Finally found my perfect guitar: 2013 SGJ in Vintage Rubbed Burst

shamu1

Reaction score
Every guitar player looks for their holy grail guitar - one that is perfect in feel, playability, sound and looks. I've finally found mine:

IMAG0588.jpg

I've been GASing for this exact guitar ever since I first played one about a year ago, so much that I sold my 2014 cherry SGJ a couple of weeks ago and used the money to buy this one. Don't get me wrong, the 2014 is a great axe, but I prefer the warmer tone of the '13, the '13's neck feels a little better in my hands, and I could never warm up to the red finish on my '14.

This is literally the PERFECT guitar for me, in every way. The long, thick profiled neck (it is baseball bat thick, not at all the 60s profile Gibson advertised for this model) feels just right in my hands. The neck and body feels rock-solid and substantial, unlike the featherweight fly-swatter feel of the 2013 Standard. I can't put it down.

Tone-wise, it hits that sweet spot I've been looking for: a warm, hazy clean tone that is perfect for jazz. I know a lot of people don't like the 490 pickups, but I love them. The tone controls work great, and allow for that mid-range snarl SGs are known for, but also provide a deeper, warmer tone with a beefy low end.

In terms of looks, it's the perfect SG to my eyes. The dark, natural finish is stunning, plus with the open grain and pores in the wood, it looks like fine antique furniture when you polish it. I love the neck with the dot inlays and no binding, which is the way an SG should look in my opinion. The black closed pickup covers look modern and extremely cool, and fits the spare, simple elegance of this guitar. I'm impressed how Gibson managed to not just throw together an inexpensive guitar, but it looks like they put a lot of time and effort into the styling of this one. Everything looks well balanced and carefully thought out. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but to my eyes, it's perfection.

Bravo to Gibson on the SGJ!

Biddlin

Reaction score
:applause:I can't argue with a thing you said!:laugh2:
Congrats on that beautiful beast. From a geometric and ergonomic point of view, I think SGJs are perfect. Tone is subjective, but like you, I like the smooth, predictable response of 490s.
Now get ready for everyone to to tell you you need a pickguard.(Like a crow needs rollerskates!)
;>)/

shamu1

Reaction score
Congrats on that beautiful beast. From a geometric and ergonomic point of view, I think SGJs are perfect. Tone is subjective, but like you, I like the smooth, predictable response of 490s.
Now get ready for everyone to to tell you you need a pickguard.(Like a crow needs rollerskates!)
;>)/

Aw man, to me putting a pickguard on a natural wood finish like this would be like making a peanut butter and tartar sauce sandwich!

eS.G.

Reaction score
Congratulations enjoy that thing it is certainly a totally gorgeous guitar, love that color and couldn't agree more about the pickguard.
:-)

Kerry Brown

Reaction score
Love mine as well. You've captured the essence of it for me. Love the tone. Love the neck. Everything just feels right. Please don't succumb and put a pick guard on it. It looks perfect as is.

Attachments

• 2014-03-21 21.17.15.jpg
    2014-03-21 21.17.15.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 23

Biddlin

Reaction score
Let's show our wood, SGJ owner's.
biddlin-albums-sacramento-picture1631-p1010179.jpg

biddlin-albums-sacramento-picture1632-p1010180.jpg

Show it, proudly!:dude:
;>)/

Col Mustard

Reaction score
well, I'm glad that you've found the right one.

Having had this experience myself, I'm always wishing that others
can share the joy and the excitement... when you pick up a great
guitar that you really love. You perform better for some reason, your
practices go better, it doesn't seem like a chore to repeat things
you're working on. The guitar calls to you from its case or stand if
you neglect it too long. "Play me..."

and when you set it down finally, it's with the spoken or unspoken words
"What a great guitar."

so congratulations. I found my hands down fave guitar in 2008 without really
knowing what was happening to me. I tried to be cool about it... I do have
other guitars I play. A good parent is not supposed to play favorites.

But hey, I'm not a parent of these wild childs. I'm like a sultan and these
are all my babes in the hareem... And my 2007 Gibson SG faded Special is
still my fave, and it's almost 5 years later. may you have this joy.

Attachments

shamu1

Reaction score
And note that I said I've found my holy grail GUITAR, not my holy grail SG (although it is that too).

I've owned Strats, Telecasters, Les Pauls, Gretsches, Washburns, etc., and I have to say that this guitar beats them all. Not by a lot, but all of those other guitars, though great, had something that was missing for me. This SGJ nails everything I need in an electric guitar perfectly.

And yes, I'm looking at it right now sitting in its stand crying out to me, "Play me!"

Markm

Reaction score
Glad for you.
And I know the feeling, my SGs have kept music alive and inspire me to play everyday. Can't say that about the tons of other guitars I have had in the past.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
;>)/

>Like an eagle needs a parachute...

