Epiphone SG Special 1961 50th Anniversary P90

AlexEP

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was thinking to change the pups to my G400 Pro putting in a couple of P90 humbucker sized. During the search, I found this beautiful 2011 Limited Edition SG for the same prize of a couple of pups. This beauty is really light and it has an incredible sound. I'm very happy. 2 sg.jpg sg 1.jpg

Gahr

Reaction score
Those are nice guitars! I keep mine at work and use it for playing slide.

5gwwFrzh.jpg

dub-setter

Reaction score
if another sg would be up next for me (gas)
this would be one of my favourites ...

love that model!

AlexEP

Reaction score
You really need to love skinny necks, 'cause they are.
I have to say that I have no problems with necks: I've got different necks in different guitars and when I play a guitar I know that it has its own neck ;)

Epiphan

Reaction score
These are fantastic guitars and should be part of the normal Epi range IMO. Only 4 years to the 60th anniversary so it will be interesting to see what 'commemorative editions' come out then (assuming the present financial woes of the parent don't prove terminal).

Col Mustard

Reaction score
A white SG with P-90s and a wrapover bridge is what Pete Townshend used when he
played his best music IMHO.

It's pure rock an roll, so it's an excellent SG to own and play. In addition, I believe these
are very versatile and can be used to play just about any style. P-90 p'ups were invented
in like 1945, when the P-51 was one of the U.S. Army's top fighter aircraft...
P-51.jpg
So the fact that P-90 pickups are still current, and still in production, and their tone has never been replaced... that fact says worlds. Lots of great music has been played on guitars with
P-90 pickups. And a white SG equipped with them and a wrapover bridge gives a classic tone
that still sounds amazing fifty years after it was made popular.

Excellent choice! Welcome to ETSG.

NomeX

Reaction score
[GALLERY=media, 1959]Epiphone 61 Reissue by NomeX posted Apr 20, 2018 at 8:38 AM[/GALLERY]I wanted to try P90's and I too found a 61 G-400 SG guitar attached to my pickups. I started off with a Gibson Future Tribute. I loved the finish and neck so much until i got my 1966 Pro. Now I'm on the hunt for a 50's Tribute. I did happen to see a 1961 Epi 50th hit the GC used section and was contemplating buying it, but I already have my '61. I'm thinking really hard about putting a set of P-Rails on my Future tribute and moving the pups over to my '66 Epi Pro.

Saint Toad

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was thinking to change the pups to my G400 Pro putting in a couple of P90 humbucker sized. During the search, I found this beautiful 2011 Limited Edition SG for the same prize of a couple of pups. This beauty is really light and it has an incredible sound. I'm very happy. View attachment 30232 View attachment 30233

Very sweet looking guitars !

-st

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Woah, these look bloody awesome! I just checked out the Gibson models on eBay ....$11k

JESUSG

Reaction score
I just sold mine after owning it for a couple of weeks, nice guitar but the neck is a bit too skinny for me. I also preferred the sound and feel of my SG junior with the single P90.

Latest posts