Favorite English Words

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, May 22, 2020.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I love my native tongue. I have been fascinated by its richness and flexibility since I began to read, watch plays and listen to poets. Two adjectives that seem to be particularly useful of late are "mendacious" and "craven."Insensate" has has also been seen in many of my posts lately.
    A noun I've used lately is "milquetoast." Another, "Blatherskite" is so perfectly descriptive and apt. It is always in my verbal armory.
    What are some of your favorite English words?

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Not sure I have any real favourites, but I have noticed something about my use of English. In speech I use adjectives and adverbs quite frequently, but in writing I will always go back and excise them from the text (almost - I just noticed "real", but that can stay).

Biddlin likes this.
  3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Bollocks.

It has a wonderful, expressive sound, much like a good SG. It lends itself to a wide range of inflections and also can cover many different meanings, from the profound to the profane.

Apart from that, I generally like words other people readily understand. Isn't that the point?

IIRC, Dennis Potter's favourite English word was 'elbow'. I'm guessing he liked it because of the way it sounds, rather than because he though someone might be impressed that he knew it, let alone knew how to use it.

voodoomin and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. donepearce

Bollocks - an English word with opposing meanings. On its own it can be an expression saying something is nonsense. Or you can say it when something has gone wrong. But put the word THE in front of it, and suddenly it means great. If something is the bollocks, it's going well.

Grizzlyman, Didds and Biddlin like this.
  5. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

As a young Australian, unfortunately most of my favourite words aren't allowed on this forum. Expletives aside though, I'm pretty fond of "Numpty" which is a piece of Scottish slang that my Dad taught me. My understanding is that it's pretty much interchangeable with "Idiot"

SG John, Biddlin and Piper68Special like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Never mind THE bollocks.

SG standard likes this.
  7. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

i've been watching British television recently and noticed the use of the word "tosser". Now that I understand what it means, that may be my new favorite word.

Grizzlyman, donepearce and Biddlin like this.
  8. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Active Member

"Blatherskite" is a fine word, which I first came across reading one of your posts a couple of years ago. Good name for a band? Whatever.....

I was then prompted to do two things:

First, I did some research to find out exactly what it means. Ok fine..... My enquiries also informed me that it is an Olde English word, probably originating somewhere in the North of England and nowadays very rarely used in the UK. Maybe the word made it accross the pond in the "Mayflower", maybe later.... Who knows? Who cares?

Then the second thing I did was both to acknowledge, then come to terms with the fact that... I am one!

Biddlin likes this.
  9. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Active Member

Here's a favourite English phrase you might be familiar with Donny Boy..."Gurgle gurgle MLP Ban Hammer!" Remember that one? We are going to hammer in some good Grammar into Donny Boy!

10. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

I lived in Aberdeen, Scotland for a total of nearly 14 years. "Numpty" is more Glaswegian than Aberdonian but it's still widely used. "Bampot" means much the same thing.

Sassenach, by the way, means lowland Scot, not English. The English are referred to as guffs.

Didds and Biddlin like this.
  11. ChubbyFingers

Blatherskite - my wife certainly is.

I tell her she should get a job on daytime TV on one of those shows where a handful of "celebrity" women sit at a table in front an audience and blatherskite away non stop for a whole hour. I often wonder if any of them even hear what the others are saying!

Biddlin likes this.
  12. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I like bellend
    Or bell end
    However you prefer

13. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

You've really got to know the context of this thread when reading that...

ChubbyFingers and Grizzlyman like this.
  14. ChubbyFingers

BTW did you know dumbledore is a somewhat arcane Southwest word for bumble bee?

15. ChubbyFingers

Just don't go into a biker bar, unless it's that kind of biker bar, and announce that ;-)

Grizzlyman likes this.
  16. ChubbyFingers

Call someone an onanist. It'll have them baffled for days.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  17. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

The blue oyster! :D

18. donepearce

Onanism (according to the biblical source) is not remotely what it means today.

19. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

That would make sense. He's from a town just a bit out of Glasgow

20. ChubbyFingers

Me?

I really love a good one of these.

