Fender Champion 100 Amp Not So Great With SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Neil from Ottawa Canada, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

My Strat, Gretsch, Yammy, and Tele all sound great through my Champ 100 but not my SG. The SG sounds wonderful through other amps. Any one have the same experience? While I'm at it, should add that some of the effects don't work on the gain channel ?

Any favourite settings on your Champ 100? I do love this amp...lightweight, big sound through the two 12's etc

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You have the footswitch for it ?

Sounds good with a LP here.

A humbucker SG will require different EQ settings than guitars with single coils.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

this ^^^^^^^^^. ...listen to the good doctor.
    SGs with humbuckers are a whole different animalt
    than guitars made by Fender or Gretsch. I don't
    know anything about Yamahas.

That's why we like to have them all. Each platform covers different tonal ground. ...and is useful for
    different songs.

I'm sure I could get an excellent sound out of my SG plugged into any Fender amp, including the Champ 100. Fender makes great amps.
    And I'm used to the tones of my SG, and I love those tones, and I have studied how to EQ them.

My suggestion: Get an EQ pedal. Keep your amp settings
    that you use for your Tele and Strat, Yamaha and Gretsch guitars. ...because you're used to those and it gives you what you want.
    Plug the Gibson into the pedal, and play with the controls until you've got a sound you like coming out of your amp.
    Then when you pick up the Gibson, stomp the pedal.

Westernrider and rotorhead like this.
  4. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I have the same amp and run a LP, SG and a Sheraton II through it. Each one take a few tweaks on the dials to bring out the sounds I want, individually.

It's a decent utility amp for whatever I plug into it.

5. Neil from Ottawa Canada

OP here...realized that the volume on my SG was down. Turned it up and a world of difference ! I do wish the amp had more wide-ranging tone controls but it's a keeper. One channel on clean, one on overdrive, pedal for metal.

rotorhead and DrBGood like this.
  6. DrBGood

:rofl:
    No sound from my amp ! Ooops ... reallized the guitar cable wasn't plugged in.

Anthony Scipilliti likes this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

8. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

It's like calling the IT department. "My computer is broken, it won't even boot up. What ? Is it plugged in? Of course it's plugged in! What sort of .... oh wait. Oh. Um, I think I'm good for now, thanks"

:smile:

Anthony Scipilliti likes this.
  9. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Agree, every Fender amp I ever had did the same thing. Using any front-end Gain-type pedals had to be run thru the CLEAN Channel or I was in Mud-City !

This is one reason I switched to Marshall and Vox Amps, Marshall's mostly ! The search for the elusive '59 Plexi-Lead at a non-stratospheric price is a tough go. The DSL 40's hav a Plexi channel(Green Channel 'IN' ) that is worthy of the name tho, even if its S E Asian Marshall, it has that Low End Wallop I've found in no other amp, (UK) Jubilee's get close.

10. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Still have to run Distortion Pedals thru the Clean channel tho, yes?

11. DrBGood

Not necessarely. You can run a mild OD in front of the voices and get really nice tones. There's no set rules on this.

It might be different than on my Super Champ XD, but on some voices, I dime the volume and adjust loudness with gain. The amp gets really touch sensitive that way.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Go Nigel Go likes this.
  12. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Exactly! There are no objective "facts" that govern the exact pedal placement in all cases. There are things that "typically give a desired result" concerning where in the signal chain you place your pedals, but what the "correct" order actually is depends on the desired results. You can follow the pedal order and input routing that gives you what you need, and the only problems will come if you have conflicting desires that can't be achieved with a single set of routing decisions. The wah can't be before and after the distortion pedal at the same time, where you place it will give very different results, but you can use whichever order works for you. Same goes for input and channel decisions.

13. SurfNTurf

SurfNTurf New Member

I bought the Champion 40 so I didn’t have to cart my valve head and cabinet about all the time for practice. Now I’m thinking about getting the 100 instead, I’m *that* pleased with the sound but could do with a bit more volume. ANYWAY, I will say this - my strat and and SG Junior sound FANTASTIC through it, in both clean and overdrive channels. Jaguar sounds good through the clean, but the same settings on overdrive channel that make the other guitars shine, sound tonally flat and weak. Jazzmaster sounds weak and woolly in both channels on the same settings. However my Dano DC59 sounds like a MONSTER. It just shows, even though all those pick-ups are single coils, the difference in tones is wide.
    I can make them all sound good with a bit of dialling in - I just wanted to compare every guitar I have with the same settings to see what the differences were.

14. Velhotedocarmo

Velhotedocarmo New Member

I'm using a Champion 100 with my SG 61' Vibrola and the channel 1 sounds killer!

15. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

This could open up an entire new world of sound. Many folk never get around to using their volume and tone controls. When I bought my first two pickup Gibson - a two pick up ES- 125 / really wish I still had that guitar, which must have been around 1910 or so, the store owner explained and demonstrated this to me.

Think about turning your SG volumes to about 7 and then adjusting you your amp for overall volume. tone, and an at the edge of break up sound. This will let you turn down a bit for nice cleans ...... and turn up for some nice crunch.

Try this. With the middle position selected and leave the neck volume and tone at ten and bridge volume at 10 and turn the bridge down about half way.

There are a couple of videos on YT that describe using the Gibson two volume / two tone control set up that might be helpful.

16. Neil from Ottawa Canada

I keep a folder with notes on misc settings that I find as I experiment with my 5 guitars and pedals. Can get Gretsch-like cleans from the 57s and coil split. Can get good o/d, up to metal with a Blues Driver. Searching for pristine cleans, SRV-like blues tone, AC/DC and Sabbath, and almost there for each. And if I get a gig I have the amp for it. Fun. I have learned now, that the volume should be at 2 or even higher !