Fender Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Apr 1, 2016.

1. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

If you were to find a Bh15 handsome devil like docs you can Mod it pretty darn close to a 74X
    and probably come out way cheaper than a 74X kit.
    Well congrats Doc sounds like you like it!

DrBGood likes this.
  2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Got the SCX2 combo at Xmas and it's been great so far. Haven't used Fuse as my browser doesn't support it.... GRRR. Wanted a little more depth from the speaker so I ordered a 10" 75 watt Warehouse Guitar Speaker and have some NIB NOS GE 6V6 GTA's I'm throwing in and rebiasing. Got a deal on the made in Kentucky speaker and I hear good things about them. It just came today and its one heavy speaker.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You know what ? I got a combo XD. $100 less than the X2 head. Couldn't not buy it, could I ? Yep another Super Champ. The X2 is so good, I figured I had to check all the ramblings about the XD being better. Well ... it is different, but I coudn't say better.

The 10" speaker sounds a little thin compared to the 1X12 I'm using with the X2 head. So I figured I'd try it with the Backheart 1X12. Sounds great, but it is a 16 ohms speaker, so the amp loses volume and tone. I'll try it with the old Vox 70/80 which is 8 ohms and then I suppose I will have to find a good 8 ohms 12". Any suggestion on a cheap solution. Maybe find another dead AD50VT, and canibalize that one too. I really like that Celestion 70/80 tone.

4. DrBGood

WOAH ! That combo sure sounds good with the Seventy 80 12" ! So I hunted down a Celestion G12T-100 8 Ohm from a Mustang III V2. $60 CND, that's like $19.99 USD.
    So I am building a cabinet for it. Width will match the Super Champ head and combo: 17.5" wide, 15" high, 12" deep. Pics to come tomorrow. My crappy back-up laptop doesn't want to read the camera's memory card.

Open back or portholes ? I already have a similar speaker in this cab, which have slot holes from an old Vox. Maybe I'll do the new one with open back.

[​IMG]

5. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I have a 4x12 with the G12 T 100
    better sounding speakers than I thought they would be
    I bought the cab with the intention of putting G12H anniversary or grennbacks
    But the Hot 100's are still there because they sound good enough.

Gibsg and DrBGood like this.
  6. DrBGood

I tried it with the cab closed, but had to add portholes. Sound was ... dunno ... not what I was expecting. Much better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I got creative with the jack plate. I had that ballast base lying in a metal parts box. The jack hole was exactly the right size, so why not ?

[​IMG]

7. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Doc, is that 3/4" plywood?
    How solid is that joinery?
    is it just 3 counter sunk screws?
    did you round over the edges with a router 1/4 round?
    If so, did it pull a lot of chips off the edges?

I am going to build a cab around an Eminence GB128 and dont feel like doing a finger jointed tolex / vinyl covered kinda deal. I'll save the more complex fancier cab work for combos and heads.

8. DrBGood

3/4" recycled plywood, corners glued and screwed, nothing fancy. Front baffle glued and brad nailed to 1X2 stoppers. Back pannel holds with 12 screws .
    Didn't have enough 3/4" plywood to build the whole cabinet, so I used 5/8" for front and back. Fine, no rattle. Bottom is actually 2 glued layers of that 5/8" ply. So 3 sides are 3/4".
    I miscalculeted the front pannel position, I would have wanted it recessed so there would be space for a grill in front of the speaker. Not a big deal since it won't be travelling.

9. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I gotta start dumpster diving again for materials.

DrBGood likes this.
  10. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

the 4-4X12 cabinets were salvaged plywood from a remodeling of a 5 & dime store... the cabinets themselves cost about $2 apiece for glue, screws & paint... i split the dimensions of a ampeg & marshall cab down the middle... the 8X10 marshall was free empty... i snagged 12 fender bassman speakers on ebay for $150 4 of which i'm sitting on...

DSCN2419 B.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Gibsg likes this.
  11. DrBGood

That's the way to go. You even had logos made with your name on it ... fancy !

12. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

Nice! First thing I noticed was the logo....
    How did you go about that?

13. DrBGood

I guess you have to Google Less Paul plastic logo :rofl:

Gibsg likes this.
  14. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

a gift from a guitarist/mechanic @ "paul chevrolet" ashland pa in the early 90's... they're out of business so it's one & done... a time when you would have to start me off with "there is a left & right button on a mouse"...

[​IMG]