Faded Gibson SG wax residue in grain

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JohnQ, Jul 11, 2012.

1. JohnQ

JohnQ New Member

Some time ago I hand buffed the finish with a non-silicone wax. There is white wax residue left in the grain of the finish. Before putting it in the case several months ago I went over it with a soft bristle toothbrush and a little bit of lemon oil. That seemed to take the wax residue off at the time.

However, the wax residue is still there. So at this point, is there something I can use to get rid of the wax or should I break out the sanding sponge and refinish with Tung Oil ( I have a can of Behr Pure Tung Oil) or some type of stain? Or stain and then seal with the Tung Oil?

Suggestions?

2. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Naptha. It won't remove the Nitro, but should remove the wax.

3. JohnQ

JohnQ New Member

Well, I decided to strip the entire guitar and refinish it. I used citri-strip to remove the original cherry finish, minwax woodsheen stain for the color and minwax satin brushing lacquer for the top coat(s). The grain shows through pretty nicely even though it's hard to tell in the picture.

This guitar had been sitting unplayed (and with no pickups) in the case since last November and I recently got the itch to play. Had someone generously give me a set of unbranded humbuckers he got from Ebay. The last set of pickups in this guitar was a pair of Sheptones and maybe I'll be able to swap something similar in not too far down the road. Only other thing I'll do is try to swap the knobs out for something different.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

there are probably plenty of guys on these boards who have spare p'ups sitting in cardboard boxes in their closets. I have several Chinese made Epiphone "Humbuckers" fr instance... howdja like a pair of those? *laughs... flaps wings, cheep cheep!

but it's good to see that you have revived your poor old mistreated SG. I hope you get it out and play it a lot. Then you'll know if you want to keep it around or sell it to someone around here who needs a project. Your refin looks fine from this distance, it isn't that hard on a faded, and I like the brown over the cherry any day. It's what I have. I'd say just get that baby a nice pro setup job, where they polish and level the frets, check the nut carefully and adjust the action, and see if it doesn't come alive in your hands like mine does.

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

oh and, Allparts sells knobs that go to 11... that's what you want for you SG IMHO.

Attached Files:

6. JohnQ

JohnQ New Member

Thanks for the offer on the pickups. Had a friend give me a spare set until I can decide on what to buy. I'm enjoying the guitar again. :thumb:

The refinish was easier than I thought it would be.