finally took some pics of my '08 Robot...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by D-DAY, Dec 20, 2009.

1. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

Well, I found my camera and got off my butt and took a few snaps before my battery ran out... Sorry about the cat hair and pick dust, those are two staple items at my house!
    With the power tower:
    [​IMG]
    Real inlay!
    [​IMG]
    they're big, but they weigh nothing...
    [​IMG]
    maybe I should put this in the heeljoint thread:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm seriously thinking about ripping out all the electronic garbage, it already won't take a charge after six months. Plays great though!

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

She's a Beauty............. 8) 8) 8)

Is the battery thing a glitch in the design maybe.................?

3. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Is it a 9 volt NiCad? Just switch it with a 9 volt Lithium, it'll last forever.

4. miniangus

miniangus New Member

nice. ps when u used different tunings is it hard to get it back to normal tuning after u have used it using all those weird sings on the knob

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

nice to look at... I sure like the idea of the Robot. maybe I'm too traditional minded
    to buy one. I've been predicting for years that we'd be playing guitars that stayed in
    tune automatically... you bend a note and it bends it right back to 440! *laughs

Glad to hear it plays great. Let us know if the battery idea works out. It would be
    a good thing if your OneSpot would power the guitar too, when you plug it into the
    tuner pedal. Or if your amp would power it. Come on, Roland, figure it out.
    (oh yea, they went with Fender...)

6. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

Hi all-

I'm trying to address the battery issue, but it doesn't have regular terminals and the charger is 12VDC so I'm not sure this is a 9V battery. I've been corresponding with Gibson regarding the trouble, and so far they haven't told me anything I haven't tried, including the emergency charge and shorter cable. They recommend >1ft patch, which I have been using. I get 12V off the wall wart, but less than .5V off the guitar cable when metering.

The system seems to work well (when it works) for solid tuning at 440, but I really haven't messed with the other tunings because I could retune it faster by ear and hand- it is seldom anywhere near accurate the first go around from outside of a half step detune. It is wonderful for quick touch-ups between songs with no noise however; it makes sets seamless in the same tuning.

If I hadn't bought this for well below dealer cost I would never have touched it- it plays like a dream but is virtually useless without the electronics working because you have to pull out the keys to tune manually, and they are very loose at that point and don't like to stay in tune.