Fender Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Apr 1, 2016.

1. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

Frickin' beautiful. I want a 18watt clone someday.

frankd likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

They are supposedly about the same. Some say the presets are better on the XD. But since you can tweak them on the X2, I don't see the downside.

Thanks Sp8ctre, for coming back to my topic. I was about to go start a new fankdless thread.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

:wow: a thread in this forum went off topic?!?!? :facepalm:

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Sorry DR. I was just having some fun As I have more than touted in these boards Fender Fuse software is
    THE BEST VALUE IN MODELING AMPS OUT TODAY
    Fun
    Informative
    amazingly functional
    accurate
    Well designed
    easy to use
    like getting 1,500 tones and pedals all in one "buy" (and people contribute more of them every day---its endless)
    I could spend weeks just adjusting pedals and tones and tweaking levels

You have not allready bought the thing GO GET IT! You will not be disappointed.

The FUSE software allows you to do all the things frankd mentioned as upgrades with the click of a mouse---and for FREE

Sorry frankd but the Fender + Fuse gives the man endless tone variables the BH is a 1 trick pony in comparison

5. chicagoslim

chicagoslim Active Member

DrBGood, congratulations on the SCX2.

Here is my SCXD story:

I took an early retirement, and worked as a musician, for 14 years. During that time I fronted a rockabilly band, had a duo with a great female vocalist, played lead guitar for two Nashville singer/song writers, did studio work, played with my buddy's metal band, and gave private guitar lessons. When giving lessons, I always needed a couple of good sounding, portable amps. My buddy told me that he wanted to buy an Orange Crush 30R, and modify it like mine. I had upgraded to a Jensen speaker and Accutronix reverb tank. I told him, "You better checkout this SCXD that I've got, first."

In the mean time, he inherited a mid '60's Fender Princeton Reverb. This was an original, hand wired amp, that had sat in a closet, for the past 30 years. He ordered a new set of tubes, and brought the PR to my house, for a comparison. We both liked my SCXD, with EHX tubes and an Eminence Legend 105 speaker, better. He sold the Princeton Reverb, for $1300, and bought two SCXD's. I bought a second one, in Blonde. The two of us, have used these four amps, for almost seven years, without any problems. If one of mine breaks, I would run out, and replace it with a SCX2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    DrBGood likes this.
  6. DrBGood

Couldn't ask for a better testimony.
    I'm getting the amp tomorrow night. 1½ hour away. Wife agrees ... well she didn't comment.

eS.G. likes this.
  7. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Awhh come on Dr
    I never shot nobody I never killed no one aint done nuthin wrong just havin Fun,
    Fenders are great amps the last one I had a 220 R combo was great and never let me down
    had a built in od so you could grab and go with out pedals it was just very heavy and took up
    a lot of room but a good reliable amp . And I might even drive 3 hr round trip
    to get one if it was a 65 Princeton R or bandmaster .

DrBGood and eS.G. like this.
  8. DrBGood

Pulling your leg about starting another thread. But I was seriously waiting for the ramblings to end :h5:

Sp8ctre likes this.
  9. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well we were seriously waiting for you to join in !

eS.G. and DrBGood like this.
  10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

what he said ;)

11. DrBGood

I was actually away. I never saw the exchange until it was over.
    I know ... not an excuse.

12. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well your welcome to insult fling poo and muck about now if ya like lol

It was just frankd pointing out what an awesome deal my Panama is :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. DrBGood

[​IMG]

ivan H and eS.G. like this.
  14. DrBGood

Got it, this thing is full of warmth, in this stupidly cold minus friggin' 15 degrees this morning !

This a seriously good sounding Fender tube amp, presets notwithstanding. I now have a Micro Terror AND a VOX AD30VT for sale. I might keep the Handsome Devil a little more and I have a the same Vox at the summer place.

Once I learn how to record with the Super Champ & Fuse software, the Tonelab EX will probably have to go too.

I might build a bigger cab to the dimensions of the Fender head.

[​IMG]

eS.G. likes this.
  15. DrBGood

Just made a head craddle so it keeps it stable. Won't have to redesign a new cab then. This one sounds nice anyway.

Oops ... just realized I should take the front piece of wood out of there, if I want the ports to still do their work. DOH !

Edit - Done ...
    BTW the point is to get the four rubber feet under the head, to fit snugly against the wood on the outside corners of the craddle. It is fixed on the cabinet with tiny brad nails. It will leave needle holes at the most, if I decide to take it off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  16. DrBGood

Well ... so much for the Fuse application, it's more like a blown fuse from Fender. I should have read the forums before buying. The program does not recognise the amp and cruising the forums, I see it's a well documented problem, with no real solution. I run Windows10 on my PC and it looks like it's not supported. Luckily I kept an old laptop with XP on it, I might try that one. If it doesn't work, I might have to keep the Tonelab for recording.

17. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new amp DrB., even with the interface shortcoming. You have been on a tear lately.

You guys have me all horny for a Blackheart, but my next amps are probably going to be scratch build 1974x and a AA1164 PR.
    I cant decide which version of the 18watt though. I doubt I'll be able to fund them this year. Thats ok because I'm still really learning the tweeds I have.

Its hard to ignore those less expensive tube amps, esp. at used prices. I still think the lifespan is questionable, especially on the iron.

DrBGood likes this.
  18. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I am also running Windows 10, and it works okay. Now, I installed it when I was running Windows 7 still, so that may be the issue, but it works just fine for me.

19. Guilll

Guilll New Member

Great choice ! I used to have a SCXD, it was a great amp, especially the first channel. I think Fender instantly made all other modalisation amps obsolete when they released this thing (I had a AD30VT before that).

DrBGood likes this.
  20. DrBGood

Honeymoon is still going on. Lots of good tone to be had with this head. Clean channel loves my Boss DS1. Haven't tried the Tonelab on it yet. 1/3 of the voices I like with or without gain.

Effects aren't that great except for the delay/reverb position (knob at 12 o'clock).
    Still not able to connect via USB, but line out is pretty good for recording. It'd be nice to be able to get inside its head though.

eS.G. likes this.