Finally! NAD! Boss Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Raiyn, Feb 18, 2017.

1. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

Hey at least you didn't get six different packages for each of the strings!

2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

You guys just reminded me that I haven't given my Katana any love since the Mini Rec came home. Need to pull it out this week and play it for a while.

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Since it seem to have faded from your fancy, you should send it to me for the time being. I'll give it all the love that's needed and the day you realize you've missed it again. I'll just (...maybe) send it back.

gball likes this.
  4. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

IMG_0513.JPG

5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Interesting that Sweetwater is referring to it a a "COSM" amp. Boss themselves don't do that, and they are usually pretty happy to slap that logo on any of their products that use the COSM technology. It's not on the amp, in the manual or on the website and I don't think they used the COSM tech for the Katanas...I don't believe they composited specific amps for the models, just various types of amp sounds, which to my ears is dramatically better than the modelers that attempt to sound like something specific.

6. Scootermuppet

7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

See, in there they are calling it the "tube logic" technology, not COSM. That makes more sense.

8. Scootermuppet

Sounds like Sweetwater are a bit behind the times...

Guessing from comments on here our USA members might agree :smile:

9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Don't tempt them. I nearly went through that with Amazon ordering singles. Since when does a pack of strings and a dozen picks need separate 6x8x4 boxes replete with air packs?

Conversely, I'm about to light up Amazon for sending my new coily cable bagged in a bubble mailer. That ought to be in a box at least to protect the plugs. Oh well, this is why I paid a couple bucks for a two year replacement warranty......

Pretty sure Doc's place is the guitar Bermuda Triangle.......

[​IMG]
    :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy from them again. I'll just be sure it's a very common item that's in stock.:shock:

10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

So, now that the honeymoon is over, how is everyone still liking their Katana?

I still like it overall but I have definitely found the limits with it. Yes, to be expected for a "budget" amp. And I will be the first to say that it sounds amazing for what it is.

But...I have to admit I almost never use it. I have two very good tube amps in the same space and when I play I see little purpose in turning the Katana on since both of those amps sound and feel better.

I am going to keep it but I think it may end up in my office for the occasional noodle.

What say you?

dexspeed likes this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't have the luxury of having "big" amps so I'm still digging the Katana. It's serving my needs at the moment. It's size allows me to secure it safely away from the critters. The power levels help keep the peace in the house.

The only thing I'd like is more direct control over the effects while playing. I'm thinking about getting a multi-effects unit to that end. Probably a ME-80 or a GT-1.

12. DrBGood

Yikes, that's not a compliment to the biggest pedal maker's new amp. I buy your amp, but will put a pedal board in front of it.

But there is a solution ...

13. gball

gball Well-Known Member

It doesn't work with the K-50's unfortunately.

In truth, I don't think I personally would try to do any kind of rock gig with the Katana 50, which is what you would need the footswitch for. it is technically loud enough but it is definitely starting to show the strain trying to keep up with a drum kit. It also pretty much disappears against another guitar. I tried it once with the band just to see if it would work and the poor thing almost blew itself up - but did sound pretty damn good right up until it was absolutely dimed. It'd be great for a quieter performance application.

Raiyn likes this.
  14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

It's not against the amp or effects therein at all; they sound great. It's just not super convenient. I'd put a Boss Multi-effect in front only for the sake of dropping the delay or kicking in the O.D.

Unfortunately, that video is for the 100's. The 50 doesn't work with that pedal. It'd be nice to have a proper Line6-ish footboard, but it's a simple practice amp. A damn good one at that.

Agreed. I still love it. It's perfect for my needs, it's just that I'd like to have effect controls on the floor.

A 100 would be too much for my current situation. I use the 0.5 & 25 watt settings constantly and rarely push the 50. I'm a nightowl with neighbors and a daywalker better half........

Scootermuppet and gball like this.
  15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

So Raiyn, tell us how you really feel about your Katana. ;)

I haven't had a chance to try one and Im real curious.

16. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'll jump on that one too. In 40 years of playing guitar it is without question the best practice amp I have owned. But, it is not a giggable amp IMO. Not even mic'd because of the above-mentioned flexibiliy problems.

If was planning to gig one I'd get the 100 head along with the floorboard and plug it into my 4x12. It'd shake the room just fine.

pedecamp likes this.
  17. Scootermuppet

I'm fairly sure it wasn't designed to be a giggable amp - that's what the 100 watt ones are for :smile:

But it sure is one hell of a practice amp! :dude: :D

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I love it! It's a great practice amp and you can experiment with all kinds of tones and effects. It has limited use in a performance setting however due to the lack of a "floorboard" and potentially getting overpowered. For my purposes as a non-gigging noodler it suits my needs, but I'd love a compatible footboard for the sake of convenience.

I'd agree with that.

The K50 straight up KILLS my old Peavey.

I think I might start my nephew on the path..... A Rondo axe breathed on by me (and possibly Dave) and my old Envoy 110?

:jam:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    pedecamp likes this.
  19. Scootermuppet

I'd like to hear one mike'd through a decent PA though - right?
    :D:D:D

Raiyn likes this.
  20. DrBGood

I saw a real one at the store the other day. Man that thing is small for a 12".