Merit badges for anyone who can decipher it (no Brits or Irish allowed)

The general synopsis at 1800
    Low 225 miles west of Bailey 989 expected Iceland 999 by 1800 Wednesday. High German Bight 1026 expected Baltic 1028 by same time
    The area forecasts for the next 24 hours
    Viking
    Southerly 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times, decreasing 3 later. Moderate, occasionally slight. Mainly fair. Good.
    North Utsire
    Southerly 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times, decreasing 3 later. Moderate, occasionally slight. Mainly fair. Good.
    South Utsire
    Variable 2 to 4. Slight, occasionally smooth. Fair. Good, occasionally moderate.
    Forties
    Southeast 3 to 5. Slight, occasionally moderate. Fair. Good.
    Cromarty
    Southeast becoming cyclonic, 3 to 5, occasionally 6 at first. Smooth or slight, occasionally moderate at first. Mainly fair. Good, occasionally moderate.
    Forth
    Southeast becoming cyclonic, 3 to 5. Smooth or slight. Mainly fair. Good, occasionally moderate.
    Tyne
    Southeast 3 to 5. Mainly slight. Fair. Good.
    Dogger
    Southeast 3 to 5. Mainly slight. Fair. Good.
    Fisher
    Variable 2 to 4. Smooth or slight. Fair. Good, occasionally moderate.
    German Bight
    In north, variable 2 to 4. In south, easterly or southeasterly, 3 to 5. Smooth or slight. Fair. Good.
    Humber
    East or southeast, 3 to 5. Smooth or slight. Fair. Good.
    Thames
    East or northeast, 3 to 5. Smooth or slight. Fair. Good.
    Dover
    East or northeast, 3 to 5. Smooth or slight. Fair. Good.
    Wight
    East or northeast, 3 to 5. Slight or moderate. Fair. Good.
    Portland
    East or northeast, 3 to 5. Slight or moderate. Fair. Good.
    Plymouth
    East or northeast, 3 to 5. Slight or moderate, becoming rough for a time in west. Fair. Good.
    Biscay
    Northeasterly becoming cyclonic, 2 to 4, occasionally 5 later in south. Moderate, becoming rough for a time in northwest. Thundery showers in south. Good, occasionally poor in south.
    Trafalgar
    Cyclonic 3 to 5 in southeast , otherwise northerly 4 to 6. Moderate or rough. Mainly fair. Good, occasionally poor.
    FitzRoy
    In southeast, northerly 4 to 6. In northwest, variable 2 to 4, becoming northerly 3 to 5. In southeast, moderate or rough. in northwest, rough, occasionally moderate. In southeast, mainly fair. In northwest, occasional rain, fog patches. In southeast, good, occasionally poor. In northwest, moderate or good, occasionally very poor.
    Sole
    Variable 2 to 4, becoming northerly 3 to 5. Rough, occasionally moderate. Occasional rain, fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.
    Lundy
    Variable becoming mainly north, 2 to 4. Slight or moderate. Fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.
    Fastnet
    Variable becoming mainly north, 2 to 4. Rough in southwest, otherwise slight or moderate. Fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.
    Irish Sea
    Southeast veering north, 3 to 5. Smooth or slight, occasionally moderate at first in far south and far north. Fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.
    Shannon
    Southwest 4 to 6, becoming variable 2 to 4. Very rough at first in far northwest, otherwise rough, becoming moderate later. Occasional rain. Moderate or good.
    Rockall
    Southerly 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in northwest, decreasing 3 or 4 later. Rough or very rough, becoming moderate later. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.
    Malin
    South 4 to 6, becoming variable 2 to 4 later. Rough, becoming moderate later. Occasional rain until later. Good, occasionally poor.
    Hebrides
    South 5 to 7, veering southwest 4 or 5 later. Rough or very rough, becoming moderate later in south. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.
    Bailey
    South 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first, veering southwest 4 or 5 later. Rough or very rough, becoming moderate later in south. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.
    Fair Isle
    South 4 to 6, becoming variable 2 to 4 later. Rough in northwest, slight or moderate in southeast. Occasional rain until later. Moderate or good, occasionally poor until later.
    Faeroes
    Southeasterly veering southwesterly, 5 to 7. Rough or very rough. Rain or showers. Good, occasionally poor.
    Southeast Iceland
    Southeasterly veering southwesterly, 5 to 7. Rough or very rough. Rain or showers. Good, occasionally poor.
    Gale warnings
    Sea area gale warnings issued by the Met Office, on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, at 00:15 (UTC+1) on Wed 24 Jun 2020
    Rockall, issued: 10:47 on Tue 23 Jun 2020
    Southerly gale force 8 expected soon
    Bailey, issued: 10:47 on Tue 23 Jun 2020
    Southerly gale force 8 expected soon

Bad Penguin likes this.