Finally an SG owner again

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by fjrabon, Jul 28, 2017.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Hi, I'm from Georgia. I got my first SG when I was 17. I saved up for a year working at a crummy grocery store and bought a black 1997 SG standard. I had it for about 6 months when I cracked the headstock/neck joint. For the next 20 years I played guitar on and off, but never had an SG again, partly because I was just scared off after that experience, but I always loved the sound, weight, and feel. For a while I had a Gibson Les Paul Studio in wine red and a burgundy american standard strat. In law school I had to sell them both one time when I needed to take care of some bills that my loans wouldn't cover. For several years I just had a mixed parts stratocaster. Part of me always wanted to come back to the SG. Then I kind of drifted away from playing guitar. Being an attorney will do that to you. Then a few years ago I got out of law.

Back in february I got dedicated to really playing guitar again. I started practicing for at least an hour a day. I got one of my dream guitars, a sunburst 69 style thinline telecaster. But that SG itch was always there.

I had been jonesing for an SG for quite a while. Had played several and didn't bond with any of them. The new SG specials have the 490 series that I'm not a big fan of and the 2016s had those mini humbuckers that I hated. And the fadeds also had the 490s. I liked the 57 classic standards a good bit (though I actually don't like neck binding personally), but didn't want to pony up that kind of coin unless I got a crazy deal.

Then I found the Zebra ebony SG specials, and thought they were exactly what I was after. I preferred the color scheme but the big clincher was it comes with 57 classics, which are my favorite Humbuckers for an SG. However, they were $899 and I had just put $300 into upgrading my Tele. So the guitar fund was low. Then I sort of forgot about them for a bit.

So, a week ago I walk into Guitar Center to pick up some strings. And I see this used ebony zebra special sitting there. Apparently they didn't realize it was a special release that normally commands a $150 premium and had it priced used at $569. It was in absolute mint condition. It's a 2017 model that looks like it had never been played. Why it was sold back to GC instead of returned to AMS I have no clue.

She absolutely screams with classic Allman brothers tone. Have I mentioned that I love 57 classics (classic + in the bridge)? It really drives my Vox AC15 into a super growling territory. And when fed into a Marshall in a box pedal (Friedman BE OD) it's such a perfect classic rock tone. Clean it's defined but with a slight edge. It's not mudbucker but is different enough in tone from my Tele and Gretsch to be a welcomed addition to the guitarsenal.

Neck is lightning fast without making my hand cramp. The satin finish on the neck is brilliant. Fret access is unparalleled as you'd expect with a 24 fret SG. The fretboard was a bit dry, buta good oiling cured that right on up.

Light as a feather, as you'd expect. And I love the black with cream combo. Took some work to get intonation dead on, but it got there. After setting the action how I like (just slightly higher than average), setting the intonation, putting some nut sauce on her and new strings, she plays like an absolute dream.

After playing her for 30ish or so hours over the last week, she's for sure a keeper.

As obvious as it is, the fret access is a true game changer. I play this guitar differently than I play my Tele, strat or pro jet. Im normally the kind of player that never ventures above the 15th fret very much. With this 24 fret SG I'm drawn to notes I almost never play on my other guitars. And that was the real clincher, because it expands my horizons and approach.

Tone wise my Pro Jet can cover 75% of the tones that the SG covers, but it does have that 25% of pure classic rock that none of my other guitars can really touch. Cool thing is that all 4 of my guitars kind of have a place now. The strat has those in between tones and the famous neck tone that nothing else can really touch. The Tele has the Tele attitude that the strat can't come close to. The pro jet has the bigsby and that great Gretsch sound. The SG has that classic rock vibe that just oozes. It's interesting that each one makes me play a little bit differently. I think I sound like myself in each of them, but just different sides of my playing personality are emphasized.

Only downside is that the Pro Jet will likely get relegated to stay at home for most gigs, as I tend to be a two guitar kind of guy for live purposes.

will post some pics in a second.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  2. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Welcome. I was born in Toccoa, GA.

fjrabon likes this.
  4. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! You came back to guitar with a winner! :thumb:

fjrabon likes this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    Reminds me of the 1979 SG Exclusive.

6. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Nice story, and terrific guitars. The best to you.

7. kiko

kiko Active Member

Welcome!:cheers:

8. Paully

Paully Active Member

HNSGD ;-)
    Those Bugera V5's are great amps.
    Got one myself.