Fender and Epiphone...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Col Mustard, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

these guitars were bought about six years apart...
    But both of them are unique in their own way. I've been playing both of
    them a lot in the last eight months, and have really been enjoying each of
    their very cool voices.
    SnowWhite Caledonia@100.jpg
    Here is Snow White, a 2006 MIM Telecaster '72 Deluxe replica, sporting a pair
    of Fender Wide Range Humbuckers and wired just like a Les Paul... This one's pretty
    much stock, except for a new wiring harness with 500K alpha pots, installed by me
    and resulting in a much more toneful sound. I like this guitar more every time I play it.
    I have it set up for open tunings, and usually in open D or D7.

Next to her is Caledonia, a 2014 Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro that barely has the
    dew dried off before she fell into my hands and was modded with all black hardware,
    Black Tusq nut and an ebony pickguard. I've done nothing to the electronics, wanting
    to experience the P-90s as issued before I mess with it at all. Everything seems great
    right now, so I'm reluctant to rock the boat.

I have a wiring harness I built for my first SG that I could install with SOME shenanigans... shoving everything in through the F-hole...(let's have no Beavis/Butthead Style snickering)... But I'm liking the tone of the Chi-Com P-90 pickups even if that sounds like some kinda contradiction in terms.

I also have been enjoying each of their excellent actions, and each of their unique
    fretboards, pickup sets, similar weight (@~8 lb [3.63 Kilos])... but what knocks me
    out is how they visually compliment each other. Am I crazy? Is it just more OCD?
    I'd love to play a gig where I put them both side by side onstage. I haven't done that
    yet, being content to play them at home and take my old trusted warhorses on the road.

I have two SGs that I have NOT neglected... and I have an Epiphone Wilshire HH that
    has been too long in its case. So it seems like I have ENOUGH electric guitars and
    I've determined to work with what I have and not G.A.S. for something else again.

It wasn't until I set both of these excellent instruments side by side that I saw how
    well they go together, like positive and negative if you will. Then it kind of hit me like
    ye brickbat between ye eyebrows that some kind of aesthetic sense had led me to
    this place. I'm old enough to respect such things, and try to stand out of the way
    when one is working its magic. This picture shows magic I was unaware of, but which
    worked its way through me as it usually does. It never fails to amaze me.

This thread asks no questions, nor does it make any statement...
    unless it be that magic may sometimes touch our lives in ways we did
    not expect. ...oh, maybe one question:

Q: Who here has been touched by something they might not
    have consciously chosen, but which made sense when viewed from a
    slight distance?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    milesdeem, Misty and Kerry Brown like this.
  2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

For me that was my 1st, 2nd and 3rd SG.

Col Mustard likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I do this mosty every day in my work/passion for painting. Once I start on a piece, it kind of takes a life of it's own. Several times during the process, I step back to see if the magic is working. Then to look at it from someone else perspective, I have a mirror in the back of the studio where I can see in reverse, the painting I'm working on. It IS then someone else painting I'm looking at. This way, when I'm stuck, I can immediatly see what's wrong.

The most amazing thing is when, at a buyer's place, I see a painting I haven't seen in a long time, it's sometimes hard to believe I was the one who made it. I go close and look at the technique and wonder how was I so good on that one.

The mirror thing. If you have a hard time getting this and don't really believe in magic, get a small mirror and walk through your house looking at it through the mirror. You've NEVER been in THAT house before.

One of my latest.

[​IMG]

4. Col Mustard

very cool, Doc... Owl Strike?

5. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

man i want a 72 tele someday. there was a limited run of 72 style teles with p90s and binding that i would love to get my hands on - though i'd probably swap for a maple neck
    [​IMG]

my sg morte, after some modifications and a substantial number of gigs and practices, has really grown into my #1. i've generally preferred fender style guitars in terms of feel and looks, but this particular guitar is starting to fit like a well worn glove. and it sings like no other
    [​IMG]

Sweetums, gball, Col Mustard and 3 others like this.
  6. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

^ good picture although take the guitar away and...

They're rubbish! You want a 62... :D

[​IMG]

Very nice pair, Sir.

dbb likes this.
  7. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

if anyone can make me somewhat photogenic, it's Beth Austin - a local photographer that attends a lot of rock shows. she is amazingly talented and very kind. i could do a whole thread just from her pictures

that was a fun show (last sat.), but i was a leeeeetle bit too tipsy i think...:rolleyes:
    playing there again on friday and am going to lighten up on the booze

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  8. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

@Col Mustard are the wide range buckers the same size as a standard humbucker?
    How do you like them?

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It's a GREAT picture. Would have loved to have something like that when I was gigging. But in 1975, not many fans had cameras and even less knew how to use one.

zisme likes this.
  10. Col Mustard

Fender's "Wide Range Humbuckers" are NOT the same size as regular humbuckers, so they are not interchangeable.
    the route is bigger, and the mounts are different. I have heard that Rio Grande, Telenator, Bare Knuckle and Lollar
    will make replacements for these, but I don't care. I like the stock p'ups.

