Finally found a 60" Leather strap

wiseman

Reaction score
I couldnt remember if it was on this forum or not but I was looking for some direction to a 60" .....3"-4" Strap. Everything seems to be from 53" to 56". Im 6' and thats just too short for me.
I found a 3 1/2" Levy's Padded leather strap , adjustable from 58 to 64" at Sweetwater. $46.99. I bought 2 and they came today. Very nice strap for under $50.
Part # M4GFXLBLK (Black)
Just wanted to share.

bwotw

Reaction score
Those Levy's straps are cool! I'm glad you found a long leather straps that suits you, it's not that easy :laugh2:

I had the same problem too: I'm 6.2 and like the guitar slung low (not crazy, crazy low, but just a bit). And I also like the slim leather straps as opposed to the wide ones, and I could never find one to suit me.

So... I made my own out of two old leather belts. It's, no doubt, my favourite strap.

IMGP2724.jpg

IMGP2735.jpg

IMGP2728.jpg

IMGP2733.jpg

IMGP2732.jpg

I've since done a couple more using belts (like this one) and I can't see me buying a guitar strap again ;)

tolm

Reaction score
Nice. I had a heck of a job finding straps long enough for my Firebird as even those which were long enough seemed very tricky to find in the UK. I ended up ordering a couple from Couch Guitar Straps and they're really smart:

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com

Heket

Reaction score
60"? Wow! I don't know exactly how long mine is but I do know I need to find a smaller one. Funnily enough I measured my height today and I am an inch shorter than I thought I was :(

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I have done leatherwork since I was a kid, learned from my Grampaw that was master leather carver, and have never made myself a strap!
60 inches would be a snap, hell, I can get 72 inch bridle straps!

One of these days I probably will, but I like straps that flex more than leather..but when I do, I have a few thousand pyramid and round spot studs, I am seriously tempted to JUDAS PRIEST that strap up!

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey Kris... I worked with leather as a kid and scout years ago and never thought of tooling one for myself. I did see some I tried the copy and ended up with...

and my favorite at the time....

Think I was into metal at the time. :dude:

SG John

Reaction score
Hmmm, I think I still have a few old primary chains kicking around. I was checking out the Levy's straps at Sweetwater. I'd like to check one out, but I think 64" is still too short if I want to use it for a Firebird, Flying V, or other odd shape guitar. The hunt is still on...

:fingersx:

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Get a chunk of leather from a craft store and you can craft your own to spec........ Never know what you will come up with. Not really that hard to develop a piece that will work for you and be a conversation piece at the same time.

SG John

Reaction score
We used to have some really good leather supply houses in the Fort Point area of Boston. The leather for some shirts, saddle bags, and other goodies came from there. Since that area has become gentrified, all the cool businesses are now gone. It would be fun to get into again. I still have a lot of my leather tools, and a heavy duty sewing machine stashed away downstairs. I haven't done any leather work since I broke up with my first wife in the early 90's. Maybe, it's time to scrape off some rust.

Latest posts