Favorite Wah pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Tenafly Viper, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

As always Dorian, an excellent clarification! O0 I've always heard my TDK inductor wah's as being low on the wah foodchain list! The wima caps were always seemingly high quality too for what they were. The same " secrets " definitely carry over to the best PAF pickups IMHO .. which I've always thought .. follow me on this, the "impurities " within the raw stock causing an " Happy Accident " within the manufacturing process
    And again, Thanks D :)

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Thanks Dorian! Very interesting ideas and uses of magnets for altering the inductor.
    If I'm not mistaken the original PCB in my Crybaby had a TDK box-like inductor.
    There seems to be quite a bit of range of opinion on the inductor and which are "higher on the food chain".

Laney, I appreciate the info on the optical volume pedals.

3. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Wow, you guys sure ANALize everything.
    Dorian, that is a fantastic writeup you did and your experimentation causes me to want to do the same.
    I would never have thought to do this. I have the Buddha and the Fasel version CryBaby that I may try it on.
    What I do not like is the whoosh noise when working the pedal. That part was totally eliminated with the FBV shortboard on the Line6 interpretation of the Clyde McCoy Wah. I heard the Morley Wah was smoother and didn't have the whoosh noise and I think was opto. The VOX 847 changes the sound and is almost like a treble booster to my ears and I cannot use it. It does have a nice sweep but the treble boost is just wrong in my opinion. Forget the Digitech Whammy...I sold it as a useless piece of crap!
    The one I use is a RMC2. The woosh noise is very little compared to the rest and I can adjust volume , sweep or the Q of the transistor.
    Here is a shot of the inside.
    [​IMG]

4. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

Yes, voxman, I think there were a lot of happy accidents in the components of old gear. For the "Fasel" inductors in old wah pedals, my guess is that the magnetic core material was not processed properly, but this is only a guess. My suspicion is that in the history of gear, there were many more sad accidents, too. Perhaps these are less memorable, presumably because they went extinct by musician's selections over the years. (That is, more of the bad junk went into the trash.)

Spunky, it sounds like your annoyance with the vox 847 is the same as mine. This is where the magnet really made a difference -- decreasing the trebly harshness. I have no idea what a magnet would do on top of the round inductor in the RMC2, if you want to try this. I would expect that you would need to tweak the other knobs on it to optimize the sound, though.

dbb, if you try the magnet trick on the inductor of your Crybaby, you might find differences with putting the magnet on the side, or one magnet on each opposing side. This is mostly guesswork, and results may be good, bad, or small. I'm curious to know what any of you find.

You don't really need neodymium-iron-boron magnets magnets, I suppose, but these are powerful and most likely to polarize the inductor cores. I'm not sure the best place to get little Nd-Fe-B magnets. Edmund scientific sells them:
    http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3054303
    but from this web page I cannot tell if they are coated, or much about them. You don't want uncoated Nd-Fe-B magnet because they corrode in humid air (but you could put epoxy around them with a little effort). Mine seem to be chrome plated.
    Scrounging for magnets might be quicker:
    http://www.ehow.com/way_5328488_buy-neodymium-iron-boron-magnets.html
    Also, I was recently at a meeting where the dorky "Hello, my name is..." badges were held on with little neodymium-iron-boron magnets, so maybe these can be found in more consumer products, too.

Completely off topic, I also experimented with these little magnets on top of guitar pickups. The magnetic pull on the strings was so strong that the strings bent visibly closer to the pickup. There was a truly remarkable change in sound, but not for the better. The string had two vibrational frequencies -- one sideways and one towards the magnet. The combined sound of these two mismatched frequencies was really, really awful. (I think it is an extreme version of what you get when a regular pickup is too close to the string.) Not promising as a quest for PAF pickups. :)

5. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Dorian,

I went ahead and ordered a 40 pack of the .250 x .125. Total with shippning was $15.51.
    For that small amount of $$ it's totally worth is if I can get the VOX Wah to sound better and become usable. I guess I'll have a bunch o'magnets left over.

6. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

You could just switch to a Halo type inducter which is what the original wah's had. The inductor on the 847 is a Fasel Type and knowing the position of it and the amount of plastic around it, I'm not sire sticking a magnet on it is the thing, but hey give it a whirl. They sell Halo's under the name of whipple on ebay.

7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

It's just's not the same even thou they say so! I had all the remake pots made, one Day lo and behold I grab a new Icar outta a wrecked wah for pretty much a left nut but I had to have it and in those days you just worked harder for $ if you needed more, not anymore, anyway it was like night n day,now residing in one of my sticker models not pictured ,, the wah came alive .. but notwith the aftermarket ones

8. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I've been using the Teese RMC5 "Wizard Wah", and am pretty happy with it. It does what I need it to do.

I have a few broken Cry Babies that I'd like to experiment with someday.

9. Dorian

Dorian Active Member

Hi Spunky -- I'm pretty sure the magnets will change the properties of the inductor on your wah, but this is all rather unexplored territory. Even if you use several, I suppose you'll have some left over. These little magnets are big fun, though. They make great gifts for kids, and those of us who act like kids.

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Just send me PM's boyz...I'll send em to ya...

11. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Just got a used one of these:

http://www.snarlingdogs.com/products/swhino.html

It sounds pretty decent. It has a modern tdk style inductor. I still will probably switch it out. It has an led on the dogs eyes to let you know it is on. It has a volume control/boost which is very handy and quite significant. It has three different settings which basically changes the cap settings from deep to mid to bright. All of the settings are useful.

The newer ones don't have a volume pot but a switch to change between power settings. The newer ones also have two inductors apparently. Mine has a single one. The designer has some decent clips up on youtube. The thing is built like a tank with a couple of exceptions. The wah pot is basically what you see in 80% of the wah's out there and probably will need to be replaced. The pedal is a TBDT, so it sounded transparent to me. The inductor is not directly mounted on the circuit board, which is a nice feature, it'll make it easy to switch out if I end up doing that.

I'll take some pictures of the guts next week.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Tenafly Viper link=topic=19693.msg239854#msg239854 date=1253799663]
    Just got a used one of these:

http://www.snarlingdogs.com/products/swhino.html

The thing is built like a tank ....
    I'll take some pictures of the guts next week.
    [/quote]

Enjoy! I like the footprint pedal - reminds me of some old hot rod gas pedals.

13. dylumph

dylumph New Member

I've been using a Ernie Ball Wah for a few years now with success! It replaced a old cry baby that finally had to retire.
    A very reliable, easy pedal!