Finally got myself an SG!

antz

Reaction score
Finally!!!!!!!

Youll all know my paranoia over buying what I thought was a fake Epi SG which turned out to never turn up >:( Anyway cant fault eBay as I rang them to complain and three days later I had a full refund in my account.

With that in mind I went on the GAK website on Thursday night and ordered myself an Epi SG G400 Vintage in faded cherry. (Mainly because it was £80 cheaper than the normal G400).

Today a package arrived!!!!.

First thoughts are the faded cherry colour is gorgeous, love the chrome and the rather silly orange switch cap made me giggle ;D But after a quick play (it badly needs setting up so Im off to my local music shop tomorow) it plays really nice. Such a nice feel and low action compared to my previous Tanglewood Tempest guitar. I like the fact its not a fat heavy beast as thats the reason I cant get on with a LP. Too big and too heavy for me.

Only gripe is the usual neck heavy thing Fook me I didnt expect it to drop that much when I let go but oh well. Ill learn to hold the neck! ;D

Absolutely love the guitar. Even like the tone it makes as standard. Cant wait to get it set up properly and see whats its like then!

Anyway Ill shut up and post up some pics!
DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new baby!!! 8) 8) 8)

She's a beauty! You'll need to give us a full report...................... please?

antz

Reaction score
Got it setup by my local music shop today so had to have a good test drive! I thought it was brilliant yesterday but after getting a pro to set it all right Im impressed! Best £210 Ive ever spent!

Bear in mind ive only been playing 9 months so I still suck but I really love this guitar. Compared to my old Tanglewood tempest guitar its such better quality. This is actually the most expensive guitar and best quality guitar Ive ever played (no one lets me loose on theirs ha ha)

The action is nice. Not too low or too high.
Very well made (Id heard bad things about Epi standards). The colour is good, no dodgy poor cut pickguards or anything like that
Its nice and light so doesnt destroy your shoulder like a Les Paul
Tuners which actually hold tune!!!
I have rather small hands but I find the neck is fine. Not too fat or too thin and the frets arent too far apart (like thy are on my Tanglewood)
Pickups are fine. They give a nice tone when distorted or playing clean. I dont feel the urge to upgrade it like I did with my old guitar which was so weak I bought a new pickup within 3 weeks.

My only beef with the guitar is that damn neck drop when you let go of it.My Tanglewood dropped a bit but didnt point to the floor.

Basically compared to my old guitar....its Sso far ahead its lapped the old Tanglewood! I couldnt of spent my £210 on anything better.

Dead impressed 8)

TNT

Reaction score
Use a wide guitar strap (preferably leather) and the neck drop becomes a nonissue. ;)

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Ditto the wider strap and leather........... should help. Time and experience with it will also help. 8) 8) 8)

iblive

Reaction score
[quote author=Six String link=topic=19672.msg238572#msg238572 date=1251357059]
Ditto the wider strap and leather........... should help. Time and experience with it will also help.[/quote]

I also look at it as excercise... kinda like mowing the yard. You aughta see my left bicep. ;D

PS: I do have a nice leather strap and it does make a difference.

antz

Reaction score
A leather strap would help! At the moment Im using a nylon Ernie ball one but cant really be arsed to upgrade. spent all my money on the guitar.

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey, if finances are an issue, then make your own......... I made this one back in about 65 because somebody big had one.

StrapBelt.jpg

Still use it too............. :coolsmiley:

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
.......... oh, and not to make it a strap thread............ made this one too but it does tend to be a little heavy.........

Strapchain.jpg

But it does make the guitar feel lighter.............. ;D

antz

Reaction score
ha ah ha nice!!!!

need to find a long belt though....im tall and skinny so all my belts are long enough otherwise id be playing round my neck

old mark

Reaction score
First, great guitar - congratulations! I'm a long time player, but new to the SG's. I never liked them till I bought one. Now I'm starting to shop for #3. I can't think of a better guitar to make you want to play and learn more - they are very enjoyable to play.
On the old belt/strap: I bought a few old belts from a thrift shop for $1 each a few weeks ago just to make into guitar straps. I see I'm not the only cheap-o here. I cannot see spending big money on a strap when I could be saving up for my next guitar.

Good luck, antz. Enjoy it.

mark

suicidehummer

Reaction score
Looks like that has Nickel hardware. Epi's just started using Nickel hardware this year.

vinz

Reaction score
[quote author=Six String link=topic=19672.msg238600#msg238600 date=1251459375]
.......... oh, and not to make it a strap thread............ made this one too but it does tend to be a little heavy.........

Strapchain.jpg

But it does make the guitar feel lighter.............. ;D
[/quote]

Excellent ! Why not start a thread for "one of a kind" straps ?

Antz : congrats for that beautiful guitar ! Great buy.

antz

Reaction score
still loving it ;D only problem is the damn input keeps undoing itself and falling out which ive solved for now (big spanner!!!!!) 8)

Myxomatosis

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first SG. They sure are gorgeous guitars!

Personally, I'd recommend you use Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings, or any Ernie Ball strings for that matter- they have a beautiful ring to them.

Also, be warned that it may fall out of tune somewhat quicker as it ages, so be sure to look out for that. Anyway, these guitars are built very well, so don't pull any Pete Townshend's and you will be fine!

Well anyway as I said congratulations and hope you enjoy it, certainly an excellent guitar.

chutejoewilly

Reaction score
I just got this sg and don't know much about it. I traded it for some old speaker monitors. Can anyone tell me what model and/or year it is. Someone told me it was an sg standard. Any help would rule.
IMG_10821.jpg

IMG_10831.jpg

IMG_10861.jpg

suicidehummer

Reaction score
Korina G400. It's not solid Korina though, It's Mahogany with Korina veneers. It was a "Limited Edition" around '99 IIRC and differs from a standard G400 only in color, gold hardware, and Korina veneers.

TNT

Reaction score
You can do a search and find they were made in at least '98,'99, and 2001. One source claims that they may have been made 1998-2003.

Latest posts