Fender Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I'm shopping for a head. I was going to try to get a SCXD, but they are too expensive for my wallet. Some say the XD has a better presets, but you can tweak what you want with the X2.

I found a head locally for $300CND (±$230USD) and the guy would take a guitar in exchange. He said maybe an amp, so I offered the Micro Terror and/or the AD30VT and/or the Tonelab EX, but he declined, saying he finally really wanted a guitar in exchange.

Can't trade my Classic Vibe Strat, part of the reason I get the amp is for that one.
    Can't trade my Epi LP Special 1 with P90, it's too much fun.
    Can't trade my 61 reissue SG P90, it would be sacriligious.
    Can't trade my Vintage Epi SG with '57 Classics, I kind of just got it.
    Can't trade my Jay Turser JT50 Custom, it's a jewel, now with P94s.
    Can't trade my First act, it's not worth anything, except for its P90s Gibson pickup.

So ... what am I asking you ? Dunno. Maybe just thinking in writing ...

Maybe the Epi Vintage SG, but it has a repaired headstock, so not worth much.

Hmm ...

Anybody's got one for sale here ?

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Buy dbb's SG for 100.00 and trade him that! ;)
    The shipping to you might queer the deal though...........................

DrBGood likes this.
  3. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

I always keep my favorite pickups. I'll put other pickups that I don't like as well in a guitar, before trading it. Even if I trade the more expensive pickups. I even kept my favorite reverb tank, even though I don't currently own an amp, with spring reverb. I have owned two SCXD's, for 6 years, each. I haven't had so much as a scratchy POT. I hope that the MIM SCX2's, last as well.

[​IMG]

4. DrBGood

Don't throw me any bricks, but I'm even thinking trading my Black Heart HD 15W for it.

Ishhh ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Really.........

Any pics of this head your looking to trade a BH for???

6. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Ha I have two Bh HD 15's and I still wouldn't trade one for a X2 nope no way.If I did that bye bye epiphone
    you can always grab another epi cheap harder to Bh15's. OR I would just buy a new set of Tung SOL
    Tubes and a Joyo vintage drive or US dream pedal and ya might decide that amp will never
    leave. Besides reverb is for wussies! LOL

7. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Pay money, you cheap French Canadian bastard... You're an artist, Sir - you know the meaning of worth and quality.

The X2 is an excellent amp, but your geetars are nice 'uns, so don't sell any of 'em - just pay cash...

peejaybee, Sp8ctre and frankd like this.
  8. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Ha Betty !

Bettyboo likes this.
  9. DrBGood

Like your beloved Mustang, but with tubes.

[​IMG]

peejaybee and Sp8ctre like this.
  10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

AHHHH yes that....o.k.

Get dbb's SG and trade the guy (though a G400 for 100.00 is INSANE and I would just keep it) and buy the amp head lol

Or Buy the Champ and take a day or two to compair in home ----then selll the one ya dont love. ---thats it (hold on Frankd) what I did between the Panama and the Blackheart ........and the Panama is still here ;)

DrBGood likes this.
  11. DrBGood

Exactly what I'm thinking.
    One at $275 just escaped me I'm afraid, but there's another one for $300.

12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

tHATS THE WAY. ;)

YOu cant KNOW till you get them both side by side. ---that was my justification lol

13. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yeah but if you modded the black heart with a rectifier and few other tweaks it would melt
    the face of the panama which is a 51c champ with rectifier . Your my live guinnea pig for the panama
    is it going to last 5 years with daily playing like my black hearts ???? that's another question.
    Don't get me wrong I like that panama but the 51c is a completely different circuit than the black heart
    and the black heart was made with the extra space to modded I seen guys add a 12 ax7 pre amp
    and another el 84 to the blackhearts and they will melt anything in the 5-15 watt range.

14. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

15. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

As said take a bh5 add a choke and dual rectifier aka the mean 13 mod.
    http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/catalog/kits/blackheart/BH-01.htm
    Look at the room left on the original amp pic look at all the mods and still room
    that's what a lot don't understand these amps were built to last and be modded
    at will you just cant find anything else out there today like them so selling them to
    me is just dumb . sorry guys I gotta call it as I see it

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I love your LOVE of the BH frankd. The Panama has been getting daily workouts. ;)
    We will see about the longevity---the construction and build quality are parallel since I do not gig and the amp literally is NEVER moved from its spot.....those things are not really important.
    The Panama had the perfect tone for me right out of the box---no mods---no extra $$$ no time.....simple... 1 small Mooer reverb pedal and I am off to the races. Set the volume knob at 1:00 and Ic an run everything from blues and BB king to ZZ Top with a turn of the guitar volume......simple.

If it makes you feel any better its running into a BH 12" Speaker :)

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WELL....since we are being "dumb" I might also ad the sale of said Blackheart amp---- which needed "mods" to be as FUNCTIONAL as the Panama for MY needs (call in em as I see my friend) ---facilitated the purchase of THIS!
    black beauty.jpg

Which I truly LOVE more than both of the amps combined ;)
    Simple math really BH sells faster and for more $
    BH NEEDS $ spent ON IT to work right........
    No Brainer really ;) :cheers:

18. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I spent 120 bucks for my Bh15 I spent another 180 on a better out put transformer
    upgraded a few caps filters added a tone by pass and replace the 3 watt with a carling
    3 way so I have 4 bills in to but I have a one of a kind 5 watt amp that has lasted and is
    a bedroom amp monster there is still plenty of room to mod the amp more but it does what I want.
    I don't see a gain knob on a amp as necessary my Or 15 has gain but even in 7 watt mode it doesn't compare
    to what I get out of my bh5 and a od pedal. I think 12 inch speakers make a lot of difference over 8 and 10's
    especially quality speakers. I can tell you there is quite a bit of difference wether I have same amp thru a green back gh12 heritage or my other celestions. a pretty big difference. Speakers matter. I had a 15 watt real Marshal
    its gone the Bh amps are still here. Another thing that matters is tubes try switching to tung sol in your panama
    tubes matter. I bought both Bh15 handsome devils to mod haven't modded either yet with some good tubes
    they rock but I still may mod one to much closer to a 87 X If I spent 3-4 hundred doing so
    Im still 500 under what a 87 x would cost me. I got all my black hearts cheap but thats not why
    I bought them its value hard to find the kind of value they afford. I have no problem throwing a couple bills into them to make them even better if need be because you still cat beat the value if so.

19. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

O.K. seriously the "upgrade" for the Blackheart in the link you attached cost 269.00 !!!!!!!! FRANKD WTF man?!?!?!? And the "Mean 13 upgrade is almost 340.00?!?!
    I can get like 2 guitars and a solid state amp for that $$$$

The Panama COST ---brand new DELIVERED to my door 249.00 for the whole FOOKING AMP dude your comparing apples and Pumpkins.
    It doesnt need tubes---it doesnt NEED anything it fooking rocks outta the box.

And I am not sure why you think they will not be made anymore ----Crate is making tube amps of all flavors all day long every day so though it may come under another name .......you'll find Crate 5 watt tubers all over and how different "really" are the BH amps "made by Crate" and the CRATE amps????

[​IMG]

20. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Esg not calling ya dumb bro . I just know what ya had and its value and its hard to find that nowadays
    I think the blackhearts were and will be the last of their kind a great heavy duty tank amp
    made to last and be modded at will its the bigger picture that most don't understand about them but a handful
    have capitalized on if these amps weren't such a value and awesome as is or even better when modded
    to taste there wouldn't be all these mod kits available for them.