>I mean, it is the original design, and the Jay looks great with
a small pickguard on it, but... follow your heart with something
like this. I really like the look of the black pickup covers and the
black tuners. Not everybody did when these were new, and
Gibson has stopped making them this way. That just makes yours
look unique and cool IMHO.

> If I didn't like the TonePros tuners I have on my 2012 SG Special so well
or if I didn't like the Grover Vintage Keystones I installed on my 2007 SG Special so well, I'd be tempted to buy the black ones off someone who had
removed them from his SGJ, thinking something else would be better. But
my green ones work perfectly on both guitars, so I'm not swapping them.

>hmmm... maybe I should offer a trade

tolm

Reaction score
Nice! You sure get a lot of bang-for-your-buck with the various faded/satin/rubbed finish models they've done over the years and that stripped-back vibe suits the SG to a tee.

:thumb:

Oh, and you need a pickguard and a Bigsby. ;)

Crossroads

Reaction score
Gorgeous. Congrats.

While I love the finish, I gotta ask, does anyone know why they call finishes like these a "burst?"

dbb

Reaction score
Tone-wise, it hits that sweet spot I've been looking for: a warm, hazy clean tone that is perfect for jazz. I know a lot of people don't like the 490 pickups, but I love them. The tone controls work great, and allow for that mid-range snarl SGs are known for, but also provide a deeper, warmer tone with a beefy low end.

..... The black closed pickup covers look modern and extremely cool, and fits the spare, simple elegance of this guitar. I'm impressed how Gibson managed to not just throw together an inexpensive guitar, but it looks like they put a lot of time and effort into the styling of this one.

With all of the various reviews of the SGJ's, I will say that this would be the model I'd buy if I had extra money for a new guitar.

On top of it, shamu1 recommends the JAZZ tone! This is right up my alley.

Also, the "spare, simple elegance" has begun to appeal to me, as if Gibson realized that we should make a player's SG and put the money into tone and feel, not looks - and yet it winds up looking good in a sort of "Danish Modern" way.

Time to save my pennies.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Well, Dave, you're an excellent musician who's achieved a lot with
the gear you've chosen. A lot to be proud of. But when they mark these down so low, or when you see a good one used for even less...

I'm sure you could put one of these to good use. Not that you really need one, obviously you don't and do just fine with no unnecessary expenditures. I've seen studios where the engineer had a number of decent guitars around, ready for action if a performer shows up with a guitar that 'suddenly' has problem... or that's never been set up.

If you had a genuine new Gibson on the wall, you might get to save
someone's session by showing them how to get the sound they need on your SG. Sometimes you have to pounce.

shamu1

Reaction score
I'm using 11 gauge strings and a hard 3 mm. pick with this guitar, and it gets a great dry, hazy tone that I love for jazz. Obviously it has a great jazz tone on the neck pickup, but I usually play in middle position with both pickups, and I actually prefer the tone on this setting.

I'm no jazz guitar whiz (actually I'm a beginner to playing jazz guitar), but I'll say that I much prefer the tone on this guitar to the boomy sound I get from a hollow body guitar. It's a more responsive and controllable sound. The 490 pickups are perfect for jazz. I've tried playing jazz on my other SGs with 57 Classics and though they sound good, they're a bit too trebly and lack the warmth and smoothness that I'm looking for. This SGJ nails it.

dbb

Reaction score
Well, Dave,.....
I'm sure you could put one of these to good use. .......
If you had a genuine new Gibson on the wall, you might get to save
someone's session by showing them how to get the sound they need on your SG. Sometimes you have to pounce.

I'm not doing too many sessions where another guitarist may need an SG - it would be for me!

Yes, I may have to pounce as soon as I can.

I'm using 11 gauge strings and a hard 3 mm. pick with this guitar, and it gets a great dry, hazy tone that I love for jazz. Obviously it has a great jazz tone on the neck pickup, but I usually play in middle position with both pickups, and I actually prefer the tone on this setting.

I'm no jazz guitar whiz (actually I'm a beginner to playing jazz guitar), but I'll say that I much prefer the tone on this guitar to the boomy sound I get from a hollow body guitar. It's a more responsive and controllable sound. The 490 pickups are perfect for jazz. I've tried playing jazz on my other SGs with 57 Classics and though they sound good, they're a bit too trebly and lack the warmth and smoothness that I'm looking for. This SGJ nails it.

Well, I LOVE the fat "boom" of a nice hollowbody, I have a couple, but I also love playing jazz on an SG or Tele, because of what you say, the controllable sound...and I love my 57's for jazz - but I agree about playing jazz on an SG!

That's why Les Paul and others developed the solid body guitar in the first place, to even out the response of an archtop acoustic, and to increase string sustain a bit.

And, like you, I use the middle setting for a lot of playing, although I do love my neck pickup tone too. The middle setting is very versatile.

I just saw that Gibson released a Billy Gibbons model Les Paul, and there is no switch, it is wired permanently with both pickups on.

Latest posts