Faded / Tribute / Special / Junior ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by laza616, Jan 5, 2021.

1. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

YES Col Mustard does have one. AND his Awesome Walnut Faded like mine. I got mine because I found one at my favorite used guitar store despite originally taking home a Midtown Custom. The SG pulled me in as I abandoned it in favor of the prettier and more expensive Midtown. I wound up returning the Midtown to get the Faded instead.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding those details, CG

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. laza616

laza616 Member

So Tribute model is the game as Faded with maple neck?

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yes.
    They have been re-naming the SG Special Faded every few years lately.

SG Special Faded
    SG Faded
    SG Tribute

5. laza616

laza616 Member

Thanks!
    No wonder i have such a hockey from all these names. Complete NHL

6. Bbr6704

Bbr6704 New Member

Hey there,
    I have a 97 sg special with an ebony fretboard. My other guitar (a The Heritage h150 - Les Paul) has rose wood fret board. Aesthetics apart, I don't feel or heau any difference.

For the choice, don't stop on a specific model if you din't care that much about it : I rether invite you to go out a try SG guitars in your area : when I bought mine, I played some that sounded from awesome to meh. Some I loved playability, some I didn't (I didn't liked the 2015 neck shape when I tried one.

So my recomendation would be go, try and find the guitar you want! ;) (all the guitars you mentionned can be great ones)

7. VSG

VSG Member

Hello and welcome...I have a few guitars (not many) and they include a 2017 SG Faded (which has a maple neck that has some flame in it) and I prefer this guitar over my 2019 Les Paul Tribute. The neck on the 2017 SG Faded/Worn is one of the best necks I have ever played IN ALL OF MY MANY, MANY years of playing both semi-pro and hobby. I prefer to playt cleanly and do not use much distortion. If I used distortion I may have switch out the pickups (490 series) but as I perfer clean tones and twang they are fine as they are. The fretboard is real rosewood and plays smoothly. See pics. SG7b.jpg SG4thumb.jpg

laza616 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  8. Capthutch

Capthutch New Member

9. Capthutch

Capthutch New Member

As for sticky necks..living here in the ohio river valley and playing mostly southeast shows, I been using Preservation Polish from StewMac. This has no silicone additives an a wee bit goes a long way.
    Everyone has different body chemistry, so what works for me etc etc

10. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

LAZA,
    Sounds like you have much love for your standard except the sticky gloss neck. My only Gibson with gloss nitro is my 1995 SGI in my avatar. What I did to combat the sticky neck is use a piece of WELL WORN green scotchbrite kitchen pad. A new one will scratch it up too much. All you need is to dull the finish.
    I keep a dry microfiber cleaning cloth nearby and wipe the back of the neck most times I pick it up to play. I did this 13 years ago and not sticky since.
    With any special or faded you can change the pickups to what you like, but if your standard already has the pickups you like and a SG body, you already own your dream guitar. A little work on the back of the neck and you will never want to get rid of the one you love.

11. laza616

laza616 Member

I will try that Polish definitely, i hope it will be delivered in a next few days so i can try it. I dont wanna devalue the finish with scratching it up even though it could help
    I still consider buying Faded/tribute and maybe keeping Standard too, but 7guitars at home, 5 SGs, i might have some problem hahah

12. cerebral gasket

I had seven SG at one time, a mixture of models with Faded and Gloss finishes. Thinned the herd down to the three that I have now, all Gloss finishes. Two with rosewood boards and one with ebony board.

I could easily choose only one to keep, but having three allows me to have each one set up for different tunings.

13. laza616

laza616 Member

I have 4SGs and 2 acoustics.
    All SGs are in different tunnings. A fifth possible guitar would get probably one of those 4 tunnings as i dont use any other than these. Would you pick the one with ebony fretboard?

14. cerebral gasket

This one is a keeper.
    Has rosewood board.

[​IMG]

laza616 and No Talent like this.
  15. laza616

laza616 Member

What year is this Classic beauty?

16. cerebral gasket