    Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 00.07.20.png

I don't know if this is a photo-flame, wood or veneer, but it looks terrible:
    Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 00.08.04.png

dub-setter likes this.
  18. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Maybe creative, but I have yet to see an Epiphone with photoflame on it.
    I didn't say that, but when every single post from a single member, regarding Epiphone, are just about pissing on the brand, I call him a hater.

dub-setter likes this.
  19. Bettyboo

Yes, he is boring. Gibsons are great guitars and some are shite, same with every brand. So many folks get happiness from Epiphones that he could accept that and let off with the "Gibson only" discourse.

Anyways, like you, I'm really looking forward to trying out these new Epiphone SGs.

I'm a bit worried that this little creature might get ballpark of my Gibson Special for US$1400 less:

Screenshot 2020-01-25 at 00.59.11.png

Indeed, it's half the price of a Gibson SG faded (second hand or NOS) and a third of the price of a Gibson SG Classic (second hand if you can find one); it's a simple guitar, so it could turn out to be a great bargain - I'm really looking forward to trying one out.

20. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Epiphone puts veneer on nearly all their guitars, solid color or translucent. I’m guessing this is to make finishing more uniform and to hide body billet joints.

The new sg’s look great. I’d like deeper horn carves, but damn these look good. Pretty much zero to complain about.

I’m not a fan of the ribbon mahogany veneer, but it’s not like you can’t get a solid color. “Problem” solved.

Plus, it’s not photo flame. Or even flame. It’s ribbon mahogany veneer.