Here's a google search with info on these unique pickups.
    http://www.google.com/search?client...Range+Humbucker+replacement&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The originals in 1972 were designed by Seth Lover (the designer of the Humbucking Pickup for Gibson in the '50s).
    He was lured to work for Fender after Norlin took over Gibson at the end of the '60s. If you look at the Tele Deluxe, you
    can see that Fender was trying to invade Gibson territory and take market share. Both Gibson AND Fender tried some unusual
    and unsuccessful ideas in the Seventies, trying to grab market share from each other. Most of these fall into the category
    of Space Oddities, but the Telecaster Custom (with a neck Humbucker) and the Tele Deluxe with two...
    seem to have made a niche for themselves and are currently re-issued and in production.

Here's some more info if you (or anyone) is interested:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Telecaster_Deluxe

The re-issue "Wide Range" Humbuckers are nothing like the original Seth Lover design. But I really don't care about that
    either. Some guitarists do, and are willing to pay for someone to make them. What I did was to replace the MIM wiring harness.
    The Fender re-issue is stock with 250k pots, and these are really not the right parts IMHO. With 500K Alpha pots, my
    Tele has a unique voice all its own, which is why I like it.

That 'unique voice all its own" is the key to whether you want one of these guitars or not. If you are chasing the tone of
    a particular artist, or style, you won't catch it using one of these. You might cruise parallel to it, but different. For me, that
    is the appeal. If you're trying to make a style of your own, something like this is useful IMHO. I can't play like some of these
    other guys anyway, so I don't even try. I just do the best I can trying to play like me. *laughs

Anyway, through my equipment, the Tele Deluxe has lots of great tones from deep lows to sparkly highs, great growl and an
    excellent jangle. It doesn't sound like any Gibson, and it doesn't sound like a Tele with that distinctive bridge p'up.
    That's why I wanted one as soon as I saw it.

And I really love the maple neck, which also has a feel and shape like no other. It took me a while to get used to
    it, and rubbing down the polyurethane finish on the back of the neck with a green kitchen scrubbing pad really helped me
    get my paws moving on it.

zisme likes this.
  11. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

Those are two beautiful pieces Col., and I do see the appeal with them sitting side by side. Two Classics! I also like how they've been customized to fit YOU, and not a copy of someone else. That's what it's all about to me. If a person simply copies someone else, then it all just feels generic to me. The look, the sound, whatever it may be. It's ok for some I suppose, but when I see all this stuff about "I've tried 6 different sets of pickups, and it's still not what I need to sound like SRV" I ask "WHY"?! I have a guitar that sounds as close to SRV as I'll ever get, short of his ghost giving me years of training to do exactly what he did. But I don't wanna sound exactly like him. Add your own stickers, throw in your own licks, and be yourself!

Col Mustard likes this.
  12. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

thanks for the info! i had a feeling they were larger. hopefully i'll get the chance to try them sometime. i have a similar curiosity/slight gas for the cabronita teles

13. lineboat

Man, has anyone ever told you that you look like Stone Gossard standing there?!

zisme and JohnnyGoo like this.
  14. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

lol. well the band has always joked that we are rocking in the wrong decade...

15. Col Mustard

yes'n if you wanna sound like SRV, you gotta start by installing a set of 13s on yer strat.
    yes, he tuned a half step low, so they aren't as radical as that sounds. but even a half step low,
    those are some manly strings. I have 12s on my darn acoustics. I like SRV's music but I can't
    play like him.

I use tens on both the Fender and the Ephiphone above... I like 11s too but recently re-tried tens on the Epi and liked them.
    That's what came stock on it. For a while I had 11s on the Tele, but when I switched to tens the Tele seemed to behave better.
    Funny how that works. I figured the Fender liked a lighter gauge with its longer scale. I've heard other guitarists say
    this too. But the Epi ES-339 has the same scale as my other Epi and my Gibsons. They all seem happy with 11s.
    go figure.

Thanks for all the great comments on my pair of unique instruments. I am truly blessed.

lineboat likes this.
  16. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Just for reference, GFS has "wide-range" HB clones that are the same size as actual "wide-range" HB's....and also HB's that have the "wide-range" look, but will fit into a regular HB route. No info on how they sound though.

zisme likes this.
  17. lineboat

12s are what I use on acoustics. That's about all I want. I tried a set of 14s or 15s once, just to see. It took a good setting up, but that thing boomed like a cannon. And felt like barb wire. They didn't stay long, but man, they were great. I guess if I were a real man they'd still be there!

My LP came with 9s and feels great. I just finished the neck on my Tele and got it on, and used the same strings. It's a 24 3/4" conversion neck, and doesn't feel a damn bit like the LP. Feels like rubber bands in comparison, so it'll get 11s next round. I guess each have a taste of their own.

I didn't mean to derail. I like the looks of both of those Col.!